Lee powder measures (Read 1953 times)

mrgaf

Lee powder measures
« on: July 28, 2018, 01:45:49 PM »
Since I no longer reload large quantities on handgun ammo anymore and I load all my rifle on a single stage press, I’ve decided to sell my Dillion RL 550B (more on that in another thread). In its place I’m considering two options. One will be to load pistol on my single stage press ( I have a lot of Hornady lock n load’s for the dies and the press is already set up for that system) and get a powder measure or get a Lee value turret press with a Lee powder disk powder measure. Leaning towards the Pro auto disk measure but am considering the “original” disk measure. Will be loading small quantities of 357, 9mm and 45 auto. What would you guys recommend?  :shaka: :thumbsup:
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.  Thomas Paine.

No man can get rich in politics unless he is a crook.  It cannot be done. Harry Truman

Only good liberal is one taking a dirt nap.

Inspector

Re: Lee powder measures
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2018, 01:51:21 PM »
Since I no longer reload large quantities on handgun ammo anymore and I load all my rifle on a single stage press, I’ve decided to sell my Dillion RL 550B (more on that in another thread). In its place I’m considering two options. One will be to load pistol on my single stage press ( I have a lot of Hornady lock n load’s for the dies and the press is already set up for that system) and get a powder measure or get a Lee value turret press with a Lee powder disk powder measure. Leaning towards the Pro auto disk measure but am considering the “original” disk measure. Will be loading small quantities of 357, 9mm and 45 auto. What would you guys recommend?  :shaka: :thumbsup:
I use the Lee Turret Press with the original disk measure using the powder thru die. Gives me great consistent ammo. I use it for pistol only. This setup and  measure are not perfect but work well for me.
SCIENCE THAT CAN’T BE QUESTIONED IS PROPAGANDA!!!

mrgaf

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2018, 02:03:48 PM »
I use the Lee Turret Press with the original disk measure using the powder thru die. Gives me great consistent ammo. I use it for pistol only. This setup and  measure are not perfect but work well for me.

Thanks for the reply! Will the original measure provide enough powder for 357?
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.  Thomas Paine.

No man can get rich in politics unless he is a crook.  It cannot be done. Harry Truman

Only good liberal is one taking a dirt nap.

ren

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2018, 02:45:01 PM »
I had the original Auto Disk. Worked OK but the design where metal screws go into plastic was not a good one. The plastic eventually cracked and the hopper was loose. I got a Pro to replace it and has a better design with thumbscrews. The Pro has a teflon coating on the hopper surface.
You can see the design differences: https://leeprecision.com/powder-handling/automatic-powder-measures/

It is also easier to remove the hopper from the Pro than it is with the 1st gen one. You can't shut off powder flow with the older one.
Deeds Not Words

Inspector

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2018, 02:48:05 PM »
Thanks for the reply! Will the original measure provide enough powder for 357?
You can use up to two disks in the measure. So to answer your question yes .357 is no problem.
SCIENCE THAT CAN’T BE QUESTIONED IS PROPAGANDA!!!