Which Mini Red Dot do you like and why (Read 3671 times)

changemyoil66

Which Mini Red Dot do you like and why
« on: March 25, 2019, 12:59:54 PM »
Tried my friends Holosun MRD and it was amazing the immediate difference.  Rapid fire grouping at 5 yards with iron sights is about a jabone.  With the MRD, it was a duck egg.  Same gun and ammo, 1 had MRD, the other didn't.  Target pick up after each round was the biggest difference.

So much info and reviews online that it's overwhelming.  Pretty much ruled out the Trijicon RMR due to price.  SIG no work on VP9.

drck1000

Re: Which Mini Red Dot do you like and why
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2019, 01:21:56 PM »
My personal experience owning them is limited, but I’ve seen RDS’s on handguns for a while. Mounted on a handgun slide, they take beating. I’ve seen many cheaper ones fail during classes. Some mount failures with the connection screw shearing off, also the dot going on the blink. Personally, I’d stick with Trijicon RMR and Leupold Deltapoint.

jase90

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2019, 01:48:21 PM »
I only have experience with the RMR. Got two of them on my Glocks. The great thing I hear about the Holosun is that it shares the same footprint as the Trijicon RMR, which is probably the most common saddle milled in the aftermarket followed by the Deltapoint most likely.

I'm actually interested in the Aimpoint Acro that just came out because of its enclosed emitter. One thing I really didn't like about the RMR is that when I go to shoot on my coworkers ranch in the rain, the droplets do in fact scatter the dot in the window and it just looks like a cluster of red stars. Gotta take my t-shirt and constantly wipe the emitter. Droplets on the window aren't that bad when shooting with both eyes open. Just gotta make sure there is no droplets refracting your emitter light. Whether that is a concern to you is up to you.

The Holosun should be $100-$200 cheaper than a Trijicon. If you do pick one up let us know how it performs. I believe they are solar assisted too. Pretty cool.

TooFewPews

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2019, 01:56:03 PM »
FYI, you shot the Holosun HS507C

in no particular order:

Holosun HS507C -

Vortex Viper -

Leupold Delta Point Pro -

Sig Romeo 1 -

Trijicon RMR Type 2 -

Extended Review -

Shield RMS -
« Last Edit: March 25, 2019, 02:55:56 PM by TooFewPews »

drck1000

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2019, 02:07:16 PM »
I only have experience with the RMR. Got two of them on my Glocks. The great thing I hear about the Holosun is that it shares the same footprint as the Trijicon RMR, which is probably the most common saddle milled in the aftermarket followed by the Deltapoint most likely.

I'm actually interested in the Aimpoint Acro that just came out because of its enclosed emitter. One thing I really didn't like about the RMR is that when I go to shoot on my coworkers ranch in the rain, the droplets do in fact scatter the dot in the window and it just looks like a cluster of red stars. Gotta take my t-shirt and constantly wipe the emitter. Droplets on the window aren't that bad when shooting with both eyes open. Just gotta make sure there is no droplets refracting your emitter light. Whether that is a concern to you is up to you.

The Holosun should be $100-$200 cheaper than a Trijicon. If you do pick one up let us know how it performs. I believe they are solar assisted too. Pretty cool.
That emitter thing is one that I read about, but haven’t really experienced. I’ve shot the RMR in the rain, but not that heavy where it got in the emitter.

I friend has a Vortex Venom on a handgun and a rifle. It seems to have held up well, but it doesn’t shoot as often as he used to.

jaynick

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2019, 08:11:18 PM »
The holosun is pretty sweet. Picked one up from kaleoarms.
Drawbacks are its new, its a little large(wont fit on my pistol rack in my safe while the rmr just squeezed in), buttons are much too small, auto adjust brightness not as good as trijicon, seems the glass cracks kinda easy in a couple of reviews, and it just looks cheap, even airsoftish. Thinking about carefully painting mine to hide the chinesium.

Pros are the window is a little bigger than the proven miniature dots out there, and the reticle is surprisingly crisp and much easier to acquire than just a dot. I even dig the circle reticle with no dot option. Its hard to tell because the dots are different sizes but i think it may just be crisper than my rmr06..

ren

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2019, 10:28:01 PM »
shot an 1911 with an Aimpoint Micro. put dot on target press trigger..so easy
Deeds Not Words

drck1000

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2019, 05:29:33 AM »
Been researching more about the Holosun 507C and seems to get pretty good reviews. Watched the Sage Dynamics one posted above as well as others. I am thinking of getting a 19 MOS and might give this one a try since I already have a 17 slide with an RMR.

I had watched many reviews by Sage Dynamics, but had mostly been about shooting with micro dots and LPVO. His evaluations on micro dots is interesting, especially with the 2000 rounds per gun (at least goal). The drop tests did make me cringe, but still interesting. While I enjoy testing out stuff, not quite ready to try any of that. At least not until I win the MegaBucks. Haha

TooFewPews

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2019, 06:14:40 AM »
The HS507C has been kind of discontinued. Last time I checked, Holosun took it off their website. It is going to be replaced by an “upgraded” model, which will have marginally better features, but will be a decent amount more expensive.  IMO, I think the “upgraded” model is bordering dangerously close into the RMR price range.

You could still get the HS507C from some places, but you better act soon. Once everyone is sold out, then that’s it.

jase90

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2019, 06:26:08 AM »
Seems to me all those optics are very well made besides that SIG and Shield lol. Seems to me the Holosun is even more rugged than the Deltapoint.

Even though I would never treat any optic that way it's nice to know it's tolerant to overly exaggerated human error.

I took a closer took at pictures of the Holosun 507c, and yes it has that chinese slick gloss finish lol. I'm pretty sure if you can get over that it will serve as a great optic.

Although after watching those reviews made me happy I waited two different tax return seasons to get the two RMRs I own lol. I'm guessing that patented window shroud made all the difference to the optic being able to take an impact.... a lot of impacts.

Influence

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2019, 11:02:10 PM »
Personally, I like rmr 06 model.  I like the 3.25 MOA dot and the adjustable brightness.  Currently have a type 1 on my G19 and was debating a type 2 for another handgun.  I honestly haven’t shot anything else but did a lot of research. 

I’d prefer to be able to change the battery without removing the rds from the slide.  Considered the DPP but ultimately went with the RMR.

I’m a fan of Holosun and have one on my AR.  Recently bought a Ruger Mark IV and will likely put on a Holosun or Vortex