C- BLOCKER (Read 2149 times)

Rocky

C- BLOCKER
« on: February 12, 2021, 09:22:40 AM »

Any way to block some one from seeing your post ?
Any way to block some one from replying to your post ?
Any way to block some one from liking your post ?
What does "blocking" do ?

Tired of reading all of these petty rants, raves, hijacks and smart @$$e$.  :grrr:

I'll post the following example in hopes of avoiding it as one of  "those"  reply's
"Yeah, you could just stop coming to 2a"   :crazy:
“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
                                                           Franklin D. Roosevelt

Flapp_Jackson

Re: C- BLOCKER
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2021, 10:28:46 AM »
Any way to block some one from seeing your post ?
Any way to block some one from replying to your post ?
Any way to block some one from liking your post ?
What does "blocking" do ?

Tired of reading all of these petty rants, raves, hijacks and smart @$$e$.  :grrr:

I'll post the following example in hopes of avoiding it as one of  "those"  reply's
"Yeah, you could just stop coming to 2a"   :crazy:

Seriously, that's why most sites have moderators.  There's no way to block an individual from reading your posts or otherwise interacting with you.  The Blocking feature just obscures their posts so you can more easily ignore them, but even that doesn't really work -- all that has to happen is for someone to quote that person, and you'll see the quoted post.

Moderators should have a set of rules and guidelines to objectively and fairly judge users based on their posts and the responses by other members.  For example, if someone repeatedly receives the Stop-Jack emoticon from multiple users in multiple threads, they should be given a warning or two, then have their posting privileges suspended for a time.  If they continue ignoring the hijack warnings after having privileges restored, then they should be banned for failing to respect the moderators.

I'm not going to get into why or who.  All I can say is this isn't FB or Twitter.  At least they give users more control over who can see and respond to their comments.  Even then, it's not perfect.  You can filter out a specific person from your view, but others still see them.  That means you'll be reading one side of the conversation without seeing the blocked person's posts -- similar to here.

One of the problems that arises from these situations is, if the mods aren't proactive, then members tend to try and handle the "problem member" themselves.  That's where many, if not most, of the topic derailments occur.  Without the risk of being suspended, that person sees no incentive to stop the antagonistic behavior.

Free speech is one thing.  Disruption and constant refusal to change their behavior (not their opinions) is another thing altogether.

Just my opinion. I know AH is going to troll me on this, so be prepared.
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

omnigun

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2021, 10:47:38 AM »
This is how echo chambers are formed.  Kick out all who don't assimilate and share the same view.  Also contrary to popular belief many gun owners in Hawaii are not raging hard conservatives.  You would be eliminating a decent chunk of gun owners. Hard to protect rights when you exclude the majority. Not to mention, it would be pretty hypocritical to hate FB/Twitter about their "moderation" and complain about free speech when you do/want the same exact thing.  And lastly 2a is not a political party.

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2021, 10:58:03 AM »
I repeat:  behavior, not opinions.

It's not the message.

It's the messenger.
-- Melvin Udall

omnigun

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2021, 12:29:31 PM »
I repeat:  behavior, not opinions.

It's not the message.

It's the messenger.

Not even close.  I see seen how many treat others with any liberal or center leanings.  You know we probably have some Biden voters on this site too. 

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2021, 12:35:00 PM »
Not even close.  I see seen how many treat others with any liberal or center leanings.  You know we probably have some Biden voters on this site too.

So, here you are -- arguing about political affiliations and who voted for Biden in a thread intended to discuss:

Tired of reading all of these petty rants, raves, hijacks and smart @$$e$.

Thanks for the demonstration.
-- Melvin Udall

Rocky

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2021, 03:39:28 PM »
Ironic as hell via President Trump style 3D chess.
I rest my case.   :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
 :closed:
“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
                                                           Franklin D. Roosevelt

aieahound

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2021, 09:05:25 PM »
Good job Rock.
2 mullets with one net.
(Maybe three if you count me, but crap Man, you set it up.  :rofl:)

Couldn’t troll you if I wanted to on this one Flapp as that would go against Rock’s original post and I have to much respect for the man.
(Although Lord knows I want to as it would be to easy.)

Rock,
You left out (commonly found in many threads):

Omni reply post to anything and everything. (Thread heading off rails )
Reply:   .
Reply:    ..
Flapp reply (thread continues off rails)
Omni reply (definitely going off rails)
Reply:   .
Reply:   ..
Flapp reply (thread goes into woods)
Omni reply ( and over cliff )
Cycle continues.

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2021, 10:25:35 PM »
Good job Rock.
2 mullets with one net.
(Maybe three if you count me, but crap Man, you set it up.  :rofl:)

Maybe?   ::)   

Nobody saw that coming? 

:geekdanc:
-- Melvin Udall