Obama Era Gun Bans (Read 2156 times)

changemyoil66

Obama Era Gun Bans
« on: July 09, 2018, 09:05:08 AM »
Became part of the 2a community in 2016 (days b4 the election). 

But didn't Obama have control of the senate.  So were there any gun bans passed or attempted?  Seems silly now for the dems to try only to not get the required votes.

Wasn't the "gun free zone" passed during his term?  Anything else?

zippz

Re: Obama Era Gun Bans
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2018, 09:34:38 AM »
There havent been much gun control pushes in congress because the Democrats got penalized hard during the Clinton era for the assault weapons ban.  They talk about it a lot but are scared to do anything cause they know the NRA beat them in the elections.  More so now that the NRA was a deciding factor in Trumps election and control of congress

Democrats had full control of Congress early in Obamas term but didnt do anything.  They only talk big when they dont have control and can blame someone for not being able to do anything. 

Kinda like my Pomeranian.  Barks a lot and acts big when a big dog is outside the house.  When I bring a big dog inside the house he runs away crying.
Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

changemyoil66

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2018, 09:47:45 AM »
I'm just concerned because the "assault weapons ban 2017" was supported by majority of dems.  But they didn't have enough votes to push it through.  So if they did take over the senate again, I don't want the bill to pass (even though Trump would most likely veto). 

At least it had a grandfather clause in it.

zippz

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2018, 09:59:16 AM »
I'm just concerned because the "assault weapons ban 2017" was supported by majority of dems.  But they didn't have enough votes to push it through.  So if they did take over the senate again, I don't want the bill to pass (even though Trump would most likely veto). 

At least it had a grandfather clause in it.

to get another assault weapons ban through, dems would need about 75% control of the Senate to override Trumps veto and some dems would not support it.  They know SCOTUS would override it too.  They'll get brutally punished in the next election.

So they know it would be ineffective and will pay a great price for doing it.
Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

changemyoil66

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2018, 10:01:09 AM »
to get another assault weapons ban through, dems would need about 75% control of the Senate to override Trumps veto and some dems would not support it.  They know SCOTUS would override it too.  They'll get brutally punished in the next election.

So they know it would be ineffective and will pay a great price for doing it.

So it was all for show then.  I do remember seeing the vid of Trump sitting next to Feinstein.  Never seen her smile so big.

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2018, 10:11:02 AM »
So it was all for show then.  I do remember seeing the vid of Trump sitting next to Feinstein.  Never seen her smile so big.

The Dems have a dozen or so problems they perpetually campaign on, so they never want them to be actually solved. Education, Social Security, Medicaid, ACA Healthcare, abortion, gun control, welfare programs (food stamps, unemployment, WIC, school lunches, after school programs, rent/electric bill/other subsidies, etc.), immigration reform, election spending reform, and "tax the rich".  If they ever fix anything, they lose a plank in their "vote for me if you want it fixed" platform.

So, yes, the majority of these "fights" in Congress is for show to garner votes.
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

zippz

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2018, 10:21:04 AM »
The Dems have a dozen or so problems they perpetually campaign on, so they never want them to be actually solved.

Another example is Al Sharpton.  He talks about racism and blows everything up without trying to fix anything.  Creating unnecessary conflicts.  That's how he gets paid.  If racism ended, he'd be out of a job.

Same is true for Repubs too.  Socual security, smaller government, fixing the debt, etc still not getting fixed.

changemyoil66

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2018, 11:09:10 AM »
Thanks all for the info.  It's just time consuming trying to fight for my right that we are new to exercising.

zippz

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2018, 12:53:17 PM »
Thanks all for the info.  It's just time consuming trying to fight for my right that we are new to exercising.

You have to scrape off all the fluff and grandstanding on both sides.  Dont just go with what's popular, start with a neutral view.  Dig deeper into issues and see it from multiple viewpoints. Know what fundamentals and rules you'll live by win or lose.  Ask yourself "why" all the time.  Analyze it for yourself.  More information you know, the better decision you can make.

changemyoil66

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2018, 01:15:22 PM »
You have to scrape off all the fluff and grandstanding on both sides.  Dont just go with what's popular, start with a neutral view.  Dig deeper into issues and see it from multiple viewpoints. Know what fundamentals and rules you'll live by win or lose.  Ask yourself "why" all the time.  Analyze it for yourself.  More information you know, the better decision you can make.

That's my view on all new issues.  Come in with open mind, get "facts/stats", then make a decision for myself how I feel.