Springfield prodigy (Read 1536 times)

Xavierbaker

Springfield prodigy
« on: March 03, 2023, 01:10:22 AM »
Anyone on this forum have first hand experience with the Springfield prodigy? I know I can’t expect a lot from a $1500 2011…compared to a 3k 2011 like a staccato….however I am interested to hear if any of you who have one (despite all the internet claims downing the firearm) still like it for what it is and think it’s worth the 1500.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

changemyoil66

Re: Springfield prodigy
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2023, 08:46:18 AM »
I too was interested in this until the range shut down.  And I'm wery of any 1st gen gun.  But for me to get a 2011, I will wait until the mag ban goes away. HIFICO already has a lawsuit pending in the courts. Abbott vs. Lopez (Connors/Shikada/ Atty Gen).

bushmasta55

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • "Drop your weapons!" "Come and take them!"
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2023, 11:18:23 PM »
Just picked up a Rock Island 1911A2 Tac Ultra in 9mm.  Have not shoot it yet, its basically the poor mans 2011.  The only thing is it's a pain in the butt to find a holster for it.  Keep you guys updated. 

stangzilla

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2023, 12:48:12 AM »
You should consider the Sig P229 RXP Legion or P226 RXP Legion
trigger is great. Function is flawless. Accuracy is tight
I have the 226 Legion RXP SAO with Romeo1 pro. I like it a lot
I'm a 1911 guy, and the Legion is a lot like a 1911 and is easier to take down and clean. It is at least equal if not better than my Springfield Loaded Operator
You can get the Legion with optic installed with tall night sights. That's how I got mine
It's a time proven platform that runs and works very well. I've had zero problems with it. I'm super satisfied with the P226 Legion. The 229 is probably the same

raudi

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2023, 09:38:11 PM »
I was thinking of getting a prodigy and sending it to this guy for the "better" prodigy upgrade kit.

https://skipsguns.com/2011-services/

But at $1500 for the gun and $500 for the upgrade I was getting close to Staccato money. Ended up ordering a Staccato P instead.

I would look at bul armory's sas II TAC ultra. Seems like the best value at $1900. Just have to wait for them to come back in stock on the website.

stangzilla

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2023, 08:11:56 AM »
this guy says the problem is the cerakote to cerakote finish on the slide to frame interface.
even without firing it, there was a whole lot of black crap that came off
then 1000+ cycles of racking the slide, a whole lot more of the cerakote will come off and be a gummy mess in there
after that and cleaning, it's much better

« Last Edit: March 08, 2023, 10:08:30 AM by stangzilla »

Xavierbaker

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2023, 10:29:04 AM »
this guy says the problem is the cerakote to cerakote finish on the slide to frame interface.
even without firing it, there was a whole lot of black crap that came off
then 1000+ cycles of racking the slide, a whole lot more of the cerakote will come off and be a gummy mess in there
after that and cleaning, it's much better

Interesting, I’ll give it another look.

changemyoil66

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2023, 11:11:41 AM »
Colt M45's had a paint issue also until they changed much later.  But theirs was that the paint would come off easily, exposing the metal.

Like I said, 1st gens have their issues.

raudi

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2023, 10:25:41 AM »
Interesting, I’ll give it another look.

I handled a prodigy at a LGS, I noticed that the slide was getting hung up on the disconnector as many have complained about. I guess i could go away after a few 100 rounds, but I didnt want to take the chance.

changemyoil66

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2023, 11:43:01 AM »
I handled a prodigy at a LGS, I noticed that the slide was getting hung up on the disconnector as many have complained about. I guess i could go away after a few 100 rounds, but I didnt want to take the chance.

I wonder if the manual says there's a break in period. Like how Shadow System specifically states a 200rd break in period. So expect jams.

stangzilla

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2023, 12:37:55 PM »
I wonder if the manual says there's a break in period. Like how Shadow System specifically states a 200rd break in period. So expect jams.

I believe Springfield does say there is a break in period. Idk how many rounds

Downfall

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2023, 02:29:18 PM »
Picked this up, just waiting for range to reopen and not be busy. But I hear some good things regarding the prodigy on the 2011 sub reddit

Cain57

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2023, 06:07:48 PM »
Picked this up, just waiting for range to reopen and not be busy. But I hear some good things regarding the prodigy on the 2011 sub reddit

Very nice you’re gonna love it. My C2 is hard to beat.

drck1000

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2023, 08:09:03 AM »
For the prices of the Prodigy and Staccatos, Staccatos are the way to go IMO.  You're at about 75% of a Staccato with the average price of the Prodigy.  Even if the percentage was less, I personally would spend the extra $$$ for a Staccato. 

I've shot a few mags of a Prodigy and not impressed.  A couple of malfuncitons, but could be attributed to a break-in period.  I've shot a few Staccatos, including the P and XC and have been very impressed.  Overall, I'm not a big fan of the 2011, especially with 10 round mag limitations for Hawaii.  If a Staccato became available on the lightly used market for a good price, I would jump on it.  I was chatting with a couple of folks at a LGS and they reported seeing pretty good pricing on lightly used Staccatos, but mostly on the mainland.

changemyoil66

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2023, 09:01:06 AM »
For the prices of the Prodigy and Staccatos, Staccatos are the way to go IMO.  You're at about 75% of a Staccato with the average price of the Prodigy.  Even if the percentage was less, I personally would spend the extra $$$ for a Staccato. 

I've shot a few mags of a Prodigy and not impressed.  A couple of malfuncitons, but could be attributed to a break-in period.  I've shot a few Staccatos, including the P and XC and have been very impressed.  Overall, I'm not a big fan of the 2011, especially with 10 round mag limitations for Hawaii.  If a Staccato became available on the lightly used market for a good price, I would jump on it.  I was chatting with a couple of folks at a LGS and they reported seeing pretty good pricing on lightly used Staccatos, but mostly on the mainland.

^^^^This sums it up.

But in the end, it's your money and you buy what you want.

Downfall

« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2023, 01:01:36 PM »
Very nice you’re gonna love it. My C2 is hard to beat.

You get around to doing any custom work to it?

stangzilla

« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2023, 08:02:03 AM »
after the break in process, 100% reliable