Linked Events

• HDF Suit: State Response Due: September 21, 2011
  • HDF Suit: Hearing on Plaintiff's MOTION for Prelim Inj: March 21, 2012
  • HDF Suit: Oral Arguments: December 06, 2012

HONOLULU POLICE CHIEF AND STATE OF HAWAII SUED FOR SECOND AMENDMENT VIOLATIONS (Read 276901 times)

Funtimes

NEWS RELEASE

Hawaii Defense Foundation
P.O. Box #1798  Aiea, Hawaii 96817
 (808) 664-1827  Fax:  808-748-3376

For Immediate Release: 8/23/2011

Honolulu, HI – The Hawaii Defense Foundation's founding director and president, Christopher Baker, has filed a lawsuit against Honolulu Chief of Police Louis Kealoha, the Honolulu Police Department, the City and County of Honolulu, the State of Hawaii, and Governor Neil Abercrombie in connection with civil rights violations of the Second and Fourteenth Amendments of the United States Constitution.

The complaint filed in the United States District Court for the District of Hawaii by attorneys Richard Holcomb, Alan Beck, and Kevin O'Grady alleges that Hawaii's license to carry statute and various other firearm regulations are unconstitutional. State law mandates that citizens may be provided licenses to carry only in "exceptional circumstance" or "where a need or urgency has been sufficiently indicated," all at the discretion of the county's Chief of Police. The complaint asserts that this language violates the Second Amendment, which secures the right of all responsible, law-abiding citizens to bear arms for the purpose of self-defense. Additionally, the complaint also addresses the use of non-lethal tools for self-defense such as electric guns, which are banned in in Hawaii.

"The Second Amendment protects the right to self-defense. Everyday around the islands good people are robbed, assaulted, raped, or in the worst cases murdered. It's simply a matter of physics, the Police can't be everywhere to stop criminals from committing violent acts. We must be allowed to carry the tools that give us a chance to protect ourselves from harm," says Chris Baker. "We want criminals to have to think about the consequences of attacking someone," he continued, "but right now, nothing serves as a deterrent to them - the odds are in their favor."
Hawaii Defense Foundation (www.TheHDF.org) is a domestic not-for-profit corporation based in Honolulu, Hawaii. The Foundation serves the community by providing various services, such as: legal defense of civil rights, educational courses on firearm safety, self-defense training, and life saving techniques – such as first aid and CPR.  The Foundation has many supporters and members across the State of Hawaii.

If you would like to show your support or are looking for additional information please contact the Foundation's Secretary, Erica Castillo, at (808) 664-1827 or info(at)hawaiidefensefoundation.org.

###

Copy of the complaint can be found:
http://www.hawaiidefensefoundation.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/CV11-00513SOM-RLP.pdf

Copy of the press release:
http://www.hawaiidefensefoundation.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/Lawsuit-Press-Release.pdf

6/26/2012 Appeals Brief Filed with the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals:

Appeals brief filed with the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals.

Appellant Brief File Copy 065

http://www.hawaiidefensefoundation.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/Appellant-Brief-File-Copy-065.pdf

« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 07:35:25 AM by 2aHawaii »

Kingkeoni

Good job.

Its about time someone stepped up and put their proverbial "money where their mouth is"

Thank you.
Your number one Option for Personal Security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.

Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.

antoinebugleboy

There ain't no such thing as a free lunch. - Heinlein

I swear by my life, and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. - Rand

What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence. - Hitchens

peregrine

Awesome...
I really hope and pray these attorneys have everything lined up.

My google FU has shown

K. O'grady
http://www.criminalandmilitarydefensehawaii.com/

R. Holcomb
http://www.honoluluduilawyeronline.com/

stegosaurus

Bravo! Good luck.

P.S. Any media coverage on this?
"When you outlaw guns, only the outlaws have guns."

Dregs

Awesome stuff man!  :thumbsup:

Vladimir

:thumbsup: Awesome!

BananaClip

:shaka: AAAUUURRRRIITTTEEEE!!! :shaka:
"In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth"- Genesis1:1 KJV

"The Truth Shall Set You Free"

"Once Blind But Now i See"

HiCarry

Way to go Chris....all that hard work prepping has paid off....IANAL but I have to admit I enjoyed reading your complaint and believe (for whatever that's worth...) that it was well written and convincing. Good Luck!

Cougar8045

Way to go Chris....all that hard work prepping has paid off....IANAL but I have to admit I enjoyed reading your complaint and believe (for whatever that's worth...) that it was well written and convincing. Good Luck!
^^^This.^^^ 
Chris, you're the man, and win or lose, we all owe you a lot!
I'm just a fluffy white bunny rabbit who lost his way. 

"If a thief be found breaking in, and be smitten that he die, there shall no blood be shed for him. ..."  -Exodus 22:2

vooduchikn

^^^This.^^^ 
Chris, you're the man, and win or lose, we all owe you a lot!

Glad to see this happen. Patiently awaiting the outcome. Good job. Keep us up to speed.

No wonder i haven't heard hide nor hair from you in a while. Don't worry, your Dillon is safe with me.

Go about your business. This is not the reloader you are looking for... >:D
Relax, I've banned myself..

Funtimes

I've been so slammed man.  I slept two nights in front of my computer chair, never even saw my bedroom :(.

vooduchikn

I've been so slammed man.  I slept two nights in front of my computer chair, never even saw my bedroom :(.

Get some rest man. You got a bunch of people behind you.

Time to reload soon, so you need to be rested.  Sweat shop style reloading the night before the shoot is old policy!  We are making ammo, not ADIDAS.

See you soon. Good luck Brother! 
Relax, I've banned myself..

BMWRider

Lmk court dates. I would love to sit in the gallery for this.

Funtimes

As a reminder! Freedom isn't free -- please donate if you can.  For those who have, it is much appreciated. 

If you can't donate, please refer people to us for firearms training.  I volunteer my time and the proceeds go towards legal funds and materials.

Heavies

Funtimes,

You are one of those guys that lead folks to victory!  Thank you for all your hard work and enthusiasm!

My prayers are with us on this one, I hope change can take effect here in Hawaii. 

With all of the new firearm owners cropping up, there should be no problem getting support for the cause.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Donation inbound!! ;)
« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 03:56:40 AM by Heavies »

MisterEd

:thumbsup:I've been waiting for this day. 

Just joined HDF, my check will go out in today's mail.

Thank you Chris, as well as O'Grady, & Holcomb for your efforts.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

aloha,
    Ed

MisterEd

Forgot to add Mr. Beck in my previous message. 
  Ed

tuor

[Gandalf]
...so it begins..
/Gandalf

Thank you Funtimes and team, I'm anxiously looking forward to this.
Life NRA Member
Life SAF Member

Jaydawg

Finally got to read all 46 pages. 

Thanks, Chris, for being the tip of the spear.  Good luck and God Bless.