Can I use a bayonet while hunting? (Read 698 times)

Begle1

Can I use a bayonet while hunting?
« on: March 17, 2024, 10:55:06 PM »
Let's say I was pig or deer hunting with an SKS in Hawaii.

Can I have a bayonet affixed, to dispatch a wounded animal?

randay

Re: Can I use a bayonet while hunting?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2024, 06:01:10 AM »
As of now, yes. bayonets are not illegal. legally you could use one, but practically you would not be in a situation where the benefits of having one would outweight the cons.

side note sb3196 lists "bayonet mounts" as assault weapon attachments. but not bayonets. so you could still use one but maybe just zip tie it to the barrel. :( :wacko:

oldfart

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2024, 08:42:09 AM »
As of now, yes. bayonets are not illegal. legally you could use one, but practically you would not be in a situation where the benefits of having one would outweight the cons.

side note sb3196 lists "bayonet mounts" as assault weapon attachments. but not bayonets. so you could still use one but maybe just zip tie it to the barrel. :( :wacko:
 :rofl: :shake:
Next year... senate bill 3196A, pertaining to restrictions on unlawful use of zip ties
What, Me Worry?

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2024, 11:44:53 AM »
 :rofl: :shake:
Next year... senate bill 3196A, pertaining to restrictions on unlawful use of zip ties

Followed by duct tape Permits to Acquire, which requires training by a verified instructor.
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

zippz

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2024, 02:56:19 PM »
Technically bayonets should fall under Deadly or Dangerous weapons and can't be transported...

"Other deadly or dangerous weapon" is limited to instruments whose sole design and purpose is to inflict bodily injury or death.  55 H. 531, 523 P.2d 299 (1974).

But I never heard of someone being arrested for it, and it's sold at the gun show.  Unless they consider it a firearm part.

One of the advancing bills this year would allow them to be carried openly if it passes.
Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

Begle1

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2024, 09:46:21 AM »
Technically bayonets should fall under Deadly or Dangerous weapons and can't be transported...

"Other deadly or dangerous weapon" is limited to instruments whose sole design and purpose is to inflict bodily injury or death.  55 H. 531, 523 P.2d 299 (1974).

But I never heard of someone being arrested for it, and it's sold at the gun show.  Unless they consider it a firearm part.

One of the advancing bills this year would allow them to be carried openly if it passes.

So under this interpretation of current law, I can legally take my SKS hunting but not have a bayonet attached to it?