Self defense videos and analysis (SDVA) (Read 6130 times)

zippz

Self defense videos and analysis (SDVA)
« on: August 09, 2017, 12:57:30 PM »
This will be my civilian self-defense videos thread with things I find on the internet.  Main goal is to think about scenarios and tactics you wouldn't have thought of before cause it's better to think about it before it happens rather than while it happens.  I like these ASP videos because they break down the videos and talk about what went right and what went wrong.

1.  Watch the full video first.
2.  Think about how you would have handled it and tactics that were used in the video.
3.  Watch the analysis
4.  Comment

1.  South Philly Street Fight With Baseball Bat & Chokehold
« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 01:11:22 PM by zippz »
Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

zippz

Re: SDVA: South Philly Street Fight With Baseball Bat & Chokehold
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2017, 01:00:25 PM »
South Philly Street Fight With Baseball Bat & Chokehold

2 guys get into an argument and one smaller one gets a baseball bat and attacks the big guy.

ASP analysis
https://activeselfprotection.com/big-dude-handles-bat-wielding-neighbor-like-a-boss/?doing_wp_cron=1502319607.4884710311889648437500
« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 02:06:49 PM by zippz »
Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

changemyoil66

Re: Self defense videos and analysis (SDVA)
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2017, 01:17:24 PM »
What I do as #1 is watch it once and as I watch it, what would I do?  It's the closest to "on the spot" reaction vs. watching first then having time to think.  I even stand up and mimic what my body would have done and how would I have drawn what ever tool I have.

macsak

Re: SDVA: South Philly Street Fight With Baseball Bat & Chokehold
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2017, 02:07:13 PM »
South Philly Street Fight With Baseball Bat & Chokehold

2 guys get into an argument and one smaller one gets a baseball bat and attacks the big guy.

ASP analysis
https://activeselfprotection.com/big-dude-handles-bat-wielding-neighbor-like-a-boss/?doing_wp_cron=1502319607.4884710311889648437500

my analysis:
it's easier to win the fight when you are twice as big as your opponent

drck1000

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2017, 03:08:43 PM »
I think the big guy did fine, though I don't think the small guy had much of a chance once his initial attack failed.  For the big guy, he did what he should, which is protect his vitals (head) and closed the distance gap and struck before the bat could really come down.  After that, the smaller guy didn't have much of a chance.  IMO, the big guy went really easy on the small guy, even with being slammed into the car. 

Gonna watch the video next.  Maybe if anything, the big guy initially lets the small guy go and then has to restrain him again when the small guy is still "fighting". 

After analysis: Couldn't really tell about the disarm part, but seemed like the big guy had the bat pretty well controlled after the initial wrap up, but still good point to get that weapon away.  The de-escalation and avoid situation part, yeah, but I took it from the perspective of once the situation had begun.  The "hands on" part is something that I try to convey to those who want a gun for self-protection and feel that's all that they will need.  At that range, even if the big guy had gotten shots off and hits on the smaller guy, unless the big guy hit a switch, the small guy would likely have been on top of him before being incapacitated. 
« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 03:19:07 PM by drck1000 »

zippz

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2017, 11:00:33 AM »
I'm surprised the small guy would face a big guy (former Marine) like that even armed with a baseball bat.  Something that seems obvious is to leave the area after getting into an argument, but a lot of people will stick around cause they'll shrug it off or don't want to run away.  Someone I knew got into an argument at a bar, went to his car and got a handgun, then came back and started shooting.  Probably happens a lot where people return with knives, clubs, group of friends, etc. 

Not sure if the big guy was caught unaware or wanted to take on the small guy, I would've run when I first saw the bat.  But like Drck said, once the bad guy gets in close you'll probably have to go hands on even if you have a CCW.  I'm pretty bad at hand to hand, so I was considering taking Krav Maga classes where simple moves suites me.  The big guy did a good disarm and the analysis makes a good point where sometimes it's better to step into the attack.  I trained to do the "L" or sidestep out of the attack path.

Choke holds are considered deadly force and you don't want to get caught in one since you don't know what the bad guy will do.  Crush your windpipe, hold it until you die, or wait for you to pass out and are defenseless.  I never really thought about eye gouging or getting eye gouged since we usually play by the rules when sparing. 

I wonder what would've happen if the big guy had a CCW and shot.  Seems like he escalated the argument and didn't make an attempt to leave the area.

zippz

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2017, 11:10:11 AM »
Another thing is no one came in to help or at least break up the fight.  Someone could be getting killed while everyone's watching.

Also treat the bad guy humanely and call out for help, to show that you're the victim.

RSN172

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2017, 05:26:11 PM »
A small fixed blade knife, especially carried tip up, will quickly get you out of any choke hold.  I don't like folders for SD and believe a small fixed blade (2-3 inch) should be part of your EDC.  Any SD knife should be kept hair popping sharp and not used for anything else.

Bota-CS1

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2017, 09:40:11 PM »
A good one.  In fact the whole series is good.  :thumbsup:

No one is coming, it’s up to us.

Legislation should never be about depriving law abiding citizens of something, but rather taking those things away from criminals.

drck1000

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2017, 10:12:54 AM »
Regarding why the big guy didn't leave.  There could be a number of reasons and that he didn't really feel threatened by the "little guy" from the initial encounter is what I think.  That said, sometimes when your adrenaline gets pumping like that, you are often left with a "what the hell just happened" sort of stupor where you're left trying to sort things out.  Not making an excuse or anything, just my thoughts on what can happen and has happened to me. 

Sometimes it just doesn't quite sink in what's going on and it takes some time to realize, especially if you've never been in a situation like that before.  Like the first time I was in an area where there was gun shots.  My friends and I were outside a nightclub in Seattle after it had closed.  Anyways, "pop pop pop" and we were still sort of laughing and looking around for a car that was back firing.  Many around us are hightailing it out of the area.  Luckily no one in my group was hurt, but we didn't even know there was a threat until well after the danger had ended. 

drck1000

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2017, 10:18:15 AM »
A small fixed blade knife, especially carried tip up, will quickly get you out of any choke hold.  I don't like folders for SD and believe a small fixed blade (2-3 inch) should be part of your EDC.  Any SD knife should be kept hair popping sharp and not used for anything else.
I can't find the video now.  I think it was a demonstration video anyways.  It's a video of a guy executing a nice armbar in what appears to be a confrontation in a parking garage.  The guy in the armbar retrieves a knife with his other arm and stabs the guy administering the armbar in the thigh and then torso. 

While I think BJJ is great, the last place I would want to be is on the ground with an attacker.  While I grew up doing Judo and have toyed around with BJJ and have somewhat of a comfort level grappling, but not in a "real" street fight situation.  Get space and get away.  It amazes me to see many street fight videos where one guy goes for choke or armbar.  He eventually get it, the other guy taps and he lets go.  Well, if I get in that situation I'm going to try to choke you unconscious or break your arm, since I'm pretty sure you're gonna be trying to do the same. 

macsak

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2017, 10:38:01 AM »
Regarding why the big guy didn't leave.  There could be a number of reasons and that he didn't really feel threatened by the "little guy" from the initial encounter is what I think.  That said, sometimes when your adrenaline gets pumping like that, you are often left with a "what the hell just happened" sort of stupor where you're left trying to sort things out.  Not making an excuse or anything, just my thoughts on what can happen and has happened to me. 

what is also odd is that he does not react when the guy comes out of the building with the bat
he barely even moves until the guy is right on him with the bat raised

drck1000

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2017, 11:07:10 AM »
what is also odd is that he does not react when the guy comes out of the building with the bat
he barely even moves until the guy is right on him with the bat raised
As I was watching, my reaction was "oh really?  little guy still want's some?"  Sort of disbelief.  Kind of like a small dog that is all bark and no bite, expecting him to stop short and still "make beeg".  Then "oh shit, he's not stopping. . . "  ;D

zippz

Re: Grenade incident (SDVA)
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2018, 07:24:09 AM »
Post deleted on grenade incident.  Moved to new thread.

https://2ahawaii.com/index.php?topic=31645.new#new
« Last Edit: June 10, 2018, 09:49:36 AM by zippz »

Rocky

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2018, 09:09:28 AM »
Regarding why the big guy didn't leave.  There could be a number of reasons"...
Seeing how the big guy was "operating " out of the passenger side of vehicle, perhaps he was a passenger waiting for the driver and was unable to leave the vehicle unattended.
Also noticed the vehicle appears to be blocking the declining coned sidewalk so maybe he/they were having auto trouble.  :-\
“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
                                                           Franklin D. Roosevelt