Reduced Load Data Recommendation From Hodgon's (Read 4345 times)

Inspector

Reduced Load Data Recommendation From Hodgon's
« on: June 28, 2014, 07:05:21 PM »
I was researching some load data on a cartridge/bullet/powder combination that is hard to find good reliable load data for and I came across a document on the Hodgon's website with reduced load recommendations using H4895 powder. Here is the link:

http://www.hodgdon.com/PDF/H4895%20Reduced%20Rifle%20Loads.pdf

I am going to try this Sunday with my Mosin Nagant loads. Let me know if this is helpful to anyone?
SCIENCE THAT CAN’T BE QUESTIONED IS PROPAGANDA!!!

Heavies

Re: Reduced Load Data Recommendation From Hodgon's
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2014, 07:47:51 PM »
Great way to save powder and not beat up a nice old rifle.  Thanks for the info!

Inspector

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2014, 08:12:13 PM »
Great way to save powder and not beat up a nice old rifle.  Thanks for the info!
If I get any type of decent accuracy with these reduced loads I may post my results.

Heavies

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2014, 11:34:05 PM »
If I get any type of decent accuracy with these reduced loads I may post my results.

Might be a little finicky with the powder placement in the case, so i wouldn't expect bugholes.  But for low recoil and general plinking it should be great fun.

Inspector

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2014, 12:33:18 PM »
The results I am seeing from the few rounds I reloaded with this reduced load are encouraging. I will be doing further load workup.

Barrett808

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2014, 02:35:07 PM »
Hey Inspector,
Saw your old post, really enjoy shooting mild / reduced loads in vintage bolt, lever action & singleshot rifles.
Do you shoot cast bullets?
Best powders I've found for reduced rifle loads are red dot, blue dot, unique, trailboss & tite group. Don't know what your goals or uses are? I'm into making mild accurate loads for young shooters, recoil sensitive, or for farm eradication as well as putting less wear on our vintage guns.
Mild & subsonic are so fun to shoot. Been doing this for over 25 yrs.
Hope to meet you Bro.

macsak

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2014, 02:44:15 PM »
Hey Inspector,
Saw your old post, really enjoy shooting mild / reduced loads in vintage bolt, lever action & singleshot rifles.
Best powders I've found for reduced rifle loads are red dot, blue dot, unique, trailboss & tite group. Don't know what your goals or uses are? I'm into making mild accurate loads for young shooters, recoil sensitive, or for farm eradication as well as putting less wear on our vintage guns.
Hope to meet you Bro.

you've probably already met or at least seen inspector
he's with the black powder guys on the right side of the rifle range frequently

Barrett808

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2014, 03:00:43 PM »
Thanks Macsak,
Know Chris and the gang well.
Don't give out specific unpublished load data, because of unknown usage, variables and handloaders experience. Just wanted to share powders info due to powder drought. Lee reloading  book got more specific information on reduced loads. Thanks and be safe.

Inspector

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2014, 04:10:31 PM »
Hey Inspector,
Hope to meet you Bro.
Aloha Barrett,

With the powder shortage I have not been able to find Red Dot, Blue Dot, etc. I do have a small amount of Titegroup left and I have some Trail Boss. Both of these are very hard to find currently. But H4895 has been showing up locally lately so I thought I would encourage others using a powder that can be found here and there. When the powder shortage becomes a thing of the past I will be experimenting with some pistol and shotgun powders. My basic goals for reduced loads are accuracy and low recoil due to my sore shoulder. I try and shoot lead heads as much as possible. And with some rifles I found I have to load with reduced loads in order to shoot lead. I found sometimes pushing lead near or at the same speeds as jacketed in rifles ends up in keyholing. I am currently shooting jacketed in my swede acne I have not had good luck shooting lead in it. But I have not tried reduced loads with lead in the Swede. It's just another project I have on my list. LOL

I will be back shooting at the rifle range this Sunday and will be shooting pistol on the holiday coming up. Hope to meet see you around.

Inspector Dave

Inspector

Re: Reduced Load Data Recommendation From Hodgon'
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2014, 04:20:29 PM »
Thanks Macsak,
Know Chris and the gang well.
Don't give out specific unpublished load data, because of unknown usage, variables and handloaders experience. Just wanted to share powders info due to powder drought. Lee reloading  book got more specific information on reduced loads. Thanks and be safe.
My biggest problem is I am a closet powder junkie. I'll buy a pound just to play around with it. Sometimes they will sit on the shelf for years before I get around to trying it. I have a hard time saying no to a powder I don't have. Especially if I can find it at a good price.

I appreciate that you don't share load data on the Internet. I don't usually share data either unless it is something like a bunny fart load. I might share something like that. Otherwise I don't think it is a good idea. There is so much good data out there that can be found so easily there is no need to risk someone blowing up their gun with one of your pet loads that works great in your gun.

oldfart

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2014, 05:06:00 PM »
Dammit
Now you got me thinking about running reduced in my '06.
I had a sale offer from xtreme for plated 150 gr. 30 cal bullets.
The price was right because I have no intention of casting for this rifle.
What, Me Worry?

Barrett808

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2014, 05:51:17 PM »
Love to shoot reduce loads now since rifle range is limited to 100 yards.
Get some projos and we can have a reduce load shoot.
Affordable accurate and really fun. Please PM me the link and can discuss topic offline.
Anybody knows Gary Miyakawa, hope his family is well. Guy is the reduce load guru and awesome shooter.
Mahalo!
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 06:53:46 PM by Barrett808 »