Naked and Afraid, What item would you choose? (Read 12485 times)

RSN172

Re: Naked and Afraid, What item would you choose?
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2017, 08:29:50 AM »
They would allow one bag, like you cannot request one case of bottled water.

zippz

« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2017, 02:30:21 PM »
Most important things are a knife/machete and a pot.  A knife allows you to make tools, cut wood, and hunt with.  A pot allows you to collect, transport, and boil water which prevents disease.  I would not want to drink stagnant swamp water without sterilizing it.  Mosquito net would be a good third option if you're in a place with lots of ants and mosquitos, especially to protect against diseases.

A tarp would be useful for shelter and collecting water, but you can do that with leaves and wood.  Firestarter is nice but you can start a fire with sticks.
Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

zippz

« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2017, 02:35:40 PM »
The problem I have with this show is that most of them are not surviving.  They're slowly dying.  To me surviving is that you can go on for months.  Not just barely make it to 21 days.

I was wondering the same thing too, most of them would eventually die.  In real life, they wouldn't be restricted to one area.  They'd be moving around for miles looking for places with best resources and once it's exhausted, move to another area.  In the show they seem content with starving knowing it'll all be over in 21 days.
Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

RSN172

« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2017, 03:56:16 PM »
Good thing my SHTF kit is not limited to 3 items.

jonjon

« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2017, 09:00:10 AM »

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

RSN172

« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2017, 09:39:43 PM »

A tarp would be useful for shelter and collecting water, but you can do that with leaves and wood.  Firestarter is nice but you can start a fire with sticks.

No way a shelter made of leaves and wood will keep you dry if there is a good rain.  When you get wet, you will get cold.  I have often wondered how difficult it would be to start a fire with sticks.  Has anyone on here done that?

Rocky

« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2017, 06:41:36 AM »
No way a shelter made of leaves and wood will keep you dry if there is a good rain.  When you get wet, you will get cold.  I have often wondered how difficult it would be to start a fire with sticks.  Has anyone on here done that?
:wave:
Actually made my kids do it, while on the beach no less.
Rockette and I have thought about trying it again, but that little project is on the back burner for now.  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
                                                           Franklin D. Roosevelt

drck1000

« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2017, 07:07:09 AM »
Yeah, I've started fires with stick. Dry sticks though. Go to PCC and they have a demonstration to show how one of the Polynesian cultures started fire with rubbing a "starter" stuck in the channel of another. I think it was in the area for Tahiti. It takes some time, but doable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2017, 12:17:58 PM »
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

zippz

« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2017, 12:35:45 PM »
Tom Hanks in Cast Away - Making a Fire Scene

That'll be a good experiment to do with my nephew.

aieahound

« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2017, 01:30:12 PM »
PCC technique

I'm sure it's harder than the magnesium and flint or ferro rod technique though.
The 14 year olds made a huge Bon fire at camp last month with magnesium and flint fire starter.

For me hard choice between a tarp which could be used for all kinds of stuff and small pot as clean water is necessary.
Would consider a small hiking water filter also.

Assuming 1 of these is in addition to the machete and the fire starter.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 01:36:11 PM by aieahound »

macsak

« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2017, 02:00:49 PM »
I think they only allow 1 choice per contestant.

can i pick jessica alba or zoe saldana?

zippz

« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2017, 02:06:53 PM »
PCC technique
How to Make Fire by Rubbing Sticks

Wow that fast fast and it looked easy.  I thought it takes like 10 minutes for an expert to do.

drck1000

« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2017, 02:34:38 PM »
That's the technique taught as activity at PCC. It takes a while and the ember actually can take some time after initial smoke.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PeaShooter

« Reply #34 on: August 04, 2017, 02:57:36 PM »
If you watch enough episodes of this, the worst girls have been far wimpier than the worst guys. Still they are way better than me, my rating would probably be zero.