Blocked/limited magazines maintainence (Read 1426 times)

19pontiac79

Blocked/limited magazines maintainence
« on: May 31, 2020, 05:25:51 PM »
Anybody have any experience servicing nuetured mags like this? Do they come apart for cleaning etc ?  Thinking about picking up a few. :shaka:

2020-05-31_05-16-17 by Mahalo808, on Flickr
"if can. Can. If no can. No can" - Uncles 😆
"Why? The ring no block the hole." - Uncle's 😘
"You can throw a rock any distance and you will hit a double standard. = LIFE" 🤷🏽‍♂️

ren

Re: Blocked/limited magazines maintainence
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2020, 08:52:56 PM »
Yes I had those for a long missed 226. They were good mags. If I remember the plastic floorplate slid off
Deeds Not Words

aaronc5362

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2020, 08:57:25 PM »
Yeah they come apart. But i can personally tell you, ive shot thousands of rounds out of my mecgar p226. Never once cleaned them. I do keep my gun clean as fuck tho. Maybe that helps prolong the life of mags too?

If i were to estimate, 4 mags prob have bout 15-20 k rounds all together. Thats with 2x 226's, 1x p229.

No need clean range mags. Itll be good practice if they were to ever fail. Mec gar is definitely better than factory. In fact, sig used to be sent out with mec gars for a while. I have no idea bout now tho, my last sig was purchased back in 2010 or 2011.

drck1000

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2020, 07:20:32 AM »
+1 for Mecgar mags.  I've used them extensively for Sig and CZ and they are awesome, both performance and price.  I think Mecgar was included as OEM at various times for both lines. 

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2020, 11:59:39 AM »
+1 for Mecgar mags.  I've used them extensively for Sig and CZ and they are awesome, both performance and price.  I think Mecgar was included as OEM at various times for both lines.

I researched OEM mags when I bought my first .45 1911.  Macgar was running neck-and-neck with Wilson.

I opted for the Wilson Combat Elite Tactical Magazine ETM with Base Pad:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1070112681?pid=720215

One reason was the base pad was identical to the Sig mags my 1911 came with.  Another was availability and price -- I had a MidwayUSA.com birthday discount that helped.  Mostly it was from online reviews and comparisons.

Sig's steel mags are all relatively expensive, but they work perfectly.

If you get a top brand name, it's hard to go wrong.  Just do some research.  Some 1911s are more universally tolerant of various mag brands than others.
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

19pontiac79

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2020, 12:04:12 PM »
Thanks for the replies fam. I'll try a few for range mags  :shaka:
"if can. Can. If no can. No can" - Uncles 😆
"Why? The ring no block the hole." - Uncle's 😘
"You can throw a rock any distance and you will hit a double standard. = LIFE" 🤷🏽‍♂️

drck1000

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2020, 01:58:42 PM »
I researched OEM mags when I bought my first .45 1911.  Macgar was running neck-and-neck with Wilson.

I opted for the Wilson Combat Elite Tactical Magazine ETM with Base Pad:

SNIP
My 1911 experience is on the rookie level, but from that experience, 1911s are some of the most finickiest selective on magazines.  I have some crappy 1911 mags that some work and some not so much.  But for new mags, I've also gone with Wilson Combat.  10 rounds for my 9s and 8 and 10 rounders for my 45s.