southwest airlines update (Read 9314 times)

changemyoil66

Re: southwest airlines update
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2019, 01:45:24 PM »
My HA employeed flight attendants are not happy.

Told em, i dont want HA to go down, just reduce their prices. We all know they jack up the price to vegas. All movies cost money now. No more free older movies.

Roundtrip to taiwan on China Airline is $800 and 11 hours. Almost double the distance, but not double the price. And all movies are fee.

Watched Bohemian Rhapsoday, a Star is Born, John Wick 2, Hidden Figures. 2 complete meals (entree, salad, drink, bread, fruit). Free blanket and headset.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2019, 01:48:56 PM »
My HA employeed flight attendants are not happy.

Told em, i dont want HA to go down, just reduce their prices. We all know they jack up the price to vegas. All movies cost money now. No more free older movies.

Roundtrip to taiwan on China Airline is $800 and 11 hours. Almost double the distance, but not double the price. And all movies are fee.

Watched Bohemian Rhapsoday, a Star is Born, John Wick 2, Hidden Figures. 2 complete meals (entree, salad, drink, bread, fruit). Free blanket and headset.

US airlines started charging for luggage unless you're a higher-level frequent flyer. The rationale was to recover from the 911 aftermath losses for airlines.

All airlines have been posting record profits for years now. No repeal of the luggage fees.  in fact, they've been making them worse. Some are talking of charging for carry-on now, since many passengers stopped checking bags to avoid the high fees.
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

6716J

« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2019, 07:03:25 PM »
Just looked at fares to LAS. Can book a round trip per person in June for $425 vs. Hawaiian for $680. That $250 adds up for a family of 4
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy.

RSN172

« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2019, 10:53:21 PM »
Change fees are even worse.  I wanted to change my flight to a day earlier to LAX more than a month in advance and HA wanted $200 per ticket.  For my wife and I that would have been $400.  I can see it if you were doing it one or two days before where they might not be able to sell the seat, but 33 days ahead?  This was not from a non peak day to a peak day.  It would have been from a Wed to a Tue and the Tue flight had more available seats than Wed. Needless to say, I kept the flights I had.

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2019, 11:16:07 PM »
Change fees are even worse.  I wanted to change my flight to a day earlier to LAX more than a month in advance and HA wanted $200 per ticket.  For my wife and I that would have been $400.  I can see it if you were doing it one or two days before where they might not be able to sell the seat, but 33 days ahead?  This was not from a non peak day to a peak day.  It would have been from a Wed to a Tue and the Tue flight had more available seats than Wed. Needless to say, I kept the flights I had.

If you buy non-refundable tickets, the change fees can be crazy high. HA charges $30 within Hawaii, and UP TO $300 for all others between HI and mainland US.  if you booked an Award ticket using FF miles, they'll charge you $50 PER SEGMENT if you make changes.

In addition to the change fee, they can also charge you additional fare if your original ticket price was less than the new one.

"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

RSN172

« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2019, 04:47:51 AM »
Even though I am a Pukalani Gold member onHA, Iwelcome SW to Hawaii.  Hopefully they will reign in some of HA crazy fees and fares.

Surf

« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2019, 04:37:24 PM »
I fly HNL-Hilo at least 2-3x per month and direct into Kona maybe 4 times a year.  West Coast/Vegas is often on Hawaiian, but many routes cross country may be with United as I have a lot of mileage there. 

I did some quick searches and Hawaiian HNL to Kona looks like it has dropped price already.  Hilo remains the same pricing, so waiting for a HNL - Hilo on SW.  Pricing from HNL to OAK RT, in the heart of start of summer, after school gets out, shows a similar booking for Hawaiian @ $655 and SW @ $485. 

I welcome the competition and I have no issue becoming a SW Airlines frequent flyer.

kekoa

« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2019, 07:24:05 PM »

HA takes care of non-rev before revenue customers.   

Not true! Not even close!

changemyoil66

« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2019, 07:51:33 PM »
And now my HA friends are like "u get what u pay for".  As long as the plane no crash, saving a few hundred per ticket is acceptable.

Seems like HA is doing an employee blitz campaign?

RSN172

« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2019, 04:31:57 AM »
Yeah, I no need pay $200 more for a "hot" meal, which is just a warmed up sandwich.  I bring my own food to eat any way.  My daughter booked a rt flight HNL-KOA on SW in June for $100.  Her flights on HA at the time of the booking would have been nearly double that.  More than double if you add baggage fees.

macsak

macsak

6716J

« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2019, 09:07:38 PM »
Hmmm... The 737 Max seems to be experiencing some difficulties.... And that is the planned equipment for the routes.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/10/business/boeing-737-max.html

macsak

« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2019, 09:39:28 PM »
Hmmm... The 737 Max seems to be experiencing some difficulties.... And that is the planned equipment for the routes.

china already grounded them

changemyoil66

« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2019, 11:12:31 PM »
Got to listen to some good tunes on the way home from Taiwan on China Airlines.

Queen, Sinatra, Cranberries, Michael Jackson, Diana Ross just to name a few and all free.

The hot meals were bbq pork and rice, teri pork and noodles, egg/ham/potato, pesto and chicken. All included and a bin of sealed headsets to use. Grab if need.

HA went from free meals to free  sandwitch to free nada.

macsak

« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2019, 12:11:29 PM »

UPDATE:
no MAX 8 are used to HI
https://beatofhawaii.com/boeing-737-max-8-flights-to-hawaii/

Heavies

« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2019, 11:19:25 PM »

Queen, Sinatra, Cranberries, Michael Jackson, Diana Ross just to name a few and all free.

The hot meals were bbq pork and rice, teri pork and noodles, egg/ham/potato, pesto and chicken. All included and a bin of sealed headsets to use. Grab if need.

As long as you didn't get the fish....  :rofl:

6716J

« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2019, 10:52:54 AM »

yeah what did happen with the in-fright meals? We used to get actual food and now its a crappy medium cold croissanwich thingy for breakfast flights or nothing overnight. Haven't done afternoon or evening so don't know what they get there.