Tacoma or Frontier? (Read 1311 times)

tim808

Re: Tacoma or Frontier?
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2024, 12:58:13 PM »
If you are the type to keep your vehicles till it is difficult to find parts (over 20 years), I would avoid a super charger or a turbo

I had a supercharged 1995 previa van and the only reason I got rid of it was that it used a different distributor from the normal previa.  I think they were no longer made or real expensive….so the mechanic had to rebuilt the distributor

Our mechanic recommended that the next time the distributor went out, it might be better to get another cheap used van

The previa was not a safe van anyway….no motor up front similar to a vw bus so I gave it away

Previa had its flaws but it was cavernous.  We used it for the manana elem choir to transport risers and spreakers

changemyoil66

« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2024, 08:45:44 AM »
If you are the type to keep your vehicles till it is difficult to find parts (over 20 years), I would avoid a super charger or a turbo

I had a supercharged 1995 previa van and the only reason I got rid of it was that it used a different distributor from the normal previa.  I think they were no longer made or real expensive….so the mechanic had to rebuilt the distributor

Our mechanic recommended that the next time the distributor went out, it might be better to get another cheap used van

The previa was not a safe van anyway….no motor up front similar to a vw bus so I gave it away

Previa had its flaws but it was cavernous.  We used it for the manana elem choir to transport risers and spreakers

I"m surprised a big company like Toyota has this issue. 

stangzilla

« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2024, 09:01:31 AM »
I have a 2007 Supercharged Mustang. still runs great. I beat the crap out of the car
also a turbo 2016 Escape, runs fine. this is my daily driver
you just need to do regular maintenance on the forced induction and on the car itself and it should run fine.  although the escape turbo is built into the exhaust and gets oil from the oil pan so can't really do maintenance on it so much.  the whipple SC on the Mustang is more easily serviceable bc it sits on top and has its own intercooler and reservoir and oil filler on top

I had an old toyota p/u that had over 150k miles on it and it ran great.  sold it bc the body was getting rusted out
no experience with nissan, but my friend had a frontier for over 10 years and it ran great

RSN172

« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2024, 02:34:06 PM »
The reason I  would not buy a Nissan is because the BI dealer, Kamaaina Motors, is a rip off in sales and service.  A Honda Ridgeline will do what 90% of truck buyers wil ever use a truck for in more comfort than any other truck made. It is not as good for off road or towing as others but most people never go off road or tow more than 5000 lbs.

eyeeatingfish

« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2024, 09:18:29 PM »
Look at the Ranger. I don't know how it compares to the Nissan Frontier however I do know that the Ford Ranger was made to edge out the Tacoma in just about every measure.

tim808

« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2024, 06:10:08 PM »
What truck do all the bad guys use in the Middle East?   Those guys get a lot of backing / financing so I assume they get the most reliable truck available

I do see a lot of early 2000 frontiers still running around, so I’ll assume the newer frontiers are fairly robust too.

That said, I think the odds are that the Tacoma will have less issues.

If you’re not set on a truck and don’t need 4wd or high ground clearance, I think a used van is a better vehicle for hauling stuff and/or people for most people

Vans are
- cheap
- flexible (5 people with lots of leg room anf massive storage when the back seats are folded into the floor….or 2 people and cavernous storage if you take out the middle seats and fold the rear seats into the floor….or 8 with moderate storage.
- decent on gas
- carry a lot
- ease of loading/unloading - low floor, 3 doors
- better ride - uni-body vs body on frame

Yeah, they aren’t as cool.   But neither are old middle age guys with bald heads and/or white hair.   Besides no body knows/cares about you or your truck. 

In 100 years, basically no one will know you ever existed, a stranger will be living in your house, your cars will be scrap metal and all your possessions will be given/thrown away. 

Jk!!
Saw that on facebook and repeat it to my wife every time she reaches for something on a store shelf

I think a used Tacoma is a safer choice compared to a Nissan.   But Nissans are a little cheaper.   I probably would get a used Tacoma even if it is little more than a similar Frontier.   Would only get a Frontier if it was a lot cheaper….but I would hate the turning radius

rpoL98

« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2024, 07:10:30 PM »
I think the Toyota pickup trucks that they use to mount their Dushka AA machineguns, "technicals", aren't sold in any modern country.  shame that, since it has the solid front axle.  Similarly the Landcruiser favored by jihadi executives, solid front axle, popular Hellfire missile target, not sold in the US.  Not sure if they even sell them in Australia anymore, good for that rugged "outback" country.

available in the middle east, africa, those kinds of places.  Something to do with lack of emission controls, bumper impact standard, crash protection, etc.  Those "unregulated" places.  Killed off by modern civilization.  The original Land Rover suffered a similar fate.

« Last Edit: March 09, 2024, 06:09:49 PM by rpoL98 »

Heavies

« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2024, 07:19:49 PM »
Had a 2013 Taco. Really awesome and reliable truck. High miles on it, never an issue.  Had a 2021 Frontier. Seemed like a robust and good truck. Didn’t own it too long as gas prices got insane. 

Taco had slightly better gas mileage. Frontier was a beefier truck. (Has a full boxed frame).

I really take care of my vehicles and maintenance is religious. 

Not sure about new turbo engine on the Toyota.  Turbo vehicles usually require high octane fuel, and definitely synthetic oil changed frequently.