Hunting axis deer on Maui? (Read 1482 times)

Eo12

Hunting axis deer on Maui?
« on: January 11, 2023, 09:40:47 PM »
Are the public hunting areas actually holding any axis deer? Or are they all on private lands? A friend and I would like to fly over for a doe/meat hunt for a day or 2. Any info is appreciated. Thanks.

aletheuo137

Re: Hunting axis deer on Maui?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2023, 07:51:40 PM »
Probably you got to call DLNR. Unless you know someone from there.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

Eo12

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2023, 11:05:15 PM »
Probably you got to call DLNR. Unless you know someone from there.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

Spoke with dlnr in November and they referred me to call shane demattos. Mentioned that they were working on opening up ranch acreage near kula early this year hopefully. Hoping to connect with someone on Maui that can help out or put us the the right direction.

MauiAxis

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2023, 07:24:25 AM »
Most deer are indeed on private land. Public land at Poli poli has been closed since the kona storm over a year ago.

Unless you have permission to hunt on private land or you can spend a bunch for an outfitter,  you might be better off going to Lanai. Pulama Lanai has day hunts that are affordable.

Eo12

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2023, 04:28:57 PM »
Most deer are indeed on private land. Public land at Poli poli has been closed since the kona storm over a year ago.

Unless you have permission to hunt on private land or you can spend a bunch for an outfitter,  you might be better off going to Lanai. Pulama Lanai has day hunts that are affordable.

Thanks, appreciate the info. I’ll check them out also.

bojanglez

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2023, 08:10:27 AM »
maui they are all on private, molokai has some reasonable outifts just make sure they are reputable

kkhawaii

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2023, 05:05:43 AM »
Anyone have any experience with kaluakoi. Outfitters on Molokai?