Medical Kits - What's In Yours? Where Do You Buy Supplies? (Read 21939 times)

changemyoil66

Re: Medical Kits - What's In Yours? Where Do You Buy Supplies?
« Reply #40 on: July 10, 2017, 01:07:20 PM »
The problem is you need all the prerequisites AND they have to decide to take you. You have an oral interview and basically they decide if they want to have you on the course.

Sounds like it's not a course designed for people just wanting education for their personal interest, but more for those going into the EMT field for work.  Like the firefighters course UH (I think) offers.

drck1000

« Reply #41 on: July 18, 2017, 09:07:00 AM »
How often do you guys actively rotate out supplies?  I mean stuff that doesn't have expiration dates.  Like gauze, bandaids, etc.

The booboo pouch in my range bag gets used once in a while, so the bandaids get refilled every now and then.  The item that gets used the most is actually a roll of cloth athletic tape.  Super useful for a wide range of things and I always have a roll around, even in my golf bag. 

changemyoil66

« Reply #42 on: July 19, 2017, 08:29:39 AM »
How often do you guys actively rotate out supplies?  I mean stuff that doesn't have expiration dates.  Like gauze, bandaids, etc.

The booboo pouch in my range bag gets used once in a while, so the bandaids get refilled every now and then.  The item that gets used the most is actually a roll of cloth athletic tape.  Super useful for a wide range of things and I always have a roll around, even in my golf bag.

I do a function check on the TQ once a year, and the QuickClot when the XP date is (check once a year).  Everything else doesn't expire.

For my TQ in the car, every few months due to it being left in the center consul and the heat.

zippz

« Reply #43 on: July 19, 2017, 08:50:11 AM »
Sounds like it's not a course designed for people just wanting education for their personal interest, but more for those going into the EMT field for work.  Like the firefighters course UH (I think) offers.

You can send a request to the Red Cross or KCC and see if they can create a class if you can find a group of people that want to do it.
Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

changemyoil66

« Reply #44 on: August 09, 2017, 01:49:07 PM »
I'm looking to update my IFAK and am looking for one that I can attach to my back on my plate carrier and grab with either hand.

Something that's maybe held in with an elastic sleeve and handles on both left and right side that I can pull and the entire kit comes out.  So the elastic sleeve attaches to the plate carrier via MOLLE clips and is used to hold the IFAK in place.

drck1000

« Reply #45 on: August 09, 2017, 03:40:55 PM »
I'm looking to update my IFAK and am looking for one that I can attach to my back on my plate carrier and grab with either hand.

Something that's maybe held in with an elastic sleeve and handles on both left and right side that I can pull and the entire kit comes out.  So the elastic sleeve attaches to the plate carrier via MOLLE clips and is used to hold the IFAK in place.
I have the Dark Angel IFAK and the vacuum sealed contents can be retrieved with either hand by pulling on a small tab as long as you can reach.

ITS Tactical also had pouches that can be opened from a loop on the top that sort of opens the pouch.  They also have these fast tabs where you pull on the tabs and the clips slide out from the MOLLE loops and the entire pouch falls free.  As long as you have a MOLLE pouch, you can use those fast tabs (called Molly stix).

https://store.itstactical.com/molly-stix-pair.html 

mangosteenqueen

« Reply #46 on: October 01, 2017, 07:50:36 PM »
I bought a box of equate rolled gauze and surgical dressing from walmart and used a food vacuum/seal machines to compress and seal them into a plastic food bag. I wouldn't say they're the best option but they seemed cheap, they do seem to work, and are an option.
I do have israeli bandages, H&H, and oales modular bandages on hand but I wanted to explore options that you can get at the local supermarket and ways to store them than ordering online. Serious medical equipment isn't all that easy to come by on the east side of the big island if there is anywhere that does stock them.

I used the duct tape idea that I learned from skinnymedic (youtube) where you put a long strip of duct tape above the slit where the bandage wrapping tears open so that you can get a better grip/surface area to grab while tearing in a case your hands are soaked in blood and sweat.

drck1000

« Reply #47 on: October 02, 2017, 12:16:18 PM »
SNIP
Serious medical equipment isn't all that easy to come by on the east side of the big island if there is anywhere that does stock them.

Beyond simple stuff like bandaids, gauze squares, tape, etc. I've got most online.  Many healthcare professionals have told me the same.  A family member had a home nurse come by for a couple of months and during that time, they brought stuff to take care of a wound that was healing.  Even they said better to go online.  Some sites have so much stuff though that you kind of have to know what you're looking for or you'll be searching for a long time, which is something I've noticed.  The nurse was cool too and gave me some supplies.  I also have good friends who are EMT, medics, etc and they typically have good leads on online sources, which I believe I shared at the beginning of this thread.  The list may have grown since.  I'd have to go back and check. 

changemyoil66

« Reply #48 on: October 04, 2017, 01:11:37 PM »
Order online, I use MedicalGearOutfitters (Skinny medic).  But the most important would probably a TQ because you can bleed out quickly.  A gauze or band-aids aren't life threatening.  To bad you aren't on Oahu, London was selling TQ's at his table this past gun show.

Drakiir84

« Reply #49 on: October 05, 2017, 09:01:58 AM »
Mil-Spec Dark Angel Medical Kits
Tampons
Pads
Duct Tape
Extra Tourniquets
"The rifle is a weapon. Let there be no mistake about that. It is a tool of power, and thus dependent completely upon the moral stature of its user. It is equally useful in securing meat for the table, destroying group enemies on the battlefield, and resisting tyranny. In fact, it is the only means of resisting tyranny, since a citizenry armed with rifles simply cannot be tyrannized."
-Jeff Cooper

mangosteenqueen

« Reply #50 on: October 05, 2017, 09:20:02 AM »
Tampons
Pads
Duct Tape
Extra Tourniquets

What are the tampons for? nosebleeds? There’s only enough gauze in there for that

changemyoil66

« Reply #51 on: October 05, 2017, 09:43:17 AM »
Tampons
Pads
Duct Tape
Extra Tourniquets

Theres a video online that packing gauze is far more effective because you get way more.

Drakiir84

« Reply #52 on: October 05, 2017, 10:51:48 AM »
What are the tampons for? nosebleeds? There’s only enough gauze in there for that

They're for periods, the greatest medical emergency of all.  ;)
"The rifle is a weapon. Let there be no mistake about that. It is a tool of power, and thus dependent completely upon the moral stature of its user. It is equally useful in securing meat for the table, destroying group enemies on the battlefield, and resisting tyranny. In fact, it is the only means of resisting tyranny, since a citizenry armed with rifles simply cannot be tyrannized."
-Jeff Cooper

drck1000

« Reply #53 on: October 05, 2017, 12:22:35 PM »
They're for periods, the greatest medical emergency of all.  ;)
Seems like you're well prepped for your monthly "emergencies".   ;D

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Drakiir84

« Reply #54 on: October 05, 2017, 12:37:06 PM »
Seems like you're well prepped for your monthly "emergencies".   ;D

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Gotta make sure the wife is taken care of.  Same reason why I don't have any food or water stockpiled... I can always acquire food and water, what you really want to stockpile is toilet paper, and I have a room full of toilet paper.  TP = post-apocalyptic gold.
-Jeff Cooper