Ham Radio Operators (Read 16827 times)

kala201

Ham Radio Operators
« on: February 03, 2014, 04:23:41 PM »
Anyone here have their ham radio operator license at any level?  A friend and I were talking about it today.  He is working on his  General License.  His brother on the mainland is big time into it is gifting him a setup.  It got me thinking about looking into getting my licenses.

macsak

Re: Ham Radio Operators
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2014, 04:25:46 PM »
Anyone here have their ham radio operator license at any level?  A friend and I were talking about it today.  He is working on his  General License.  His brother on the mainland is big time into it is gifting him a setup.  It got me thinking about looking into getting my licenses.

jl808 is working on it
i am considering it

Q

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2014, 04:37:45 PM »
« Last Edit: December 12, 2016, 03:18:50 PM by Q »

Surf

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2014, 05:14:42 PM »
Was big into CB in the late 80's time frame and I too am interested in getting into ham.  I know you can do it on the relatively cheap, but this is another hobby that I could see myself getting in deep financially. 

hvybarrels

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2014, 05:36:57 PM »
I got my technician license in the fall. haven't used it much yet besides checking into net meetings on FM. the cool thing is that you can get a single band Chinese 5w handie talkie for like 40 bucks and sometimes hit as far away as the slopes of Mauna Kea using a good antenna. gonna go for the next level soon.
“Wars happen when the government tells you who the enemy is. Revolutions happen when you figure it out for yourselves.”

Jl808

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2014, 06:14:00 PM »
Yup. The technician and general operator licenses are next for me. I am planning on taking both tests at the same time to save on time.
I think, therefore I am armed.
NRA Life Patron member, HRA Life member, HiFiCo Life Member, HDF member

The United States Constitution © 1791. All Rights Reserved.

Haoleb

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2014, 07:54:17 PM »
I have had my technician class license since 2005, The test for that is quite easy. The General license test is much more difficult. I did not pass it the one time I took it.  I still have my GROL test book and have thought about studying up through it and going for it again though even though I am not into Ham.

Q

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2014, 08:18:09 PM »
« Last Edit: December 12, 2016, 03:14:20 PM by Q »

hvybarrels

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2014, 08:42:18 PM »
for intra island the problem with FM simplex is line of sight. more reliable to use HF especially if your friends live behind a big mountain. there are statewide repeater networks but then everyone is listening in. basically you unlock HF with a general ticket. the way I studied last time was taking online practice tests over and over until I memorized all the answers
“Wars happen when the government tells you who the enemy is. Revolutions happen when you figure it out for yourselves.”

Q

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2014, 09:00:44 PM »
« Last Edit: December 12, 2016, 03:14:35 PM by Q »

kala201

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2014, 10:02:36 PM »
Thanks everyone.  I think I'm gonna do it too.  My father-in-law was big time into it and still has some of his equipment.  He lives in the valley by JI808.  He has postcards with handles from people all over the world that he has talked to.  And like Surf my other half was into CB in the 80's.  Did you hang out with the group at the keyhole?  At least now I know I won't be going it alone.   :shaka:

Part of the reason I ask is because I want to get into kayak fishing and my friend caught me looking at VHF/UHF radios.  That is how we got onto the topic of Ham radio operators.

hvybarrels

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2014, 02:33:48 AM »
marine radios require a whole separate license. yachties don't want their bandwith polluted by nerds, but many of them have ham tickets and carry ham gear in plastic bags just in case.

SpeedTek

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • Car Nut, Machinist, Gunsmith & Monkey
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
    • X-Ring on the WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2014, 07:02:05 AM »
Been studying for a general for the last 45 years. Never took the test.

Morse code still embedded in my brain

try this: http://www.eham.net/exams/generateexams

got 65% without reviewing anything
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 07:22:33 AM by SpeedTek »
Political Correctness is FOS
I collect M1 Carbines, PM me if youre selling!
& Bolt Action 308s also 10/22 Rugers.
Buying STOCK Ruger 10/22 parts and bits, PM me.
Now doing Vintage VW Parts!

kala201

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2014, 08:36:58 AM »
marine radios require a whole separate license. yachties don't want their bandwith polluted by nerds, but many of them have ham tickets and carry ham gear in plastic bags just in case.

Thanks hvy.  That's something else I need to look into.  I am still on the fence about a handheld VHF/UHF radio, but my wife tells me better safe than sorry.

Jl808

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2014, 08:58:43 PM »
Been studying for a general for the last 45 years. Never took the test.

Morse code still embedded in my brain

try this: http://www.eham.net/exams/generateexams

got 65% without reviewing anything

65%?  You wouldn't have passed! 

I would probably need to study to pass though.  :thumbsup:

Jaydawg

« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2014, 08:51:45 PM »
Also try qrz.com and their tests at http://qrz.com/hamtest/

Got my General a few years ago.  They changed a few questions starting in 2012 or 2013 so if you get a study guide, make sure it is the newest version.  I haven't been active lately.  I got a used handheld and a diamond antenna for about $120 on ebay so it's not a lot of money to get started. 

Lots of info on Ron Hashiro's site on Hawaii emergency communications.  http://www.qsl.net/ah6rh/am-radio/in-hawaii.html

Good luck!

Jl808

« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2014, 07:48:17 AM »
Here is an awesome video study guide on Youtube based on the book "The Ham Whisperer's Technician Class License Course"
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1456484818/?tag=2ahawaii-20

MerryViking's Technician Class License Course
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7564E84F0A8082FD

MerryViking's General Exam Guide (warning: out of date)
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLF5479577E88162DA

MerryViking's Morse Code Guide (not needed for exam)
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLE29501CA11B567E8

« Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 08:59:10 AM by Jl808 »

TheLD

« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2014, 08:28:40 AM »
nice, i have my technician license.   for a while, WH6FM from the big island had an awesome WIN System repeater set up on Oahu at 444.725MHz.  dunno where it went recently , but it was cool to talk with him and folks from all over the world on my cheapo Baofeng UV-5R.  i'm thinking of setting up my own WIN repeater

macsak

« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2014, 08:58:03 AM »
nice, i have my technician license.   for a while, WH6FM from the big island had an awesome WIN System repeater set up on Oahu at 444.725MHz.  dunno where it went recently , but it was cool to talk with him and folks from all over the world on my cheapo Baofeng UV-5R.  i'm thinking of setting up my own WIN repeater

LD, how far can you get across the island without repeaters using the UV-5R?
for example, PC side to HK side?
or windward side to HK side?

Jaydawg

« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2014, 09:00:14 AM »
You can also do echolink via voip.  Very easy to sign up and you can get the app for your smartphone.