thumler tumbler (Read 9018 times)

kekoa

thumler tumbler
« on: December 02, 2015, 05:29:43 PM »
I am looking into buying one of these and not to sure about them. Anybody got one or know much about the Thumler Tumbler? Particularly I am looking at the Mode T and the Model A-R2. By the way if any of you are interested Cablela's has them pretty cheap right now along with free shipping. Just use coupon code 5JOLLY.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/model-t-rotary-rock-tumbler/716810.uts
http://www.cabelas.com/product/model-t-rotary-rock-tumbler/716810.uts

Heavies

Re: thumler tumbler
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2015, 05:37:17 PM »
I have one with the stainless media.  It works great, and gets the brass nice and clean.  If you punch out the primers it gets all that primer pocket clean as well.  It is more humbug to get them out of the water and then dry them off, however if you like carbon free brass it's the way to go. 

I don't think it effects accuracy in any way.  It just get the brass super clean. 

kekoa

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2015, 05:54:26 PM »
I have one with the stainless media.  It works great, and gets the brass nice and clean.  If you punch out the primers it gets all that primer pocket clean as well.  It is more humbug to get them out of the water and then dry them off, however if you like carbon free brass it's the way to go. 

I don't think it effects accuracy in any way.  It just get the brass super clean.

Kinda what I thought too. I have a vibratory tumbler and it seems to work fine. I guess nice shiny brass is cool and satisfying too. Hmmmm what to do...

Heavies

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2015, 06:03:06 PM »
I can see a use for if you want to reload to the nth degree of consistent brass prep (ie brass has zero carbon, as opposed to unknown thickness of carbon build up) for ultra benchrest or competition reloading etc.  OR  you just want nice clean like new brass.  Other than that dunno.  I've swung more to the load it and shoot it mentality lately, as I have run short on free time lately.  When I load for precision I use the wet media, along with annealing and such,  other than that just the corncob.

ren

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2015, 06:06:53 PM »
Those models are small. I have the bigger Thumler Model B. It gets brass clean but the Thumler design seems a bit crude in my opinion.
The Frankford Arsenal Rotary Tumbler (FART) seems better and has a timer. You can get it shipped free from Amazon for $144.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B017VDSP28/?tag=2ahawaii-20

Tempted to sell my Thumler and get the FART.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 07:04:52 PM by ren »
Deeds Not Words

Rocky

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2015, 08:30:15 PM »
I also have the model B and use stainless media.
Oooooooooooooh !
Bright and shiny !~   :love:
But like  Kekoa sez, "It is more humbug to get them (Stainless Steel pins) out of the water"
I use a colander then dry them on a rack in the dryer.
“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
                                                           Franklin D. Roosevelt

K30l4

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2015, 10:27:11 PM »
Those models are small. I have the bigger Thumler Model B. It gets brass clean but the Thumler design seems a bit crude in my opinion.
The Frankford Arsenal Rotary Tumbler (FART) seems better and has a timer. You can get it shipped free from Amazon for $144.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B017VDSP28/?tag=2ahawaii-20

Tempted to sell my Thumler and get the FART.
I followed the link to cabela's. That unit does look pretty small.  I have to agree with ren. Maybe spend a little more for the larger unit.

I would look into these units but I have a fine working tumbler that vibrates. It works pretty good but does not get the brass as shiny as the wet tumblers with the stainless steel media.

MuffinMan

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2015, 08:05:55 PM »
I have one and it works great. (bought from Cabelas with free shipping)
Faster then dry tumbling too.

I use a dedicated depriming die on a separate tool head on my Dillon to deprime the brass first.
The best place to get the stainless media is eBay (free shipping).

Removing the brass from the tumbler under water makes it easier to get all the pins out.  Simple green and lemi-shine = sparkling brass.

jmho

shibby95

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2015, 12:06:40 AM »
I also have the Thumbler tumbler... it works great and way better than the vibratory models..... reason is if use the vibratory tumbler, you need to do it in an open area and not enclosed area. I was using a vib tumbler and one day I went to my doctors physical and did a blood test. The results were I had high uric acid levels in the blood results, I've never had gout problems before and the doctor didn't know why either. Well the dust particle from pouring the corn or walnut media contains the crud and lead from tumbling from the brass. In the beginning I wasn't using a lead particle mask to filter the air, so I attribute the high uric acid to the lead particles and yes, lead will have that affect. So, the safest way is to wet tumble. Try looking at the Franklin wet tumbler, it seem to look good and it looks like it has a higher RPM.

nate

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2015, 09:10:45 PM »
Try tumbling with 1" scotch brite squares instead of ss pins.  Works pretty good and fast.

Heavies

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2015, 02:49:42 AM »
Try tumbling with 1" scotch brite squares instead of ss pins.  Works pretty good and fast.
interesting.   In a thumbler? With soap and water or dry?  Might try that out.

macsak

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2015, 05:33:40 AM »

i don't understand, how is it going to clean the primer pockets or the inside of the brass?

Heavies

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2015, 10:36:28 AM »
i don't understand, how is it going to clean the primer pockets or the inside of the brass?
I imagine it doesn't,  but maybe just a quick outside clean?  Quicker than a corncob tumble?

macsak

« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2015, 12:27:46 PM »
I imagine it doesn't,  but maybe just a quick outside clean?  Quicker than a corncob tumble?
i'd rather have the inside and primer pockets cleaned than the outside

Heavies

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2015, 12:44:39 PM »
i'd rather have the inside and primer pockets cleaned than the outside
Even on pistol brass?  When I clean pistol brass I don't go through all trouble of wet tumbling.  My target rifles I don't mind.  Pistol, I don't shoot that well to notice anyway.  Lol

nate

« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2015, 10:24:03 PM »
Scotch brute won't clean primer pockets or inside case but so far seems to work ok.  Especially when its late Friday night and you need ammo for Saturday.  Just water and dawn.  I noticed heavy build up in primer pockets falls off.  At first I was just tumbling cases but the scotch brite is much faster.  Pistol.

ren

« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2015, 10:21:24 AM »
I love the bling
Deeds Not Words

whynow?

« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2016, 08:50:28 PM »
For the experienced Thumler users, do you dry the pins after use or keep them wet in the drum?   I was air drying the pins and put them in a plastic container after.   I tumble about 2-3 weeks apart.

Heavies

« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2016, 09:14:56 PM »
For the experienced Thumler users, do you dry the pins after use or keep them wet in the drum?   I was air drying the pins and put them in a plastic container after.   I tumble about 2-3 weeks apart.

I believe you're supposed to dry them off, but I haven't been. .. Too Lazy...lol.  I just rinsed them out good and got rid of as much water as I could and it's been sitting for a while now... Maybe 6 to 8 months.  When I get home I'll crack it open and check it out.  I'll let you know if it's ok to do that.  hahah

Lihikai

« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2016, 09:37:45 PM »
I drain most of the water out and then put the lid back on.  No problems with the pins rusting.  I've been using my wet tumbler for about 2 years.