Question: springfield 1911 GI milspec (Read 4443 times)

zhuzhits

Question: springfield 1911 GI milspec
« on: March 01, 2012, 09:57:26 AM »
Several questions,

1) I got it used from my friend, so the plunger tube is loose on the hammer side. Cheaper to have a shop punch it tight or to buy the tool & do it myself?
2) seems like a hassle to fit a upgraded beavertal grip safety. Any suggestions on the best brand to buy for minimal adjustments?
3) best upgraded hammer to buy for minimal adjustments?
4) the GI sights s*ck donkey balls, fast target aquisition is impossible... Being a rookie, I cant tell if I can change out the sights or if I need to go to a gunsmith or change the whole barrel.

Any help is greatly appreciated  :shaka:

GZire

Re: Question: springfield 1911 GI milspec
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2012, 04:11:38 PM »
Can you take a pic of the gun?  Sights are mounted on the slide, so the question becomes do you need a sight pusher, you can drift the sights yourself with a punch, or if you can't adjust the POA period.

zhuzhits

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 06:38:12 PM »
Not to sure if you can tell from this stock pic, I'm working on uploading actual pics

[attachment deleted by admin]

Heavies

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2012, 03:38:11 AM »
One thing about 1911s is the mods are not quite that easy.  The frame usuallly has to be modified (ground, filed, and fitted) to accept a beavertail grip safety. Most bevertail safeties will not accept the full hammer.  The sights can be changed to more visible ones, be the front sight is staked on through the slide.  Special tube is required to remove and stake a new one on.

GZire

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2012, 07:39:32 AM »
Depending on the rear sight you want, you will probably need to recut the rear sight notch to fit the new one.

You can change the slide, but it's highly probable that fitting will be required.  Same thing goes with barrels, however there are barrel kits such as Kart  where you can fit the barrel yourself.  If you do that, I'd suggest the matched barrel/bushing set.
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=7611/avs|Manufacturer_1=KART%20PRECISION%20BARREL/Product/1911-AUTO-EASY-FIT-BARREL-KIT

A lot of 1911 parts require fitting.   All and all if you want to make wholesale improvements you may just want to buy a 1911 with the mods you want on it.

zhuzhits

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2012, 04:14:04 PM »
Dang. If knew all that  before, theres no way I'd have gotten it.  :worship:Thx for the info... Sounds simpler to paint the sights with white nail polish & clear coat it. Lol.  Looks like it will stay all stock!  :(

Teichi

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2012, 04:54:13 PM »
How does it shoot? I kinda figure that it may be servicable as is. The US used it as such from 1911 thru 1986 and there are still a bunch around in original configuration.

What are you planning to use it for? Plinking and home defense it should be good as is if it shoots reliably. Competition use would need major work for any gun game other than IDPA that is not shot in Hawaii anyway.

There are a couple of drop in parts that may help, but shoot it first as and see how it and where it groups before you start changing stuff. Blackening the sights are usually better that whitening for target work

It's up to you if you want to bling it out. I say spend money on ammo and a reloading set up instead.

astroboy

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2012, 03:23:17 AM »
Brownells has the tool to restake the tube or you can make one yourself. You should be able to support the tube with a close fitting drill bit and then place the stripped frame in a padded vise, with pressure against the tube. A dog legged punch is usually used to restake the tube. An automatic centrer punch with a thin punch tip may also work. A modified slip joint plier can also be used to make a staking tool. Some of the grips like the Colt wood grips will help to support the tube and may help to prevent the tube rivets from working loose.

zhuzhits

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2012, 05:56:27 AM »
Thanks for all the ideas guys. It's staying stock. It's simplicity is growing on me!

Heavies

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2012, 11:38:35 AM »
Thanks for all the ideas guys. It's staying stock. It's simplicity is growing on me!

Roger dat. Nothing as cool as a GI 1911! :thumbsup:

Just get a tricked out one later if you feel the need for one.