How are the LGS holding up with the range closed? (Read 2249 times)

Kalikikopa

How are the LGS holding up with the range closed?
« on: December 28, 2022, 09:38:25 PM »
Any owners or friends of owners know how it is for the local gun stores since the closing of the range? I'm afraid our local government might like some stores to close to lower the availability of firearms and supplies.

zippz

Re: How are the LGS holding up with the range closed?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2022, 10:28:06 PM »
I've talked to several gun store owners.  They are all hurting badly cause they're not selling ammo and guns.   CCW is supposed to help them but the slow issuance of.permits are hurting them too.
Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

RSN172

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2022, 07:43:16 AM »
Now would be a good time to stockpile ammo if it goes on sale. You should have at a bare minimum,  5000 rounds of 22 rimfire and 1500 rounds of any centerfire you own.

zippz

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2022, 07:59:53 AM »
Now would be a good time to buy some ammo as prices are pretty good now at a low of 35 cents a 9mm round.  There's a chance it could go a bit lower still, maybe 30 cents a round, if the recession hits next year.  But I don't think it'll go lower since inflation raised the floor.

Also I think the stores are hurting for several reasons besides the range being closed.  People are stocked back up on ammo.  No more stimulus money.  Interest rates and inflation make everything cost more so less discretionary funds.  More new gun stores popped up in the last few years when business was booming, so less to go around now.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2022, 11:34:38 AM by zippz »
Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

drck1000

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2022, 09:38:16 AM »
Spoke to a few and friends with a couple. The range closure is hitting some of them especially hard. Ammo sales from people shooting and from venue to teach stuff like basic pistol and now CCW.

Good point on stocking up on ammo. I was chatting guys at one LGS recently and good sign to see a variety of ammo on the shelves and for ok prices.

RSN172

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2022, 10:36:03 AM »
I better replenish my stash of 223/5.56 ammo if prices are good in Hilo. I sold 1000 rounds at Covid prices about a year ago. Buy low, sell high. It is the American way.  In any case, I need to get more 12 ga buckshot.  I only have 15 rounds of that, but it is not my primary SD long gun.

changemyoil66

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2022, 12:45:21 PM »
For us, we have not bought anything since the range closure.  The P365XL was paid for prior to the closure, but arrived during.  So I don't count this.

And more so for ammo, no more open shoots or skill builders, so no need restock as rounds used.

MrJones

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2022, 12:49:03 PM »
Last time I was in local gun shop near downtown I mentioned they should get together and petition the city to reopen the range, after all its their livelihood too. They didn’t seemed concerned. Weird.

Jones

zippz

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2022, 02:05:03 PM »
Last time I was in local gun shop near downtown I mentioned they should get together and petition the city to reopen the range, after all its their livelihood too. They didn’t seemed concerned. Weird.

Jones

80% of them don't do any type of 2A activism either.  I keep all the stores informed about whats going on and how to be involved.   never figured it out why they don't..  Some claim HPD will get revenge on them.  Some are just in it as a business and don't really care about 2A.  I think most just don't want to be bothered with stuff even if it affects their business.

ren

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2022, 03:27:38 PM »

Jones

What shop was this?
Deeds Not Words

spicynoodle_1

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2022, 03:48:27 PM »
Last couple times I was in SEC, it was pretty busy.  I hope they're doing good.  Give most my business to them because they are awesome to their customers and have super competitive  prices on their firearms.  Not saying that the other LGSs aren't great, but these dudes are hard to beat...

MrJones

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2022, 03:58:26 PM »
^
Jones

Kalikikopa

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2022, 07:19:13 PM »

Jones

I can imagine the regulations they are required to follow already bog them down. LGS's being vocal could just add more regulations to them, A uneducated opinion.

ren

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2022, 08:33:57 PM »
Young Guns and a few other shops actively participate in the fight for our 2a rights. I keep that in mind when I go shopping.
Deeds Not Words

hvybarrels

« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2022, 10:19:45 PM »
How is SEC set for reloading supplies these days?
“Wars happen when the government tells you who the enemy is. Revolutions happen when you figure it out for yourselves.”

Kalikikopa

« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2022, 10:24:16 PM »
They called saying they got CFE Pistol in so i am assuming other powder came in

aletheuo137

« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2022, 07:03:55 AM »
Called me to let me know small pistol & small rifle primers are in!

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

DocMercy

« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2023, 08:56:58 AM »
I still get calls from SEC about ammo, and an occasional one on a new lot of Glock 40 MOS 10mm handguns they received recently. Since KHSC closed,  there are few places to use up my existing supply of ammo. I'm on their list for a 6.5 Creedmoor rifle, but maybe the downturn in business has made the store cautious about bringing in new rifles that may not sell quickly.
The used weapon market is probably in a pickle too, because there are so few places for buyers or stores to test out a gun.

Akubone1

« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2023, 09:46:50 AM »
If you think about how much ammo was shot every week at Kokohead, that a lot of lost sales for the LGS.  I’m guessing the majority of the ammo was ordered prior to Sept 2022, and they had to prepay.  Hopefully the range opens soon so they can recover some of their cost.

randay

« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2023, 09:58:56 AM »
Ive been dropping in to several stores for the past month buy random things. a box of ammo here, a charging handle there, a bottle of powder, cleaning supplies, etc... every store is flush with ammo unfortunately. hopefully the range opens soon!