Scopes/LPVO/Red dots @KHSC (Read 1203 times)

Downfall

Scopes/LPVO/Red dots @KHSC
« on: March 05, 2023, 09:14:27 AM »
Hey,

Just wanted to get a general feel for what everyone is using at the Rifle side of KHSC. I want to get an LPVO, cause I have crappy vision, and want a better experience with rifles for myself and my wife, but feel maybe its overkill for the 50/100yds

Thanks.

changemyoil66

Re: Scopes/LPVO/Red dots @KHSC
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2023, 09:58:33 AM »
U do what u need. Everyones reasoning is different.

I only got rds and once zerod, i dont go back to the rifle side. My vision is fine with corective lenses.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

stangzilla

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2023, 10:06:44 AM »
Depends what your purpose for the rifle
What kine rifle? Bolt action, AR?
I'll use a red dot, LPVO 1-10, scope up to 25x, or a pistol with a red dot out to 100 yards
My AR"s I have  red dot or LPVO 1-10
Bolt action up to 25x. Its overkill for 100 yards but the rifle can reach out further so that's my choice for certain rifles
Whatever you get, get something good quality. Dont go cheap. Inexpensive yes, but not some cheapo no name brand

jd0210

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2023, 10:11:22 AM »
Seen a guy with a acog+rmr on what was either a m&p22 or a hk416-22 on the silhouette side once. Pretty badass 22 😂

Downfall

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2023, 10:26:52 AM »
Depends what your purpose for the rifle
What kine rifle? Bolt action, AR?
I'll use a red dot, LPVO 1-10, scope up to 25x, or a pistol with a red dot out to 100 yards
My AR"s I have  red dot or LPVO 1-10
Bolt action up to 25x. Its overkill for 100 yards but the rifle can reach out further so that's my choice for certain rifles
Whatever you get, get something good quality. Dont go cheap. Inexpensive yes, but not some cheapo no name brand

it will be an AR-15, my wife enjoys shooting rifle more than pistol, maybe eventually get a bolt action for more precision shooting down the road. I was looking at getting the Nightforce ATACR 1x8x24

Downfall

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2023, 10:27:25 AM »
Seen a guy with a acog+rmr on what was either a m&p22 or a hk416-22 on the silhouette side once. Pretty badass 22 😂

yea that does sound pretty bad ass, I love seeing what other people are shooting.

stangzilla

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2023, 11:57:05 AM »
it will be an AR-15, my wife enjoys shooting rifle more than pistol, maybe eventually get a bolt action for more precision shooting down the road. I was looking at getting the Nightforce ATACR 1x8x24

Nightforce isnt cheapo, for sure
That's a really good optic!

zippz

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2023, 04:25:35 PM »
Night force seems very excessive for your needs, unless you have a rifle to match and money to blow.  You'd be reloading or shooting match ammo with it, and most of the shooting you'd do with it would be on the mainland...competitions, courses, shooting at farther distances.
If you're new to shooting rifles, I'd recommend a cheaper one like a vortex viper class or maybe a bit under.  Take some training classes and then you'll better know what you need.
Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

ren

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2023, 04:38:31 PM »
I don't see how getting a solid piece of equipment is "excessive" for someone's needs. If you want reliability, tracking and not wasting ammo chasing zeroes - get the Nightforce. Great glass, reliable, service and repeatability. A NF rep was on another forum and explained that their turrets (with the exception of the SHV line) are made durable for turret twirlers.
Deeds Not Words

aieahound

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2023, 05:24:24 PM »
You thinking about a nightforce 1-8x … then Hell yeah get the nightforce. Buy once, cry once.
Way more enjoyable at the range for you and the wife than an RDS. Can get the RDS later if you want.
(Just my opinion and I’m crying because I can’t afford a Nightforce)

Downfall

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2023, 06:12:15 PM »
You thinking about a nightforce 1-8x … then Hell yeah get the nightforce. Buy once, cry once.
Way more enjoyable at the range for you and the wife than an RDS. Can get the RDS later if you want.
(Just my opinion and I’m crying because I can’t afford a Nightforce)

I had an aimpoint red dot on my last rifle, Just don't remember how we liked it or not, this was 2014.

Downfall

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2023, 06:14:24 PM »
Night force seems very excessive for your needs, unless you have a rifle to match and money to blow.  You'd be reloading or shooting match ammo with it, and most of the shooting you'd do with it would be on the mainland...competitions, courses, shooting at farther distances.
If you're new to shooting rifles, I'd recommend a cheaper one like a vortex viper class or maybe a bit under.  Take some training classes and then you'll better know what you need.

I feel ya, I was looking at Vortex and added up the cost, then upsold myself hahaha. I was also looking at Primary Arms Compact PLxC 1-8x24 hear really good things on this one.

drck1000

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2023, 07:45:24 PM »
I have a NF ATACR 1-8 on an AR. I love it. If you have the means, it’s an excellent optic.

Does it fit your needs? That’s a good question. I had specific criteria. I started in the Vortex Viper range and ended up with the NF and don’t regret it. It’s pricy for sure. Will it help at KHSC? Sure, but there are plenty of other budget friendly options. The more I researched, the more I was set on the ATACR.

Most of my ARs have red dot with no magnifier. I enjoy shooting those, even at KHSC at 50 and 100. Magnification can make for a more enjoyable experience, but not needed.

zippz

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2023, 05:57:37 PM »
I don't see how getting a solid piece of equipment is "excessive" for someone's needs. If you want reliability, tracking and not wasting ammo chasing zeroes - get the Nightforce. Great glass, reliable, service and repeatability. A NF rep was on another forum and explained that their turrets (with the exception of the SHV line) are made durable for turret twirlers.

A $2800 nightforce scope for shooting 50 to 100 yards is excessive.  Especially if it's on a milspec ar15 with 55gr fmj.

We don't know exactly what his intentions are, and it seems like he's new to rifles.  If he's rich, then go for it, but most people are limited.  But the extra $2000 could be better spent on training.

Safest answer is to go for lower cost stuff to try out and better determine what he needs later.
Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

ren

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2023, 06:40:28 PM »
Back in the 90s when I first started.
- bought a Simmons scope ($80) and spotter ($60) from Sports Authority. Scope didn't track well and zero was questionable. Wasted boxes of ammo. Glass had a yellow tint. Spotter was OK but it also had a short eye relief and some tint to the color. Wasted $140 not including ammo and fruitless trips to the range.
- Started highpower shooting in early 2000. Bought a cheap DPMS upper. Sights didn't track. Went to a match in AZ and found out the hard way. Travel expenses, ammo, time prepping and very shitty scores.

Yes, you can experience this path training with cheap shitty equipment. You won't get good feedback on what you need to improve.
Kowas, Leicas NF, some Leupolds, some Vortexs, March, Trijicon optics aren't cheap but what you get is reliability. As you get older time is more valuable. If you want valuable training you'll train with equipment that you can rely on.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2023, 06:58:04 PM by ren »
Deeds Not Words

Downfall

« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2023, 10:02:09 AM »
A $2800 nightforce scope for shooting 50 to 100 yards is excessive.  Especially if it's on a milspec ar15 with 55gr fmj.

We don't know exactly what his intentions are, and it seems like he's new to rifles.  If he's rich, then go for it, but most people are limited.  But the extra $2000 could be better spent on training.

Safest answer is to go for lower cost stuff to try out and better determine what he needs later.

This will be my second rifle, first rifle had a aimpoint red dot and we shot it at Koko head, Wife really enjoyed it. My primary goal is just to have fun let my wife enjoy more precision shooting vs a red dot. Maybe get further in to down the road with more rifle purchases with different calibers. I ended up picking up a Nightforce ATACR 1x8 for 2400 with a badger ordnance mount. I think I scored pretty well on it since the scope does come with a lifetime warranty that follows the scope. (already contacted Nightforce) I don't see any money lost if I ever just want to sell it, especially getting such a good deal. 
« Last Edit: March 07, 2023, 10:07:20 AM by Downfall »

drck1000

« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2023, 10:18:37 AM »
This will be my second rifle, first rifle had a aimpoint red dot and we shot it at Koko head, Wife really enjoyed it. My primary goal is just to have fun let my wife enjoy more precision shooting vs a red dot. Maybe get further in to down the road with more rifle purchases with different calibers. I ended up picking up a Nightforce ATACR 1x8 for 2400 with a badger ordnance mount. I think I scored pretty well on it since the scope does come with a lifetime warranty that follows the scope. (already contacted Nightforce) I don't see any money lost if I ever just want to sell it, especially getting such a good deal.
That’s a pretty good price. I went with a Geissele mount. I also have an ATACR 7-35 for a bolt gun. Awesome optics.

Akubone1

« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2023, 10:21:03 AM »
Good choice on the nightforce.  Get good stuff for your wife.  That’s pretty cool that you can shoot as a couple. 

Downfall

« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2023, 10:28:37 AM »
Good choice on the nightforce.  Get good stuff for your wife.  That’s pretty cool that you can shoot as a couple.

Yes, I think its pretty cool we can shoot together, pistols not so much, shes not a fan of pistols. Last time we were at the range we had a aimpoint red dot with a spotting scope and I found it a bit overwhelming just to try and see what we hit. So I figure a 1x8 should be pretty good.