Ordering from Grafs & Sons? (Read 3050 times)

Rhed

Ordering from Grafs & Sons?
« on: February 14, 2019, 09:21:12 PM »
Anyone ordered anything from them recently? I never did. And I was going to. But at the last step of purchase, it didn’t give me a total with shipping. Even though I chose 7.95 ground. It said once I confirm, it will total everything up with shipping since I live outside of 48 states. Also, they will charge sales tax too per new law. wtf? Sheez! Yesterday, I ordered a T7 press from brownells, no tax, and free 2nd day air (well that’s with my Edge club). But still! I just hate to finalize my order from grafs then get a 40$ shipping slapped on with tax by surprise.

ren

Re: Ordering from Grafs & Sons?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2019, 10:06:47 PM »
ordered a few items but it was over a year ago
shipping was OK. they have some deals here and then - especially Lee stuff
Deeds Not Words

Rhed

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2019, 10:39:20 PM »
ordered a few items but it was over a year ago
shipping was OK. they have some deals here and then - especially Lee stuff

I might just give them a call tomorrow and ask about shipping cost to Hawaii. They have most things there that’s cheaper then others. And in stock. But, if shipping was gonna offset the cost. Then I could just go with Brownells and get free 2nd day air. Btw, that Edge program I paid for 49$ at brownells really made its money worth. Well let you know what they say.

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2019, 01:02:21 AM »
Anyone ordered anything from them recently? I never did. And I was going to. But at the last step of purchase, it didn’t give me a total with shipping. Even though I chose 7.95 ground. It said once I confirm, it will total everything up with shipping since I live outside of 48 states. Also, they will charge sales tax too per new law. wtf? Sheez! Yesterday, I ordered a T7 press from brownells, no tax, and free 2nd day air (well that’s with my Edge club). But still! I just hate to finalize my order from grafs then get a 40$ shipping slapped on with tax by surprise.

There are several things to look at to understand which companies collect tax for Hawaii.

One is, how much business they do with Hawaii residents. I read if they do $100,000 in revenue or have at least 200 Hawaii-based transactions in a year, they are considered obligated to pay excise tax in Hawaii.  Of course, they aren't going to pay -- the customer is.

Second, if they have a physical presence in Hawaii, such as a brick and mortar location or are associated with a company already paying excise tax here, they are on the hook as well.  If you order online from Home Depot, they will collect tax since they have physical stores here, too.

There are exemptions for certain industries like scientific research or high tech companies, but those are the main rules that seem to apply to most Internet sellers.

https://www.taxjar.com/states/hawaii-sales-tax-online/
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

mrgaf

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2019, 09:40:47 AM »
I’ve ordered from them recently. A day or so after placing the order I got am email with the adjusted shipping price and was asked to call them to either give the ok or cancel.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.  Thomas Paine.

No man can get rich in politics unless he is a crook.  It cannot be done. Harry Truman

Only good liberal is one taking a dirt nap.

Rhed

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2019, 03:49:58 PM »
I’ve ordered from them recently. A day or so after placing the order I got am email with the adjusted shipping price and was asked to call them to either give the ok or cancel.
Yea they said the same thing when I called them on Friday. After check out, they’re gonna call about shipping cost before they charge anything.

rklapp

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2019, 09:37:05 AM »
I haven't ordered from them since 2016 because they can't bother to tell me what the cost of shipping is to Hawaii at the checkout. Brownells has most of what I need. I usually check the coupons at gun.deals to find out what the latest coupon code is. They usually have an unadvertised 10% off plus free shipping available. That's how I got the Chargemaster Lite for $172 including shipping. If it's over 8#, Brownells will charge me $10 after I place the order but they'll give it back if I call and complain. Cabelas also has free shipping to Hawaii but I find their website difficult to navigate. Amazon Prime is okay but limited stock.

With my DD214, I signed up with Expert Voice which gives 40% off name brands. Haven't used it yet. Anyone here use it?
https://www.expertvoice.com/
Yahh! Freedom and justice shall always prevail over tyranny, Babysitter Girl!
https://ronsreloading.wordpress.com/

Rhed

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2019, 11:05:31 PM »
Exactly.. I just don’t know why G&S online ordering system doesn’t calculate the shipping already. It’s extra step for them to call about shipping. I mean, what if you don’t have time to answer the phone or check email. It’ll just end up with extra delays. Anyways, you’re right about Brownells. They have most stuffs there. Last year, I paid for hat Edge club they have for 49$ annual. Free 2nd day air no matter weight or size. No joke! The package comes in 2 days. Never fails. I made more then moneys worth with shipping from them, lol. Yea, I always watch for sales and promos. I like when they have sales on items + the 10$ off over 100, 20 over 200, 30 over 300. Or the 10% off. Then on check out, 2nd day air shipping is zero because of Edge. Recently, I picked up a Redding T7 for 269$ then free 2nd day air. Yea came in in 2 days lol.. And the thing ain’t light too.