Spartan Race Hawaii (Read 26491 times)

jonjon

Spartan Race Hawaii
« on: August 19, 2013, 12:10:43 AM »
Anyone besides me do the Spartan Race this past weekend at Kuuloa Ranch?

FATMANWA

Re: Spartan Race Hawaii
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2013, 07:54:13 AM »
I did, time was 2hrs and 10min. Pretty lame but since I didn't train or have a big enough breakfast I guess it was ok.

jonjon

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2013, 09:32:26 AM »
I did, time was 2hrs and 10min. Pretty lame but since I didn't train or have a big enough breakfast I guess it was ok.

Hey congratulations - Nice to know a fellow 2a member participated  :shaka:
don't worry about your finish time, the main thing is that you finished the race. I think a lot of people went in expecting it was going to be a lot easier to do, myself included but holy crap was I surprised. I'm a little guy and some of those obstacles were not made with me in mind, i think most of the female participants were bigger than me but got to use the easier route :rofl: Next time I need to do more training and be more prepared for the obstacles, maybe we can start a 2aHawaii team for next year.

My finish time - 1 hour flat, completed all obstacles(no burpies for me)and placed 113 out 4798

not bad for minimal training but pretty good for someone 41 years old :geekdanc:

FATMANWA

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2013, 03:09:05 PM »
Damn that is good timing. I was not expecting so many hills, so gotta start training for that. This was def harder than the warrior dash, finished that in 44min and I walked alot of it.

Q

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2013, 03:12:27 PM »
« Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 02:53:33 AM by Q »

Hi state

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2013, 04:22:01 PM »
Participated in the traffic it caused trying to get out to Kahuku to ride dirtbike. Took almost an hour to get through the traffic didn't realize there were that many people doing the race

jonjon

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2013, 05:39:57 PM »
Participated in the traffic it caused trying to get out to Kahuku to ride dirtbike. Took almost an hour to get through the traffic didn't realize there were that many people doing the race

Yup - I saw the traffic when I was leaving kuuloa - no traffic when I was going to kuuloa from town at 7am but when I left at 11am, the traffic was bumper to bumper from kuuloa to the hygienic store  :shake:

new guy

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2013, 06:51:17 PM »
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 09:21:11 PM by new guy »
Your mindset is your primary weapon. - Jeff Cooper

michalebsdad

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2013, 07:18:12 PM »
Sounds mean.

How would one train for something like this?

Go out everyday and kick your own ass by doing all of the ridiculous things you can think of  :thumbsup:

No seriously..check out http://www.spartanrace.com/, it will give you an idea

FATMANWA

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2013, 09:08:47 PM »
 :
Go out everyday and kick your own ass by doing all of the ridiculous things you can think of  :thumbsup:

No seriously..check out http://www.spartanrace.com/, it will give you an idea

:thumbsup:

I was doing a cross fit like workout and running about two miles before, but then life got in the way the past few months. If you do the workouts in the email you will def get in shape for this race. They are a food all around work out.

jonjon

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2013, 09:17:58 PM »
Sounds mean.

How would one train for something like this?

1) Work on endurance - running/jogging regularly plus running hills or stairs
2) Build your upper body strength, you definitely have to pull/carry your weight - rope climbing, pull ups, dips and monkey bars
3) Core strength - crunches, sit ups and leg lifts.

Joining a gym would help but not really necessary.

I'm running up Koko Head crater tomorrow morning want to join me :shaka:

new guy

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2013, 10:39:30 PM »
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 09:20:56 PM by new guy »

jonjon

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2013, 12:03:47 PM »
Sign me up for next year; it'll give me motivation to continue working out

Tom'w morning morning run up Koko Kead crater = no bueno.

Let me know in advance, and I'll go one weekend.

Ideally, I'd like to go on a day when bruddah Noscade or 338kid or Teichi or ren is on the line at KHSC.

It would be nice to know that we could call in Fire Support just in case some Benjamin Davis copycat tries to get all nuts.

hahaha - would be nice to call in fire support but would be even better if we could legally carry our own  :thumbsup:

first time doing koko head this morning - took 20 mins to go up and 10 mins to come back down, going up really kicks your ass :crazy:

doing koko head on a regular basis would definitely help you if you want to do a spartan race, I'm doing it to prepare for Mt, Fuji next month  :shaka:

new guy

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2013, 06:56:05 PM »
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 09:20:31 PM by new guy »

jonjon

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2013, 07:46:47 PM »
Shoot, man... I'm just trying to get back into the fitness thang.

I doubt my out-of-shape ass could hang with a dude that does a one hour flat Spartan Run, 20 minute sprints up Koko Head Crater, and eats Fuji-san for breakfast!! 

:worship:

Hey New Guy best way to get back is to go all in, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger right? :thumbsup:  I just decided to do Fuji san last week and have one month to prepare, i'll probably try to do koko head 2-3 times a week in the mornings. Let me know :shaka:

jonjon

« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2013, 09:27:02 PM »
Shoot, man... I'm just trying to get back into the fitness thang.

I doubt my out-of-shape ass could hang with a dude that does a one hour flat Spartan Run, 20 minute sprints up Koko Head Crater, and eats Fuji-san for breakfast!! 
e the buil
:worship:

Hey New Guy - just saw your post about BMI, you are about the same height and weight as me  :shaka: I'm about 5'7" and 130lbs I also wrestled in high school about 20 something years ago at 105lbs :shake: you totally can do the Spartan Race, you have the built and also if you can go through wrestling practice the Spartan race would be a piece of cake  :shaka:

new guy

« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2013, 06:41:20 PM »
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 09:18:41 PM by new guy »

new guy

« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2013, 08:37:13 AM »
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 09:17:20 PM by new guy »

jonjon

« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2013, 11:13:20 AM »
Damn, I must be getting old... I messed up my right knee yesterday.

Not even sure how I did it, but the pain is located in the upper inside part of my knee, just behind the kneecap.

Slight redness and slight swelling.

Took some Tylenol and the pain decreased significantly, but my knee is still sore.

Pretty frickin bummed right now.  >:(

Will keep an eye on it, as I still want to attempt Koko Head, bruddah jonjon!

Hey New,

That sucks to hear, but the main thing is to not get discouraged. Take it easy on the knee but keep working the upper body and definitely put Koko Head on the back burner, that mofo is a bitch on the knees  :shake:
I've already did Koko Head 3 times since last tuesday and have taken a minute off each time so 18 minutes from the parking lot to the very top and 9 minutes to come back down.
Let me know when you are ready and your knee is healed up and I will join you on your first attempt  :shaka:

ImKu

« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2013, 12:59:09 PM »
I've already did Koko Head 3 times since last tuesday and have taken a minute off each time so 18 minutes from the parking lot to the very top and 9 minutes to come back down.
Let me know when you are ready and your knee is healed up and I will join you on your first attempt  :shaka:

:o  :worship: That is crazy man. I tried hanging in there with my friends, who are in way better shape than me and they kill it in 15 min to the top.  I'm close to double that...  My knees/calves definately feel it the next day.  I will probably try the Spartan race next round too.  It was kinda pricy to enter from what I heard though.
The mind acts like an enemy for those who do not control it.
- Bhagavad Gita