New Change in Firearm Paper Work at HPD (Read 174201 times)

stangzilla

Re: New Change in Firearm Paper Work at HPD
« Reply #320 on: December 23, 2015, 12:56:57 PM »
Received this new note from HPD the morning of 12/17/2015. Note the word changing from their previous request.

thats very interesting since a doctor from Kaiser is writing a note, and that's against Kaiser policy.
they dont like their staff going against their company policy.
when they have a letter that may be leagally binding, they have a prepared letter that they send out and its all the same.

if HPD is changing their policy, who's to say that when i go in next week for example, now the policy is changed again.

its like it changes like the tradewinds.  who really knows what to expect anymore.

Dumbgun

« Reply #321 on: December 23, 2015, 05:40:37 PM »
thats very interesting since a doctor from Kaiser is writing a note, and that's against Kaiser policy.
they dont like their staff going against their company policy.
when they have a letter that may be leagally binding, they have a prepared letter that they send out and its all the same.

if HPD is changing their policy, who's to say that when i go in next week for example, now the policy is changed again.

its like it changes like the tradewinds.  who really knows what to expect anymore.
I shit you not! that is my PCP. the one who told me I should take up hunting for my health. Yet, would not sign my letter. Emailed him to ask if kaisers allowing this and if he would sign off on me. Still waiting. Will cut and paste response here if I get one. Unbelievable. Right back where I started from and I'm out a boatload of cash that I cannot spare right now.

Q

« Reply #322 on: December 23, 2015, 05:47:27 PM »
I shit you not! that is my PCP. the one who told me I should take up hunting for my health. Yet, would not sign my letter. Emailed him to ask if kaisers allowing this and if he would sign off on me. Still waiting. Will cut and paste response here if I get one. Unbelievable. Right back where I started from and I'm out a boatload of cash that I cannot spare right now.

Did you try reaching out to national mainstream media?

GlockNewb

« Reply #323 on: December 23, 2015, 06:22:58 PM »
Going to apply for my handgun permit (again) tomorrow, gonna try to get Kaiser to issue me a letter this weekend, or at worst, get their documentation that prohibits them from issuing these letters.

I'm not sure which thread mentioned a "guinea pig", but I'm willing to try, only because I can't spare the money for a different doctor's evaluation anyway.
"Fast is slow, slow is smooth, smooth is fast."

Dumbgun

« Reply #324 on: December 23, 2015, 09:32:18 PM »
Received this new note from HPD the morning of 12/17/2015. Note the word changing from their previous request.
I informed my kaiser PCP who's name appears on this sample letter. This is is response to HPD violating DR/Patient confidentiality. Anybody have HOLCOMB's Email? Please email this info to him. I have the phone number, not the email address. Evidence that HPD is out of control and doing whatever they want.

Cut and pasted in its entirety from my Kaiser account.

Received:
12/23/2015  8:45 PM HST
Hello Mr.XXXXXXX,

Thank you for the information. I was shocked and dismayed to find out HPD is handing out a confidential letter I wrote for a patient on 12/02/2015. This letter was not even meant to allow a firearms permit to be obtained, and was only meant to inform HPD that the person requesting it had no evidence of mental illness (as HPD had requested to know). The following day (12/03/2015), Kaiser advised the doctors in our Waipio clinic that we would in no way be allowed to ever produce a letter that could lead to a person possibly obtaining a firearms permit. Little did I know that my letter, typed out the day before this announcement by Kaiser, would be used in the way I never intended, as well as released for all to see.
The person on whose behalf I wrote the letter, even with his identification 'blacked out', has stated formally to me that the release of my letter to the public is a breach of patient-doctor confidentiality, of which I am in agreement.

Sincerely,

Jonathan Shun MD

Dumbgun

« Reply #325 on: December 23, 2015, 09:37:52 PM »
[/quot

I personally emailed fox news two days ago. Have not heard anything yet. I even threw in info about the chief being investigated by the feds. No response yet. Will post here if I get one. Was watching fox today and they did a story about Virginia I believe denying reciprocity to out of state CCW owners. I was hoping they would mention our fight. Working on a letter to the City's corporation counsel.

WayneN

« Reply #326 on: December 23, 2015, 10:42:26 PM »
I informed my kaiser PCP who's name appears on this sample letter. This is is response to HPD violating DR/Patient confidentiality. Anybody have HOLCOMB's Email? Please email this info to him. I have the phone number, not the email address. Evidence that HPD is out of control and doing whatever they want.

Received:
Hello Mr.XXXXXXX,

Thank you for the information. I was shocked and dismayed to find out HPD is handing out a confidential letter I wrote for a patient on 12/02/2015. This letter was not even meant to allow a firearms permit to be obtained, and was only meant to inform HPD that the person requesting it had no evidence of mental illness (as HPD had requested to know). The following day (12/03/2015), Kaiser advised the doctors in our Waipio clinic that we would in no way be allowed to ever produce a letter that could lead to a person possibly obtaining a firearms permit. Little did I know that my letter, typed out the day before this announcement by Kaiser, would be used in the way I never intended, as well as released for all to see.
The person on whose behalf I wrote the letter, even with his identification 'blacked out', has stated formally to me that the release of my letter to the public is a breach of patient-doctor confidentiality, of which I am in agreement.

Sincerely,

Jonathan Shun MD

I was also given Dr. Shun's short form letter from HPD.  However, In my opinion if we all review the letter dated December 2, 2015.  Simply put, the letter simply states "no history of prior drug abuse, alcohol abuse, or mental illness".  If we examine our Kaiser Certificate of Insurance and Kaiser's Covered Services #18 (substance abuse), #19 (mental illness) #31 (Serious Mental Illness); diagnosis, evaluation and treatment.  So there is consistency.  Subsequently Kaiser retains our medical records of an Electronic Medical Records (EMR) system (Straub has same software package).   Then with our authorization (when we fill out the HPD permit application) a physician can review and release a medical clearance letter (if we pass).  Hence Dr. Suhn is not in violation of any patient-doctor confidentiality (HIPPA violation).  Working in healthcare for over 30+ years and required to be certified on the HIPPA law / violation training I would push back on Kaiser Regional implying that Dr. Suhn violated the HIPPA law since we (again) authorized release of our own medical records.  In addition, no where in the short form letter does it state "obtaining a firearms permit", again letter simply states "no history of prior drug abuse, alcohol abuse, or mental illness"...which I believe is same verbage used for medical clearances for certain job applications.  If we were follow the thought process for the aforementioned reply by Dr. Suhn / Kaiser Hawaii Regional should not be in any position to provide medical clearances...period.  Hence, the argument of using a medical clearance letter to "possibly obtaining a firearms permit" is rather weak and subjective.   I guess I don't "get it"...I presume I was not afforded the opportunity to attend a quality institution of higher education (i.e. Ivy League) so my attempt to utilize logic may be construed suspect(?). 

By the way, I have reached out to Mr. Holcomb and kept a detailed paper trail on my efforts to secure my gun permit / medical clearance letter.  Running parallel to this, I plan to file a complaint on the aforementioned Covered Services and not having an authorized review and medical clearance letter provided with Kaiser Regional and/or Corporate.  Running parallel to this all of this, I will be reaching out to Dr. that was recommended to review and provide medical clearance letter.  Good Luck to all in your endeavors and a "Merry Christmas!"....keep a Positive Attitude!

Q

« Reply #327 on: December 23, 2015, 11:05:52 PM »
[/quot

I personally emailed fox news two days ago. Have not heard anything yet. I even threw in info about the chief being investigated by the feds. No response yet. Will post here if I get one. Was watching fox today and they did a story about Virginia I believe denying reciprocity to out of state CCW owners. I was hoping they would mention our fight. Working on a letter to the City's corporation counsel.

try and contact infowars.

Usually if the story is big enough, Fox will pull material that infowars originally covered.

Aiea78

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Grab em by the handles
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: December 23, 2015, 11:28:54 PM »
news is going national via FB and spreading out now FWIW.
Assault Rifle? What I have here is an Anti-Assault Rifle.
Proud Member 2016 2a Day Dozen open holster carry crew yo

suka

« Reply #329 on: December 23, 2015, 11:48:52 PM »
I 2nd INFOWARS, Get this to a national level, and you'd see HPD head in the sand.

Its 6 month now on Pureta en banc with 2 more hearing scheduled  in Jan 16' on other issue.

HiCarry

« Reply #330 on: December 24, 2015, 10:19:24 AM »

Received:
Hello Mr.XXXXXXX,

Sincerely,

Jonathan Shun MD

His website has a message system: http://www.877duioahu.com/index.html

HiCarry

« Reply #331 on: December 24, 2015, 10:41:00 AM »

I don't believe HPD violated any HIPAA laws. HIPAA only pertains to "covered entities" and their business associates (BA). Covered entities are your healthcare providers and systems. BA are those non-covered entities (such as insurance companies) that work with covered entities and handle protected information (such as your medical records). Once you sign the release and the records are in the custody of HPD, those records are no longer covered under HIPAA. Which is one of many reasons I have a real problem with Kaiser sending over entire medical records rather than a summary or a letter stating no disqualifying conditions.

More information can be obtained here if you have any questions: http://www.hhs.gov/hipaa

dzine808

« Reply #332 on: December 24, 2015, 12:09:40 PM »
Yup, went to Security Equipment today to buy a G19 and was asked about my medical provider. Told them Kaiser and got a big "Uh-oh!" Long story short, I didn't purchase the pistol and called Kaiser. Apparently, they (Kaiser) CAN'T provide the necessary information to HPD for a mental evaluation. I can see a behavioral doctor at Kaiser, but they still won't sign. Kaiser pointing fingers at HPD and HPD is pointing fingers at Kaiser. But a friend of mine with HMSA bought his G19 just fine.....SIGHHH ...#byekaiser   :crazy:

GlockNewb

« Reply #333 on: December 24, 2015, 03:18:12 PM »
Yup, went to Security Equipment today to buy a G19 and was asked about my medical provider. Told them Kaiser and got a big "Uh-oh!" Long story short, I didn't purchase the pistol and called Kaiser. Apparently, they (Kaiser) CAN'T provide the necessary information to HPD for a mental evaluation. I can see a behavioral doctor at Kaiser, but they still won't sign. Kaiser pointing fingers at HPD and HPD is pointing fingers at Kaiser. But a friend of mine with HMSA bought his G19 just fine.....SIGHHH ...#byekaiser   :crazy:

You're kidding?...wow, this'll blow your mind then.  I went to apply for my Glock permit per outside advice I was given, full on expecting to receive a copy of the "we need you to go to Kaiser and get this signed" letter, and leading to my eventual permit denial.

TOTAL 180! They gave me all of the same paperwork I used to apply for my long gun permit back in October (the firearm info form, medical information waiver, etc.) INCLUDING the direct-from-Kaiser form asking them to release medical information (and I read the text on it) "for the purpose of obtaining a handgun". Yes, I was shocked. The bald-head officer who handed me my forms said he was shocked...from what he says, Kaiser is only concerned about people who have had past histories of mental issues that would prevent them from owning a firearm. My guess, since I had an active long gun permit dated October 2015, I was in the clear.

I'll report back when I go to pick up my permit and handgun first week of January. I'm staying cautiously optimistic...but I'm fully prepared for disappointment.

dzine808

« Reply #334 on: December 24, 2015, 04:00:26 PM »
LOL. Security Equipment seemed pessimistic about me getting any type of medical "determination " form from Kaiser. Told me straight , to go and see an outside Psychiatrist. Kaiser wouldn't even pay for my evaluation outside of Kaiser coverage. Crazy! So my G19 would cost about $1200 when its all said and done. Well...that's if they accept my psychiatric evaluation. Hahaha!

I hope you do get your permit though. Get back to me if you do. Maybe I'll chance it or maybe I'll end up back with HMSA since they'll sign pretty much anything

GlockNewb

« Reply #335 on: December 24, 2015, 04:17:44 PM »
LOL. Security Equipment seemed pessimistic about me getting any type of medical "determination " form from Kaiser. Told me straight , to go and see an outside Psychiatrist. Kaiser wouldn't even pay for my evaluation outside of Kaiser coverage. Crazy! So my G19 would cost about $1200 when its all said and done. Well...that's if they accept my psychiatric evaluation. Hahaha!

I hope you do get your permit though. Get back to me if you do. Maybe I'll chance it or maybe I'll end up back with HMSA since they'll sign pretty much anything

Oh yeah, I will definitely be keeping this forum up-to-date with my handgun acquisition journey. I'm a first-time gun owner, so hopefully my fresh-eyes experience will be educational for the community as a whole.

Side note: been with Kaiser since birth, but they have lost my business and I will promptly be switching to HMSA come next enrollment period.

stangzilla

« Reply #336 on: December 24, 2015, 04:45:54 PM »
Sounds like they went back to their former policy of red flagging you if you saw a psychologist at kaiser for any reason.

Funny thing is no kaiser doctor ever sees that form from hpd
It goes to a clerk in records department and they inform hpd if you saw a psychologist for any reason
Hpd then makes the call if you are red flagged or not
Again, no kaiser doctor ever sees that form from hpd

BLKDRGN

« Reply #337 on: December 24, 2015, 06:36:27 PM »
We were at the station today and one of the cops told us starting today, 12/24/2015, they do not require a Dr. note. Call them or go down to verify just in case.
Google it cause every question is a dumb question.

ren

« Reply #338 on: December 24, 2015, 07:01:37 PM »
We were at the station today and one of the cops told us starting today, 12/24/2015, they do not require a Dr. note. Call them or go down to verify just in case.

is this a trial period?  :shake: :rofl:
Deeds Not Words

Q

« Reply #339 on: December 25, 2015, 01:35:12 AM »

Starting today for everyone or just for the kaiser people?