How to Build an IFAK and save money (Read 1224 times)

GlockNewb

How to Build an IFAK and save money
« on: November 14, 2022, 01:22:43 PM »

"Fast is slow, slow is smooth, smooth is fast."

drck1000

Re: How to Build an IFAK and save money
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2022, 01:38:13 PM »
I'll watch the video later, but one way to save money is stock your kit with expired components.  ;D

I'm mostly kidding, but I recently gave away a bunch of supplies that expired. 

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2022, 01:55:45 PM »
I'll watch the video later, but one way to save money is stock your kit with expired components.  ;D

I'm mostly kidding, but I recently gave away a bunch of supplies that expired.

I put together a nicely stocked home medical kit a few years ago.  Last year I noticed only a few of the items are still pre-expiration.

I've put off refreshing, because the majority of the items are similar to things I stock separately: antibiotic ointments, dressings, bandages, wipes, etc.

The "package deal" I started with was on sale, so affordable.  I opted to use a cheaper Home Depot canvas tool bag versus the expensive 1,000-pocket cases the website sold.

A lot of the stuff i do use regularly, like the scissors, tweezers, and so on. 

It's good to have everything you might need in one portable bag that's well organized.  I use ziplock bags to group everything by category so I can at least find the gauze and tape without digging through everything else.
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

drck1000

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2022, 02:04:51 PM »
I put together a nicely stocked home medical kit a few years ago.  Last year I noticed only a few of the items are still pre-expiration.

I've put off refreshing, because the majority of the items are similar to things I stock separately: antibiotic ointments, dressings, bandages, wipes, etc.

The "package deal" I started with was on sale, so affordable.  I opted to use a cheaper Home Depot canvas tool bag versus the expensive 1,000-pocket cases the website sold.

A lot of the stuff i do use regularly, like the scissors, tweezers, and so on. 

It's good to have everything you might need in one portable bag that's well organized.  I use ziplock bags to group everything by category so I can at least find the gauze and tape without digging through everything else.
Expired antibiotic?  I've used stuff way beyond expiration dates.  Sometimes not on purpose though.  ;D

I have multiple kits.  Car, range bag, shooting belt, etc.  Put them together at different times, so the dates are all over the place.  I recently replaced/refreshed and not that many stuff where out of date.  Gave some to a medic friend for training, came some to another friend who "needed" it, etc. 

I have sports tape in many places.  One of the best items for shooters.  I've even had a friend use when his shoe bottom fell apart.  :rofl:

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2022, 02:11:27 PM »
Expired antibiotic?  I've used stuff way beyond expiration dates.  Sometimes not on purpose though.  ;D

I have multiple kits.  Car, range bag, shooting belt, etc.  Put them together at different times, so the dates are all over the place.  I recently replaced/refreshed and not that many stuff where out of date.  Gave some to a medic friend for training, came some to another friend who "needed" it, etc. 

I have sports tape in many places.  One of the best items for shooters.  I've even had a friend use when his shoe bottom fell apart.  :rofl:

One useful item that has a short-ish shelf life is CA glue.  Superglue can bond skin together quickly (as most of us know!) and can serve as stitches/staples until proper treatment is available.

Maybe Amazon's subscription discount plan?  Set up a regular purchase of certain items to make sure you always have "fresh"?

I might do that.  Trying to use a brick of dried-out CA glue when you just need a few drops really sucks.

Edited:  AC glue <==> CA glue.  At least all the letters were there!   :geekdanc: :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: November 14, 2022, 03:23:43 PM by Flapp_Jackson »
-- Melvin Udall

macsak

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2022, 02:18:47 PM »
CA?
cyano acrylate?

One useful item that has a short-ish shelf life is AC glue.  Superglue can bond skin together quickly (as most of us know!) and can serve as stitches/staples until proper treatment is available.

Maybe Amazon's subscription discount plan?  Set up a regular purchase of certain items to make sure you always have "fresh"?

I might do that.  Trying to use a brick of dried-out AC glue when you just need a few drops really sucks.

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2022, 02:19:13 PM »
-- Melvin Udall

macsak

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2022, 02:19:48 PM »
"a friend"

Rocky

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2022, 02:31:48 PM »
"a friend" "who "needed" it" is more relevant.  :shake:
“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
                                                           Franklin D. Roosevelt

drck1000

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2022, 02:32:14 PM »
One useful item that has a short-ish shelf life is AC glue.  Superglue can bond skin together quickly (as most of us know!) and can serve as stitches/staples until proper treatment is available.

I might do that.  Trying to use a brick of dried-out AC glue when you just need a few drops really sucks.
Yeah, done the super glue "stitches" a few times.  Particularly when I doing kickboxing.  Many an eyebrow "fixed" that way.  Superglue gel seems to last longer. 

Rocky

Franklin D. Roosevelt

Rocky

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2022, 03:01:19 PM »
This is a good start and FREE when you take a "Stop the Bleed Class.

Franklin D. Roosevelt