Might get into reloading (Read 31201 times)

oldfart

Re: Might get into reloading
« Reply #100 on: March 12, 2018, 04:35:19 PM »
I have those bullets and the groove is very shallow.

But if you get up to midrange speeds (1000fps) you will need a fairly heavy crimp to prevent jumping.
That would be a bad thing in a revolver.
What, Me Worry?

shdws

« Reply #101 on: March 13, 2018, 09:27:08 AM »
I have those bullets and the groove is very shallow.

But if you get up to midrange speeds (1000fps) you will need a fairly heavy crimp to prevent jumping.
That would be a bad thing in a revolver.
Yea, the cannelure on these bullets seem more like decoration than functional to me, to be honest.  At best, a zone to aim for and a gauge to visually check depth.  I have the lee FCD roll crimping to what Lee says would be a 3/4 of a full roll crimp.  If I try to do a full crimp, it will really slice into the plating more than I'm comfortable with.  With the crimp on these, I cannot remove the bullets using the hammer inertial puller.  I've been having to mangle the bullet to pull them using a locking pliers and the press to muscle the bullet out of its crimp and neck tension for inspection.  I will be testing these single shot at first with two rounds loaded, while continuously keeping one round loaded to see if it jumps at all. 

These are attempts at 38+P stepping up 4.6 to 4.8 gr HP38 (Hodgdon says 4.6 gr max for 38 length case) with 158 gr plated Xtreme SWC on nickel plated federal brass and regular SPP.  We're barely looking at 800 ft/s on these as I'll be firing out of 4" and 6" barrels.  I'm interested to see how the nickel plated cases hold up - trying to keep the flares and crimps at absolute minimums.

oldfart

« Reply #102 on: March 13, 2018, 09:52:19 AM »
Pretty nice looking.
At low speeds I don't think you have a jumping problem because those are plated and thus have no lube to make them slippery.
Unlike traditional lead bullets.
What, Me Worry?

shdws

« Reply #103 on: March 15, 2018, 01:48:47 PM »
All of the rounds went bang nicely.  Closer to the top end load, it feels pretty similar in power and speed to a 38+P, but you can really tell the powder is different with the HP38 than factory 357 or even 38spl loadings.  A little funny shooting a revolver that kinda snaps like a 380/9mm now rather than a palm bruiser 357.  Also, the point of impact was higher than a normal 38spl+P, which I thought unusual, but these might be moving faster than I thought.  These SWC bullets do make nice clean holes in the target.  Makes it hard to see impacts on the shoot-n-see targets I use, as it doesnt flake the black top layer off as much as other bullet types. 

I really didnt get much conclusive accuracy data though - I was shooting like crap today for whatever reason.  Just one of those days where you start to doubt everything and start messing with the windage and elevation (when I probably didnt need to).  It wasnt the gun or the  reloads though, I dont think, as I brought two other guns and shot them equally poorly  :rofl:.

Edit: I also brought the calipers to test for bullet jumping, and theyre stuck in there good.  Will test similarly when I load full magnums. 
« Last Edit: March 15, 2018, 01:56:52 PM by shdws »

oldfart

« Reply #104 on: March 15, 2018, 03:01:24 PM »
Slower bullets impact higher from revolvers.
Not so much from semiautomatics
What, Me Worry?

shdws

« Reply #105 on: March 15, 2018, 03:16:59 PM »
Slower bullets impact higher from revolvers.
Not so much from semiautomatics
:thumbsup: :shaka:

I noticed out of the 32 that slower=lower and this going opposite that was confusing me.  I was shooting out of a 6" barrel today.

Only thing I can think of is that the heavy bullet going slower down the barrel, combined with the snappy powder, causes the muzzle to flip more as the bullet exits even though it doesnt have substantial recoil.  I suppose out to 50, the bullet drop would negate that trend and it would likely start to hit lower than the faster bullets. 

oldfart

« Reply #106 on: March 15, 2018, 05:19:13 PM »
Yep that's the theory. Interesting, huh?
What, Me Worry?

shdws

« Reply #107 on: March 15, 2018, 08:28:56 PM »
Yep that's the theory. Interesting, huh?
You think you know guns a little, and there's always something new around every corner. 

Anyway, I want to spice it up to around 1050 ft/s but I'm not sure if I should jump to mag primers and a low end charge of H110/WW296 or try something like 5.4 gr unique.  Just bump up the grains of HP38?  I seem to be near max useful charges in this application.

Inspector

« Reply #108 on: March 15, 2018, 08:37:25 PM »
You think you know guns a little, and there's always something new around every corner. 

Anyway, I want to spice it up to around 1050 ft/s but I'm not sure if I should jump to mag primers and a low end charge of H110/WW296 or try something like 5.4 gr unique.  Just bump up the grains of HP38?  I seem to be near max useful charges in this application.
Be careful with low end loads of H110/296. Not saying not to use the recommended low charge from Hodgdons. Just don’t go lower. H110/296 have issues when going below the recommended minimum. Not saying you were going to do it, just be careful is all I am saying.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?22288-H110-reduced-loads

I would also use magnum primers with H110/296.
SCIENCE THAT CAN’T BE QUESTIONED IS PROPAGANDA!!!

shdws

« Reply #109 on: March 15, 2018, 09:12:24 PM »
Be careful with low end loads of H110/296. Not saying not to use the recommended low charge from Hodgdons. Just don’t go lower. H110/296 have issues when going below the recommended minimum. Not saying you were going to do it, just be careful is all I am saying.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?22288-H110-reduced-loads

I would also use magnum primers with H110/296.
Yup, I've read the warnings about that. 

Something about the pressure being too low for full ignition of the powder and you could get a squib.  I wasn't sure how light they we're talking though but I'm guessing it was well under the mins.

oldfart

« Reply #110 on: March 16, 2018, 10:21:08 AM »
I was exploring my computer and rediscovered some old polaroids
What, Me Worry?

2ahavvaii

« Reply #111 on: March 16, 2018, 10:29:48 AM »
32 acp, i would weigh.  and start on the low side, that gives you some room for error and you dont load too hot.

i think starting with something like .38sp in a 357 revolver is easier to work with for someone brand new.   *Deleting bad advice*

honestly with standard 38sp loads, you dont really need to worry much about a crimp.  357 full loads yeah.  38sp+ loads, maybe but depends.  You can get away with using a mild taper/roll crimp.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 10:44:54 AM by 2ahavvaii »

oldfart

« Reply #112 on: March 16, 2018, 10:33:21 AM »
You can screw up and literally fill the entire 38sp casing with powder, and it shouldn't cause issues for the revolver.
=====
ummmm
Better rethink that
What, Me Worry?

2ahavvaii

« Reply #113 on: March 16, 2018, 10:44:35 AM »
=====
ummmm
Better rethink that

sorry, yeah, that was a really bad exaggeration.  the revolver would handle the charge. but the case likely wouldn't stand up to it.   Easy to accidentally double charge 38 too since the case is mostly empty.  keep magnum charges to 357 casing, and don't exceed +p loads.   It also can be really bad to accidentally use the wrong powder.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 10:50:52 AM by 2ahavvaii »

Inspector

« Reply #114 on: March 16, 2018, 10:45:26 AM »
Is a Polaroid what you get when you sit on a block of ice?

Inspector

« Reply #115 on: March 16, 2018, 10:49:29 AM »
sorry, yeah, that was a really bad exaggeration.  the revolver would handle the charge. but the case likely wouldn't stand up to it.   Easy to accidentally double charge 38 too since the case is mostly empty . It also can be really bad to accidentally use the wrong powder.
Actually your advice would be good if you were referring to using Trail Boss. I fill my 38spl cases to under the bottom of the bullet using Trail Boss. It is a very enjoyable load to shoot.

2ahavvaii

« Reply #116 on: March 16, 2018, 10:53:40 AM »
Actually your advice would be good if you were referring to using Trail Boss. I fill my 38spl cases to under the bottom of the bullet using Trail Boss. It is a very enjoyable load to shoot.

I was not, unfortunately.  I do appreciate the correction.  And I'm guessing that even with trail boss, it would be a bad idea to accidentally compress the load.

oldfart

« Reply #117 on: March 16, 2018, 10:55:06 AM »
Is a Polaroid what you get when you sit on a block of ice?
===========
 :rofl:
I stand up when I reload now
What, Me Worry?

shdws

« Reply #118 on: March 16, 2018, 11:29:01 AM »
32 acp, i would weigh.  and start on the low side, that gives you some room for error and you dont load too hot.

i think starting with something like .38sp in a 357 revolver is easier to work with for someone brand new.   *Deleting bad advice*

honestly with standard 38sp loads, you dont really need to worry much about a crimp.  357 full loads yeah.  38sp+ loads, maybe but depends.  You can get away with using a mild taper/roll crimp.
:shaka:
I think I got lucky and nailed the 32acp on the first go.  The cheap lee auto drum measure can do my 2.3 gn charge for hundreds of rounds with more consistency than my powder balances can possibly pick up (I'd need one additional decimal resolution in grains).  When I first experimented, I weighed 100% of the powder drops and every single one came out spot on. 

I took the 32 to the silhouette range last weekend and put a few hundred reloads through it.  It has become my best shooting, non-match/target gun with this load.  The recoil impulse is sweet and accuracy at these ranges is extremely unexpected.  I can ring the small plates at 50 with regularity and even managed to hit the big 75 plate 7/8 times in the mag on "rapid fire" (fastest allowable).  At 75, I have to hold about 8-10" high.  Out to 100, I cant hit any of those plates and even if I did, it would have so little energy the hit wouldn't make a sound loud enough for my earmuffs to pick up.  Already at 75 its lost a lot of energy and the hits are soft.  I'd say I'm totally 100% satisfied for now just leaving good enough be on that one.

As for my 38/357 project, it appears I am going to have to play around a bit more with bullet weights, powder types, and powder charges to get what I want.  I friggin love learning new things and this reloading bug has hit me hard.  One of my initial goals was to reproduce both full fire-breathing magnum loads along with soft shooting loads, but I'd ideally like to have my POA be POI from 25-50.  I don't know if I'm chasing a fantasy or what, but I cant stand the 6 o clock hold and want both heavy and light loads to hit at the same place  :P.  My revolver has those bomar type rear sights so I had it zero'd to give me POA=POI with 38s AND hot 357s from 25-50.  357 are like lasers even out to 100 though where the 38 drops off hard after 50, and that behavior was predicable with factory loads. 

Looks like this guy is probably going to be picking up a few different types of powders this weekend.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 11:51:55 AM by shdws »

shdws

« Reply #119 on: March 16, 2018, 02:04:36 PM »