Gun buyback (Read 1381 times)

MauiAxis

Gun buyback
« on: October 24, 2023, 02:42:00 PM »
https://mauinow.com/?p=433847

I see there was a gun buyback on Oahu. When I was back mainland, these were great gun purchasing opportunities, just offer more to customers as they approached.

changemyoil66

Re: Gun buyback
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2023, 03:07:50 PM »
HI makes it hard to do that as they know they're ripping people off.  You had to remain in your car and LEO took the gun from your trunk in the parking lot.  They didn't let people enter the parking lot who are not in a vehicle as walk ins weren't allowed.

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2023, 05:03:11 PM »
Another thing that made mainland buybacks better than here is they would offer cash via a prepaid charge card.

Many would turn in trash guns and use the money to replace it with a new gun.

Or, as mentioned, some would set up tables just outside the event and offer owners a better deal.

Since HDP declared this buyback a success, it's likely they will hold more buybacks on neighbor islands now.

"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

ren

Deeds Not Words

QUIETShooter

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2023, 09:11:48 AM »
What's the next Giftcard?

Zippy's?

Make it even better:  Sears.   :thumbsup:
Sometimes you gotta know when to save your bullets.

changemyoil66

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2023, 09:15:15 AM »
Another thing that made mainland buybacks better than here is they would offer cash via a prepaid charge card.

Many would turn in trash guns and use the money to replace it with a new gun.

Or, as mentioned, some would set up tables just outside the event and offer owners a better deal.

Since HDP declared this buyback a success, it's likely they will hold more buybacks on neighbor islands now.

This varies, but some mainland buy backs also offered more.  Which means more incentive for a criminal to turn a gun in.  Like when NV dispensaries decided how much to charge for Pakalolo, they couldn't go higher than the market (street) rate.

Green stated on his IG when someone asked about all the fed funding that wasn't used, they will hold more. He didn't specify other islands. 

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2023, 11:24:05 AM »
This varies, but some mainland buy backs also offered more.  Which means more incentive for a criminal to turn a gun in.  Like when NV dispensaries decided how much to charge for Pakalolo, they couldn't go higher than the market (street) rate.

Green stated on his IG when someone asked about all the fed funding that wasn't used, they will hold more. He didn't specify other islands.

I read the comment from HPD/Governor (they share the same agenda) that IF this buyback is successful, they will schedule more on neighbor islands.

It's in one of the news items linked in the posts here.  I'm just not going to go back and find it.  But, you can feel free to search if you wish!  I guarantee it's there, just not sure which one.  :geekdanc:
-- Melvin Udall

changemyoil66

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2023, 12:07:44 PM »
I read the comment from HPD/Governor (they share the same agenda) that IF this buyback is successful, they will schedule more on neighbor islands.

It's in one of the news items linked in the posts here.  I'm just not going to go back and find it.  But, you can feel free to search if you wish!  I guarantee it's there, just not sure which one.  :geekdanc:

I believe u.

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2023, 05:05:51 PM »
I believe u.

Well, since I had a minute, I thought I'd test my Google-Fu.

The link I wanted came up 3rd from the top, and was highlighted as "already clicked."  Searched for "island" and BAM!

I've still got it!!   :geekdanc:

If the buyback on Oahu is successful, Lowe said more will be planned on neighbor islands.
-- Jordan Lowe, director of the Department of Law Enforcement.

https://www.civilbeat.org/2023/10/cops-want-guns-off-the-streets-but-are-buyback-programs-the-way/
-- Melvin Udall

eyeeatingfish

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2023, 09:03:50 PM »
I am kind of neutral on buybacks (volunteer type).
If a gun owner wants to turn in a gun they don't want/need for a couple hundred bucks then so be it.
I am not thrilled that our tax payer dollars are doing it though,

In the end I wonder how many lives saved could be attributed to a buyback. I do think if the government spends money it should have a way to measure whether it worked or not.

macsak

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2023, 12:01:08 PM »

changemyoil66

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2023, 12:48:20 PM »
I am kind of neutral on buybacks (volunteer type).
If a gun owner wants to turn in a gun they don't want/need for a couple hundred bucks then so be it.
I am not thrilled that our tax payer dollars are doing it though,

In the end I wonder how many lives saved could be attributed to a buyback. I do think if the government spends money it should have a way to measure whether it worked or not.

I've seen many pics of buy backs and many show wooded stock type of guns.  So since there is no way to know for sure if a buy back works, lets think about what type of guns are used illegally.  I highly doubt the majority used have wooden stocks. Although there is vid of a Ruger Percision Rifle used in a crime (bolt action and all black with no wood).

But on the other side of the spectrum, what types of guns are used by children and accidents?  This IDK the answer to this one as I've never looked into it.

Buy backs are marketed in the wrong way and perceived by fools in the same way.  If someone was really concerned about their guns falling into the wrong hands, why wait until a buy back?  They could easily drop them off at any police station.  It's cause they're afraid, but still want to get paid in some way, which means $ is more important than their perceived safety of others.

I don't think our tax dollars should fund these, but why doesn't anti 2A orgs fund them?  Cause they don't want people to give away their guns, they rather take them away.

QUIETShooter

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2023, 12:58:17 PM »
I think gun buy backs do little or no impact of taking guns out of the wrong hands.

People will take advantage of the gun buybacks to get rid of guns left to them from family or they are getting old and just don't want them anymore.

None of these people handing over the guns for the life of them would have committed suicide or killed or harmed anyone.  But of course the government won't mention any of this because what is important is getting rid of as much guns until there is none to be found anywhere.

Except in their private security detail, government agencies, and the military.

Civilians are good only for two things:  Tax revenue and control of mindset and behavior.

Just an opinion, of course.
Sometimes you gotta know when to save your bullets.