36yard zero (Read 4631 times)

Mdotweber

36yard zero
« on: April 14, 2019, 10:09:59 AM »
Kind of a revival of an old thread,searched the forum and found a similar one back in 2013.

If you go to his website you can download his target for free. Would KHSC allow a target set up at 25yards to zero? I don't want to pay for a membership/range/neutered ammo fee at our main local indoor range.

https://www.vigilanceelite.com/blogs/vigilance-elite-blogs/36-yard-zero
"Dont forget, incoming fire has the right of way"-Clint Smith?

oldfart

Re: 36yard zero
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2019, 10:51:26 AM »
The Koko Head Rules
Know and obey all range commands
Unload, open the action, remove the magazine and bench all firearms during a cease fire
Do NOT handle any firearms or stand at the firing line where firearms are present while others are down range during a cease fire
Load no more than 5 rounds in the magazine
No rapid or indiscriminate firing
Shoot only at authorized targets. No plinking of objects on backstop berm or on the ground. Human silhouette targets are not allowed
Wear eye and ear protection
Children age 17 and below must be accompanied by an adult
Children 9-12 years may fire .22 long rifle caliber only, with an adult standing next to and assisting the child
Children must wear eye and ear protection
Children 8 years and younger are prohibited from using firearms
No alcohol or illegal drugs allowed
No gambling
 ==========================
 There are no 25 yard positions on most of the rifle range.
 There are some at the far right side but it might be hard to find the pukas.
What, Me Worry?

Heavies

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2019, 08:47:53 PM »
Using a 50 yard zero on my reddot, tested at know actual distance out to 300.  Works great for me.  at 300 ~ top of the black equaled center hits which is only about 10" low.  good enough for me.

Direjackalope

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2019, 09:45:09 PM »
I spent a lot of time trying to figure out how to get the 300m zero from the armies method of zeroing on 25m while at KHSC.  If you get a bullet drop calculator for your phone (I use Balistic AE) or use one of the online ones you can set your desired zero range and it will give you a chart of how high or low from point of aim your round will hit at various distances.  Then you can zero high or low at the 50 or 100 yard lines as needed to achieve the desired zero range. 

zippz

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2019, 05:36:25 PM »
I spent a lot of time trying to figure out how to get the 300m zero from the armies method of zeroing on 25m while at KHSC.  If you get a bullet drop calculator for your phone (I use Balistic AE) or use one of the online ones you can set your desired zero range and it will give you a chart of how high or low from point of aim your round will hit at various distances.  Then you can zero high or low at the 50 or 100 yard lines as needed to achieve the desired zero range.

Very important to get the correct height over bore, distance between your sights and middle of the barrel.  For the calculation.   Makes a big difference when zeroing at reduced ranges.
Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

lpck45

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2021, 06:59:08 AM »
Very important to get the correct height over bore, distance between your sights and middle of the barrel.  For the calculation.   Makes a big difference when zeroing at reduced ranges.

height over bore is not a huge deal when dealing with intermittent ranges. I do precision long range shooting. @ 1000y a ~2" difference in HOB is 0.4 mils (14") at 1000 yards!

with M855 ~2.4" iron sites compared to ~3.26" High mount, difference is 0.4" at 300yds with a 33m/36yd zero

Just saying, if you are concentrating at minute of man, HOB is negligible. Ding is a Ding

« Last Edit: July 10, 2021, 07:04:46 AM by lpck45 »

aletheuo137

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2021, 10:22:11 AM »
You could try this concept in reverse. I started experimenting with it for longer range calculating my drop. Rifle zero at 100 yards and knowing my bullet drop.

Scope Tracking: Tall Target Test | Applied Ballistics with Bryan Litz

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

RSN172

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2021, 01:20:07 PM »
Y'all trainin' to be snipers?   

Rocky

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2021, 11:29:26 AM »
   IF I had an AR platform in .223 / 5.56, I would go with the M16 25 meter Zero.

"the ballistic trajectory for a typical 223/5.56 NATO round hits the same point of aim at 25 meters and 300 meters with a military spec round.

POA @ 25 yds
4"-5" high at 100 yds
POA @ 300 yds
12" low @ 400 yds and
36" low @ 500 yards"

Heard ACTUAL distance from MUZZLE to TARGET  (25 meters/ 27.34 yds) is critical when zeroing.

Besides, I don't put much salt in a guy teaching that stands forward of a discharging muzzle.  (2:26- 2:36) :crazy:

« Last Edit: July 11, 2021, 11:48:25 AM by Rocky »
“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
                                                           Franklin D. Roosevelt

6716J

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2021, 06:06:57 PM »
Great place to figure out your ballistics or back calculate your zero range to what you want. You can crank in custom or factory loads and any zero range you want to figure out where your bullet will end up and when.

Side note, when trying to calculate for your AR, remember your bullet is .224 for some manufacturers. I fought this for days before I went "DUH". After that, every factory load I could think of popped up.

http://lrbc.vortexoptics.com/#!/
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy.