How easy do you think it should be to buy a gun? (Read 5504 times)

changemyoil66

Re: How easy do you think it should be to buy a gun?
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2018, 08:37:57 AM »
I say two guns. After all you only have two hands so you can't shoot more than two at once!

Actually it should be only 1, unless you take a class that specializes in support side.  Need to show proof you can handle with weak hand.

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2018, 12:13:58 PM »
Actually it should be only 1, unless you take a class that specializes in support side.  Need to show proof you can handle with weak hand.

Even with one per hand, you can only fire one at a time while taking any sort of aim at the intended target/s.  Two would, however, double the amount of ammo you can use before reloading, assuming both have the max, legal amount loaded.

Maybe we need 5 rd mag limits for anyone owning 2+ handguns .....  10 rds are SOOOOOO much safer.
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

changemyoil66

« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2018, 01:23:53 PM »
Even with one per hand, you can only fire one at a time while taking any sort of aim at the intended target/s.  Two would, however, double the amount of ammo you can use before reloading, assuming both have the max, legal amount loaded.

Maybe we need 5 rd mag limits for anyone owning 2+ handguns .....  10 rds are SOOOOOO much safer.

Don't give our fascist Hawaii government any ideas.  Next will be a total of 10rds limited per gun (1 mag).  Since many can reload in under a second.

punaperson

« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2018, 01:49:06 PM »
Don't give our fascist Hawaii government any ideas. Next will be a total of 10rds limited per gun (1 mag).  Since many can reload in under a second.
They don't need to look here for suggestions. They have all they can use from the Bloomberg, et al. phalanx of lawyers who push the same bills all over the country. In just a couple weeks we'll be finding out what they have in store for us to "promote public safety" with their "commonsense gun safety regulations". I can hardly wait.  :crazy:

eyeeatingfish

« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2018, 09:39:35 PM »

I was kidding.
I always point out that we only have two hands to the people who complain about why one guy can own 20 or 30 guns to illustrate why having dozens doesn't make someone any more dangerous than having 2.

zippz

« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2018, 11:36:02 AM »
I want to say there should be no restrictions and that you should be able to buy one over the counter, but it's difficult to set asside thoughts of wanting some restrictions so criminals can't get them.  Most criminals get their guns illegally through burglaries and the black market so it requires effort for them to do so versus just buying one from the store.  Black market guns typically sell for 300 to 500% the cost at retail and there is a limited supply.  I'd like to see the stats on how illegal guns are acquired like through burgs, straw purchases, private transactions, etc.

I think instant background check system is good since it's very fast and unobtrusive as long as there is no tracking.  There should be a quick method of appealing rejections.  It could be opened up to private transactions too where the seller just calls a number to check with enforcement being if it's later found to be used in a crime and you didn't do the check or ignored a rejection, then you're liable.

Guns should be able to be bought across state lines.  I'm for the legalizing the manufacture of full auto rifles and removing restrictions on suppressors.

Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2018, 11:42:43 AM »
I want to say there should be no restrictions and that you should be able to buy one over the counter, but it's difficult to set asside thoughts of wanting some restrictions so criminals can't get them.  Most criminals get their guns illegally through burglaries and the black market so it requires effort for them to do so versus just buying one from the store.  Black market guns typically sell for 300 to 500% the cost at retail and there is a limited supply.  I'd like to see the stats on how illegal guns are acquired like through burgs, straw purchases, private transactions, etc.

I think instant background check system is good since it's very fast and unobtrusive as long as there is no tracking.  There should be a quick method of appealing rejections.  It could be opened up to private transactions too where the seller just calls a number to check with enforcement being if it's later found to be used in a crime and you didn't do the check or ignored a rejection, then you're liable.

Guns should be able to be bought across state lines.  I'm for the legalizing the manufacture of full auto rifles and removing restrictions on suppressors.

Based on a study (interviews with criminals in prison), 80% of firearms used in crimes are obtained through "known acquaintances", such as friends, family and gang members.  They are reluctant to trust a stranger, as it could be a police sting or the seller might point police to the buyer if he's arrested.

The assumption that guns in the hands of criminals were stolen or sold on Craig's List by legal buyers is not the norm.  In fact, the study found the average age of guns used for crimes is 15 years and passed through many hands.  Nobody wants to keep a gun tied to a crime for very long.
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

eyeeatingfish

« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2018, 07:15:21 PM »

I think if we are honest we have to admit that there are certain people who should not be legally allowed to own firearms and because of that I do agree there needs to be some restrictions. Guns are obtained through all manner of means, some stolen, some through straw purchases, and some legally purchased. Each aspect of the problem would require a different solution.  I think where liberals do have a point when they talk about the "gun show loophole"  is that it does represent an unknown transaction that is difficult to trace for study purposes. Maybe the criminal caught with the gun got it from an acquaintance but beyond that we don't know how many times that gun might have changed hands, legally or not.

There needs to be some level of regulation for private sales and I think we have talked about my idea for that which could even avoid registration. I split ways with you on the full auto though.