Hurricane season 2016 (Read 11260 times)

Rocky

Hurricane season 2016
« on: May 16, 2016, 02:18:34 PM »
Re-written from old post    https://2ahawaii.com/index.php?topic=19560.0

Collected and added comments of others from this post to save some time.

Just a reminder, we're entering Hurricane season.

Now's the time to rotate your gas supply's, drain, refill  generators (including Fuel stabilizer in both) and fire them up.
Might as well tune up your vehicle ( oil change fuel/injector treatment, check tires, brakes etc...

Rotate your go bag's clothes, food, water, med's, and OTC drugs
Drain, clean and refill your 55 gallon water barrels.
Check your supply of Charcoal, propane, bleach, TP, PT, long term food, water, med's, and OTC drugs.

STANG                                          
Ammo
Batteries
Clean up outside your house.
Trim your trees
Put away or secure loose items outside
Water Bob
Solar powered radio/recharger
Old Fart
Jack daniels
Cigars

Q                                                    
Laundry detergent,  several packets of 78% calcium hypochlorate to make my own bleach solution
- beans and rice from the LDS supply
- bucket of MH dehydrated food
- 3 to 5 bottles propane
- 5-10 cases of water
- shower stuff / toiletries
- ingredients for homemade laundry soap (makes 10 liquid gallons)
- rebuild my emergency washing machine (5 gal bucket, plunger dowel, potato masher)
- 100 to 200 wax firestarters
- 5 or so bic lighters and some naptha gas to refill my zippos some hypochlorate, batteries, coleman propane and 50 cases of water to sell on craigslist for $100 each

New Guy                                     
HAM radio

WhyNow                                         
solar battery charger
kia_killer
I recommend a Reverse Osmosis filter system

Rocky   
   At home and at our BOL, we have Monolithic brand water filters.
Build a Berkey for about $20.00 plus containers.
I splurged for two new 5 gallon buckets w/lids (another $20.00) but you could mount these puppies on 55 gal bbls if you wanted
http://shop.monolithic.com/
(I still (2016) have a couple 55 gallon food grade barrels available. PM Rocky if interested)

replenish canned goods (veggies, spam, CB and CB Hash, Pink Salmon etc...) 150 rolls TP,  90 rolls PT, razors, toothpaste, soap, shampoo Q-tips (not to be confused with tips from Q) gallons of bleach, dish soap, laundry detergent, Clorox Clean Up, nitrile gloves, 15 gallons non-ethanol gas with stabilizer, big ole bottle of Makers Mark, carton of butts.
   (As yard and storage gets finger printed and organized at  this time, I'm adding stir /shake those old paint cans and get rid of the hardened stuff.)

My original "Be prepared"  link https://2ahawaii.com/index.php?topic=12053.msg115882#msg115882

passivekinetic
Here is a good page to keep track of storms.
http://www.accuweather.com/en/hurricane/east-pacific

Don't just survive, prosper.      :thumbsup:                           
Survival is just breaking even !    :grrr:
Semper Paratus !

Oh yeah, 808Huey sez no forget the fleshlights.  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
                                                           Franklin D. Roosevelt

oldfart

Re: Hurricane season 2016
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2016, 06:57:18 PM »
I just sold off my old mre's and got some new paks.
Get some now before it's too late.
What, Me Worry?

Rocky

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2016, 07:45:56 AM »
I just sold off my old mre's and got some new paks.
Get some now before it's too late.

They expire ?  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

:wave: OF
                                                           Franklin D. Roosevelt

oldfart

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2016, 08:07:34 AM »
They expire ?  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

:wave: OF
:wave: rocky

To my knowledge, no they don't expire.
They are like Mcdonalds hamburgers....forever!
 :rofl:
The perfect compliment to 30 year old scotch
What, Me Worry?

83rdrecon

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2016, 08:30:33 AM »
Good list.  Have to put a new kit together as mine is still in storage in la.  What's the worse the island has been hit by hurricane?

passivekinetic

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2016, 08:35:14 AM »
I check this from time to time.

FYI radar map for our neighborhood.

You can even get a good idea what is coming before they start talking about it on TV/radio.

You can bookmark it on your browser for quick access.

"The sheep fear sheepdogs, because they fail to see the wolves."
- Anonymous

Rocky

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2016, 10:38:11 AM »
I check this from time to time.

FYI radar map for our neighborhood.

You can even get a good idea what is coming before they start talking about it on TV/radio.

You can bookmark it on your browser for quick access.

Here's another.
http://www.prh.noaa.gov/cphc/?gtwo
                                                           Franklin D. Roosevelt

Rocky

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2016, 10:46:39 AM »
Good list.  Have to put a new kit together as mine is still in storage in la.  What's the worse the island has been hit by hurricane?

As for Oahu, so far it's pretty much "swing and a miss".  :sleeping:  :o  :shake:   ;D  :thumbsup:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Hawaii_hurricanes

November 1957: Hurricane Nina was a Category 1 hurricane that formed in November south of Hawaiʻi. Nina moved north and took a sharp turn to the west without actually striking the state. Nina's closest approach to land, which was relatively far off the coast, was only about 120 miles (190 km) southwest of Kauai. Nina caused about $100,000 damage in Kauai and dropped over 20 inches (510 mm) of rain in 14 hours. Nina set a record for the highest wind gust ever recorded in Honolulu: 82 miles per hour (132 km/h). Nina killed four people throughout the islands
    July 1986: Waves caused by Hurricane Estelle caused $2 million in damage when they destroyed five houses and damaged several others. Two people on Oʻahudrowned in rough surf.[17]
                                                           Franklin D. Roosevelt

83rdrecon

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2016, 11:23:04 AM »
As for Oahu, so far it's pretty much "swing and a miss".  :sleeping:  :o  :shake:   ;D  :thumbsup:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Hawaii_hurricanes

November 1957: Hurricane Nina was a Category 1 hurricane that formed in November south of Hawaiʻi. Nina moved north and took a sharp turn to the west without actually striking the state. Nina's closest approach to land, which was relatively far off the coast, was only about 120 miles (190 km) southwest of Kauai. Nina caused about $100,000 damage in Kauai and dropped over 20 inches (510 mm) of rain in 14 hours. Nina set a record for the highest wind gust ever recorded in Honolulu: 82 miles per hour (132 km/h). Nina killed four people throughout the islands
    July 1986: Waves caused by Hurricane Estelle caused $2 million in damage when they destroyed five houses and damaged several others. Two people on Oʻahudrowned in rough surf.[17]

Any recent power outages (long term) ?  In Louisiana the power outages can last weeks to months in extreme cases.

drck1000

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2016, 11:41:46 AM »
The only two that I remember are Iwa (1982) and Iniki (1992).  I was still in HS when Iniki closed school for the day.  I remember going up on the roof to secure the skylight of my parents house and taping up the glass, but thankfully nothing. 

I've actually been through more hurricanes when traveling for work (mainland Japan, Okinawa and Guam) than here.  Guam gets hit with some major storms with on in 2002 that had gusts reaching 173 mph.  Could have been higher because many of the weather stations failed during the storm.  Anyways, the people there take preparations seriously and almost routine. 

Inspector

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2016, 12:33:38 PM »
Any recent power outages (long term) ?  In Louisiana the power outages can last weeks to months in extreme cases.
Not sure what you consider long term? Three days? A week? A month?

I was living in Kalaeloa in 2012 when a freak wind storm hit. It knocked down power poles and did a fair amount of damage all over the island. We were without power for 4 days. In some areas it took HECO a week to restore power. Is that the sort of info you were looking for?
SCIENCE THAT CAN’T BE QUESTIONED IS PROPAGANDA!!!

Surf

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2016, 01:09:43 PM »
Anyone who works closely with Civil Defense and disaster preparedness here in Hawaii will understand that the telephone pole ratings are not even at a Cat 1 hurricane.  We also don't even come close, not even a fraction, of having enough replacement poles on island.  Hawaii has been extremely lucky the past few seasons with far too many near misses of major hurricanes.  We cannot stay lucky, so stay prepared. 

drck1000

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2016, 01:23:58 PM »
Didn't Puna (and other areas) of the Big Island go without power for something like a week and more in a wind storm in Feb 2015?  I thought I recall something about that. 

There are definitely some areas that are more susceptible than others.  I live on the same block as HECO and we're usually back up pretty quickly. 

oldfart

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2016, 01:57:18 PM »
Didn't Puna (and other areas) of the Big Island go without power for something like a week and more in a wind storm in Feb 2015?  I thought I recall something about that. 

There are definitely some areas that are more susceptible than others.  I live on the same block as HECO and we're usually back up pretty quickly.
Yeah I couldn't remember when.
They were out for a long time.
What, Me Worry?

83rdrecon

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2016, 03:25:12 PM »
Mahalo!  Yes I consider more than 24hrs long term. Aka generator time! 

London808

« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2016, 07:30:57 PM »
Mahalo!  Yes I consider more than 24hrs long term. Aka generator time!

I wont run a generator till my freezer needs it, Imagine starting a generator and having 1/2 the street asking to charge their ipads/phones.
"Mr. Roberts is a bit of a fanatic, he has previously sued HPD about gun registration issues." : Major Richard Robinson 2016

London808

« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2016, 07:32:52 PM »
Every strom from 2015 on one image 
"Mr. Roberts is a bit of a fanatic, he has previously sued HPD about gun registration issues." : Major Richard Robinson 2016

whynow?

« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2016, 08:46:39 PM »
Tonight's news said 2016 might be a mild hurricane season due to La Nina and cooler waters.  But my main prep for 2016 is to change the rest of my windows to low-e double glass with the 8 ml. security film.
Waiting for the window company to get the windows in.   I always fill my vehicles tanks when get to half full. 
The weather in HI is unpredictable so get prepared especially when no threats coming to avoid the crowds and maybe higher costs.

London808

« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2016, 09:48:57 PM »
Tonight's news said 2016 might be a mild hurricane season due to La Nina and cooler waters.  But my main prep for 2016 is to change the rest of my windows to low-e double glass with the 8 ml. security film.
Waiting for the window company to get the windows in.   I always fill my vehicles tanks when get to half full. 
The weather in HI is unpredictable so get prepared especially when no threats coming to avoid the crowds and maybe higher costs.

I watch the weather every morning, you know how often they get it wrong ?

whynow?

« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2016, 07:57:28 AM »
I watch the weather every morning, you know how often they get it wrong ?
Yeah I know what you're saying.   I take the partly sunny/partly cloudy forecasts with a grain of salt.   Only sure thing is go outside and look.