Costco Headlamp Useful (Read 15852 times)

oldfart

Costco Headlamp Useful
« on: December 03, 2012, 02:54:18 AM »
I was in Costco and saw this item. It is a 3-pack of LED headlamps with Duracell batteries for about 10 bucks.
You just strap it on your head and push the button and it lights up whatever you are doing.
I have bought several different types in the past for night fishing and stuff but this is a pretty good deal.
The reason why I bring this up in this category is that I tried wearing this thing while reloading and found that it is
useful for easily seeing the powder charge in the case and just for seeing what is going on without having to run multiple
external lights to illuminate all the dark spots in a multistage reloading press. Previously, I had to run 2 little spotlights to catch
The left and right side of the Dillon press. They get hot after a while and positioning them "just right" can be a pain.
These units have 10 leds and can select fire either 4 or 10 leds. 4 leds is plenty for reloading unless your eyes are really bad.
Battery life should be very long as I have other low-power led flashlights that run forever on a few AAA batteries.
Obviously, these are also really helpful for the usual applications like camping and night fishing.
What, Me Worry?

Inspector

Re: Costco Headlamp Useful
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2012, 07:48:41 AM »
Hey Oldfart,

Are the straps solid or stretchy? Do you think I could fit this on my hardhat for work?
SCIENCE THAT CAN’T BE QUESTIONED IS PROPAGANDA!!!

oldfart

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2012, 09:56:57 AM »
Hey Oldfart,

Are the straps solid or stretchy? Do you think I could fit this on my hardhat for work?
They are stretchy. Sorry I do not have a hardhat to try it on.
However looking at the unit, I see a sturdy curved mounting plate that could be screwed on to a hard hat. Just drill a couple small holes and add some nuts and bolts.
That might be a better solution than relying on straps to hold it. The weight is 3.5 oz. with the straps
I think it might be a splendid addition to a hard hat. See the photo.
Since you get 3 of them, you can use one for your hat and one for peering down the shell casing to make sure your powder is all there. Plus an extra spare.
Like Martha Stewart would say, "It's a good thing."  :shaka:
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 10:03:54 AM by oldfart »
What, Me Worry?

Inspector

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2012, 10:46:58 AM »
Unfortunately, drilling holes in a hardhat voids the so called protective qualities of the hat. In other words, we are not supposed to do this. And considering I am certified as a safety officer here in the state it would not look good for me to do this. I think I'll take a chance on 10 bucks and buy these.

Mahalo  :shaka:

oldfart

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2012, 12:15:16 PM »
Unfortunately, drilling holes in a hardhat voids the so called protective qualities of the hat. In other words, we are not supposed to do this. And considering I am certified as a safety officer here in the state it would not look good for me to do this. I think I'll take a chance on 10 bucks and buy these.

Copy that...
You can't go wrong at that price any way you look at it. They seem pretty well made for "made in china" stuff.
What, Me Worry?

new guy

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2012, 01:20:17 PM »
« Last Edit: August 10, 2016, 10:34:43 PM by new guy »
Your mindset is your primary weapon. - Jeff Cooper

new guy

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2012, 01:21:56 PM »
« Last Edit: August 10, 2016, 10:34:26 PM by new guy »
Your mindset is your primary weapon. - Jeff Cooper

oldfart

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2012, 03:37:47 PM »
Sorry for the slight hijack but kind of related to the topic, I just bought a 3-pack of Cree 200 Lumens flashlights from Costco for $17.95. Includes 9 AAA batteries (3 batts for each light).  Yes they are made in China.  No they are not Surefire or Streamlight. but for $17.95 for 3, they are hard to beat!! 1 for the car, 1 on the nightstand, 1 in the bugout bag. GTG!!

:stopjack:
====================
Yeah, I got those also. I got several 3-packs and split'em up and gave them out as xmas gifts last year. They are the flashlight of choice when we go camping.
What, Me Worry?

wirecounter

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2012, 06:23:07 PM »

You can "mount" it to the hard hat with silicone.  Simply apply the silicone, tape it in place, let it set overnight, and remove tape.  And, you can remove it if needed.

It is a good deal.  I do not really need one as I have one already . . . but $10 for 3?  I will figure it out.  Thanks oldfart!   :shaka:

macsak

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2012, 07:11:53 PM »
did you guys see the 1000 lumen flashlights?

aloha

steve

You can "mount" it to the hard hat with silicone.  Simply apply the silicone, tape it in place, let it set overnight, and remove tape.  And, you can remove it if needed.

It is a good deal.  I do not really need one as I have one already . . . but $10 for 3?  I will figure it out.  Thanks oldfart!   :shaka:

codeblue808

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2012, 10:15:21 PM »
Just bought those today but haven't opened it.  How are they?

Sorry for the slight hijack but kind of related to the topic, I just bought a 3-pack of Cree 200 Lumens flashlights from Costco for $17.95. Includes 9 AAA batteries (3 batts for each light).  Yes they are made in China.  No they are not Surefire or Streamlight. but for $17.95 for 3, they are hard to beat!! 1 for the car, 1 on the nightstand, 1 in the bugout bag. GTG!!

:stopjack:

oldfart

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2012, 10:37:04 PM »
Just bought those today but haven't opened it.  How are they?
================
Good luck opening the damn package. You can seriously slice yourself up on that sharp plastic clamshell.
Once the bleeding stops you will find the lights are pretty darn good for the price. When we go camping, it can light up the whole beach.
No crab is safe from the kids with these flashlights. :crazy:
What, Me Worry?

Kingkeoni

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2012, 03:20:36 AM »
================
Good luck opening the damn package. You can seriously slice yourself up on that sharp plastic clamshell.
Once the bleeding stops you will find the lights are pretty darn good for the price. When we go camping, it can light up the whole beach.
No crab is safe from the kids with these flashlights. :crazy:

Hahahaha, I can envision it now...

Flashing lights running up and down the beach.

At least you can see where the kids are.
Your number one Option for Personal Security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.

Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.

oldfart

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2012, 06:57:55 AM »
Hahahaha, I can envision it now...

Flashing lights running up and down the beach.

At least you can see where the kids are.
========================
True dat
What, Me Worry?

Inspector

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2012, 10:15:40 AM »
Why do I feel sorry for the crabs?  :rofl:

Haoleb

« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2012, 04:29:59 PM »
did you guys see the 1000 lumen flashlights?

aloha

steve

I bought one of the Coast 1000 lumen flashlights, I have another smaller "led lenser" which is basically coast flashlight I got at costco years back and it has been one of my most used tools. the first one I got broke after a few years so i sent it to coast and they mailed me a brand new one just like they say, no hassle. I saw these bigger ones and it seemed too good to be true at first for the price. I passed, went home, researched them and then decided to buy one. I also got the 10  pack of the enerloop batteries they sell to go in the flashlight. The light itself is great. I love it. Although i could do without the SOS feature. when the beam is in flood mode it really lights up a good size area, i am surprised how useful the flood mode is because usually on say a maglight you cant really see anything unless it is focused in all the way. Not the case with this one. When focused all the way in it will light up easy 150+ yards away. also when focused to a small beam it does also have a wider swath of light than just the beam so you still get some visibility all around as well. Overall a great buy for 50 bucks, cant go wrong! some have a more yellow and more white light than others so try a few out in the store if you prefer one over the other.

macsak

« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2012, 06:50:54 PM »
so the yellow/white from the light has nothing to do with the condition of the batteries?

anyone else thinks that it's a liability risk to have people be able to turn on 1000 lumen flashlights and point them anywhere?

aloha

steve

I bought one of the Coast 1000 lumen flashlights, I have another smaller "led lenser" which is basically coast flashlight I got at costco years back and it has been one of my most used tools. the first one I got broke after a few years so i sent it to coast and they mailed me a brand new one just like they say, no hassle. I saw these bigger ones and it seemed too good to be true at first for the price. I passed, went home, researched them and then decided to buy one. I also got the 10  pack of the enerloop batteries they sell to go in the flashlight. The light itself is great. I love it. Although i could do without the SOS feature. when the beam is in flood mode it really lights up a good size area, i am surprised how useful the flood mode is because usually on say a maglight you cant really see anything unless it is focused in all the way. Not the case with this one. When focused all the way in it will light up easy 150+ yards away. also when focused to a small beam it does also have a wider swath of light than just the beam so you still get some visibility all around as well. Overall a great buy for 50 bucks, cant go wrong! some have a more yellow and more white light than others so try a few out in the store if you prefer one over the other.

Mr. Farknocker

Costco Headlamp Useful
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2012, 07:13:18 PM »
+1

They are truly worth the money. I used mine to clear out a small storage room under my parents post n pier home and the little light was extremely helpful as i crawled around on my hands and knees.  I use a baseball cap with mine because it helps to keep the light from slipping down on your forehead down into your eyes. Look for the ones that have the ability to adjust to different angles.

codeblue808

« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2012, 09:26:56 PM »
lol, will keep that in mind when opening up my flashlights. 

Tom_G

« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2012, 10:44:04 PM »
While I approve of the increasing proliferation of small-but-powerful LED flashlights, I condemn the trend to use AAA batteries, and in particular, to use THREE of them.  I don't hate too many things in this world, but AAA batteries are on that short list!  And if I am forced to use them, why in the name of all that's holy would I be forced to use them in odd numbers?  THEY AREN'T SOLD THAT WAY!

/rant
The difference between theory and reality is that, in theory, there is no difference between theory and reality.