• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sheepdog
  • Referrals: 17
    • View Profile
    • 2aHawaii
Hawaii Gun Ranges
« on: August 10, 2009, 02:01:10 PM »
This is a list of the ranges in Hawaii.  If you have information or links to more ranges, please feel free to post them.

Oahu
Koko Head Shooting Complex
Magnum Firearms
Puuloa Rifle and Pistol Club*
Royal Hawaiian Shooting Club
Schofield Rod and Gun Club Hawaii*
Waikiki Gun Shop and Indoor Range

Maui
Ukumehame Firing Range

*Not actual range, actually a gun club utilizing military ranges
« Last Edit: October 10, 2010, 01:42:45 PM by 2aHawaii »
I am not a lawyer.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." - United States Constitution Amendment 2 & Hawaii State Constitution Article 1 Section 17

Buying from Amazon? Click through here

mishka

Re: Hawaii Gun Ranges
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2010, 03:17:14 AM »
The Waikiki Gun Shop and Indoor Range closed recently to the public, not sure where it's headed.  Bummers!

Tom_G

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2010, 09:16:31 AM »
Technically, neither the Puuloa Rifle and Pistol Club, nor the Schofield Rod and Gun Club, are shooting ranges.  They are merely clubs that happen to utilize military-owned ranges with some regularity. 

The range at Pu'u'loa is owned by the Marines.  Relationships with the civilian shooting world vary depending on the current base commander, which rotates every 2 years, but they do tend to allow other organizations and events access.  LIFE sponsors an annual class there with Chuck Taylor and KOA Services runs their classes there.  Well, sponsored and ran... the current admin is not in favor of civvies with guns.  That'll change soon, tho.

The range on Schofield belongs to the Army.  Now, as far as I know, the only civilian access involves getting invited by a member of the R&GC, so the distinction may be academic.
The difference between theory and reality is that, in theory, there is no difference between theory and reality.

numbertwo

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2012, 01:51:02 PM »
Maaan I can't wait to see OGC and XRing on that list. Having to plan and drive out all the way to kokohead is a drag!  :wacko:

crazy cat

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2012, 04:52:49 PM »
Hawaii Island

The Kahuku Practical Pistol Shooters Club has a range in Glenwood (200yd maximum distance; rifles are welcome too).

Applications are available a Maebo's Noodle Factory on Tuesdays and Thursdays; ask for Will.

ren

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2012, 11:11:37 PM »
Technically, neither the Puuloa Rifle and Pistol Club, nor the Schofield Rod and Gun Club, are shooting ranges.  They are merely clubs that happen to utilize military-owned ranges with some regularity. 

The range at Pu'u'loa is owned by the Marines.  Relationships with the civilian shooting world vary depending on the current base commander, which rotates every 2 years, but they do tend to allow other organizations and events access.  LIFE sponsors an annual class there with Chuck Taylor and KOA Services runs their classes there.  Well, sponsored and ran... the current admin is not in favor of civvies with guns.  That'll change soon, tho.

The range on Schofield belongs to the Army.  Now, as far as I know, the only civilian access involves getting invited by a member of the R&GC, so the distinction may be academic.

Not exactly true. LIFE, Koa and Chuck Taylor (put together by Kaneohe Gun Shop) were profiting from the use of the Puuloa Range. I was there at the meeting with the G3. They were not happy with the courses being run by those organizations. Because of that they are not allowed to use the range. I am a member of the Puuloa Rifle and Pistol Club. We have to abide by the rules and regulations set forth by the Marine Corps. In fact, at the Chuck Taylor course, they used OUR highpower targets for use on their $400 classes. We did not give them permission to use them nor did we know what they were doing at the range. The president and some members were deployed at the time. What ever those organizations or people such as the owner of Kaneohe Gun Shop is saying about the Marines or PRPC is not true.
It is work to shoot at the range and maintain our relationship with the Marine Corps. We need to prepare annual reports, repair/build targets, order supplies and upkeep our little storage area. A few dedicated people volunteer to help with the maintenance, the running of the range and signing of the range. In addition, we need to have Marine certified ROs present at each practice or match we have. The certification process is online as well as about a 2 hour block of instruction at Kbay.
We don't own the range, but we do have monthly matches/practices that any gun enthusiast can shoot in. The range is not as comfy as Kokohead (no shade) but it goes out to 600 yards and for those qualified snipers with .gov issued SWS and ammo, to 1000 yards now.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 11:25:13 PM by ren »
Deeds Not Words

GZire

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2012, 08:31:01 PM »
..................They have a combat shoot once a month and open shoots on most Sundays.  They also have one of the best trap and skeet ranges which does a shoot on Wednesday nights.  It's one of the best kept secrets on the island.  If any one wants to join just check out the website.  If you need access to the base you just have to be part of the club to get the pass.  They meet at SR5 at least once a month so come on out and join.  They also are running a NRA pistol course for the folks who need a training affidavit to acquire.  I do not believe they are running the class for profit on the post and I heard it is cheaper than the other groups who are charging in excess of 50.00 for the course.

They also have bowling pins and targets which are available to use providing volunteers help to build more. They are also authorized to draw from the holster and top off magazines unlike the range at KHSC.

One of my buddies took us out there and it was awesome.  I am surprised they only had about 10 shooters on the range the day we went..................

Combat Shoots are still in their infancy and will still get better.  As an FYI - there is a 101 course - 3 parts (days) being implemented now to make sure that those participating are doing so safely.  Holster work for now may be restricted to the Combat Shoots only now................I haven't read the updated bylaws/SOPs so don't quote me on that.

Ren, thats good to know.  Now I understand were all those pictures of the folks from LIFE was training when I stopped by the Kaneohe Gun Shop. I recognized some of the participants from the LIFE Funshoot.  Great bunch of guys! The owner said they were doing training incoordination with the Marines.  I though it was a little odd, because one of the other organizations during last years Gun Show said they were profiting from the use of federal property. 

Along that lines I have a question.  If the SRGC was holding a basic NRA Pistol Safety Course and an NRA Pistol Instructors Course and charging a fee would that be considered as using the ranges on Schofeild Barracks for profit?
If you look at the cost charged vs. "outside" for profit enterprises, IMHO it's definitely not for profit.  Also the Instructors Course does not feature range time, it's all classroom type stuff.

bass monkey

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2012, 06:32:17 AM »
There's no such thing as overkill when it comes to safety bro, in any regards.

GZire

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2012, 09:10:11 AM »
Good deal.  Just a question, why does it take 3 days to train shooters on-safety.  I am all for being safe but don't you think three days is overkill?  Well, if it is in its infancy, that makes sense.  Sounds like only a select few are involved and their experience level may not be a lot.  Might need to check it out one of these days if I ever get around to signing up as a member of the club.

So, if there is no range time, how is the instructor conducting the pre-asssement phase of the class where the student has to place 10 shots at 25 yards in a target in order to qualify for the class?  Maybe its the instructors prerogative.  I'll just stop by Range Control and ask because of what happened with the good folks at Marine Corps Range.  I got the application for the club and will bring it by and see what they say during our lunch break.

Good stuff to know and we will keep you posted.

Combat 101 - It's not so much teaching guys about safety, it's about observing how the guys are working in the environment.  It's about getting the warm n fuzzy that people will not endanger themselves or others.  There are some that you know are experienced and know what they are doing and are safe.  It is up for discussion as to if those persons will need to go through the 3 days.  I will also say that if a guy goes through 3 days and is still unsafe, no way I'd be wanting to be at the range the same day they are there.

With regards to the Basic Pistol & Instructors..........the Instructor's course has no range time.  The Basic Pistol course has a requirement of "X" hours of range time.  That is, or was, conducted at the range.  And again if you look at the rates involved, IMHO no way it's "for profit."

GZire

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2012, 09:18:32 AM »
I agree high speed, but if you are taking three days to teach basic gun safety, something is not right.  To get your affidavit to acquire in this state is a one day course in safety and local laws.  Trust me I agree with you, but three days sounds like they are just trying to make it into a select group of shooters who would be allowed to participate in a shoot. That is what it looks like to me IMHO.

OK we have some failure to communicate here;

1.  Basic Pistol Course - This is per NRA requirements and meets the State of Hawaii requirements to obtain a pistol.  Last time it was held it was at the range as was the range portion of the class.  If you look at the standard rates out there for the same service (LIFE, OGC, etc.) you will come to the same determination as me that it's not for profit.
2. Instructors Course - Again look at the pricing, no way it's for profit.  Secondly this course does not require any range time.
3. Combat 101 - This has been going on for a while, but realistically is still in its infancy.  The requirement for new shooters to participate in the Combat Shoots is that they go through 101.  As stated above it's to assure others that the persons taking part are operating in a safe manner so as to not place themselves or others in danger. 

The SOP's (I believe) have been amended.  I'm not sure if holster work is allowed outside of the Combat Shoots anymore.  In any case if you attend the Combat Shoots you will see it's not a serious competition type deal, it's about trying to achieve a general increase in proficiency.  You can look at how some guys shoot the course of fire (such as bracing up on the side of barriers, reloading mags in the open, etc.) and see that some take it more as an IPSC type course.  In any case if that's how guys want to shoot things then it's fine, you get out of it what you want to...............heck scores aren't kept either.  Main thing is everyone is safe.

drck1000

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2012, 10:11:35 AM »
I'm one of those going through the Combat 101 now.  I shot at one Combat Shoot prior to the implementation of this program, but they asked everyone who wasn't already on their past shooting lists to attend.  I think it's a good idea.  Like Gzire said, it's about the organizers of the Combat Shoot and the other instructors and shooters being comfortable with how safe you are, your level of firearm handling skills, etc.  I think as long as you are safe and take things slow, you will be fine.  Firearms manipulations can be taught as long as you are safe.  The series of three Combat Shooting 101 is basically a chance for the event organizers to observe how you shoot, operate with your firearms and associated gear and for the instructors to evaluate while they teach.  While I felt that many of the material for the first day were very basic, I still picked up a number of things that will help me be a more proficient shooter.

Coincidentally I was at the Combat Shoot where the event organizers first thought to implement the 101 course.  It was due to some VERY green shooters showing up, not really being familiar with their own firearms, not the proper gear for the COF, etc.  Per the organizers, the Combat Shoot is intended for those who are already proficient in operating their own firearms in a static range setting and some of those people that showed up in that one shoot didn't even know how to really run their own firearms. 

drck1000

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2012, 12:44:12 PM »
Hey , thats a good run down. Everyone is safe.   I would like to sign up as a member, but I do not have a CAC card nor am I affiliated with the DOD.  Can any of the members from Hawaii 2A sign up to be a memeber?  Are you guys accepting applications? I heard some folks are being turned away wince they are not in the military.  Is that true?

They have a policy of I believe no more than 40% non DoD affiliate members at any given time.  I think they are called associate members.  The club just went through a membership renewal in the middle of July and I heard that there were many people who would have their membership lapse, thus possibly opening up more associate memberships.   I am not certain where there are with all of that.  Try contacting Ted Merrill through the contact info on the SRGC website. 

I know a guy from another gun forum that mentioned he was awaiting word back from the club on his application.  That was earlier this month and if I recall correctly, they were waiting to see how the membership renewal process shook out. 

Feel free to hit me up via PM if you have any futher questions.  I believe the club allows you to shoot once as a guest, but that's only on the rifle range. 

xxRENDOGxx

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2012, 03:36:14 PM »
howzit guys i have a question about kokohead range.

typically how long would it take to go through 20 rounds on the rifle range?

starting from "THE FIRING LINE IS NOW HOT. YOU MAY COMMENCE FIRE."

shoot your 5 rounds.

to "CEASE FIRE, CEASE FIRE"

to "FIRING LINE CLEAR. PROCEED DOWNRANGE AND FIX YOUR TARGETS"

and ending with "THE FIRING LINE IS NOW HOT. YOU MAY COMMENCE FIRE."

i'm thinking it would take at lease half an hour to go through one cycle, so i'm guessing 2 hours for 20 rounds?

my apologies for the noob questions, but i am a noob  :(

Inspector

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2012, 03:40:26 PM »
You are basically correct. On most days it would take about 2.5 hours to do what you asked.

However, depending on what day of the week/weekend you are there and if a match is taking place it could be a little different.
SCIENCE THAT CAN’T BE QUESTIONED IS PROPAGANDA!!!

xxRENDOGxx

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2012, 04:01:09 PM »
wow.

2.5 hours for 20 rounds.

adding that to the 2 hour commute (to and from the range) from the west side makes it an all day affair!

how's the experience at honolulu firearms & range (the old magnum's)? i know the ammo is very expensive ($27 for 20 rounds of 7.62x39) but i guess it compensates for the gas money and time spent at kokohead.

also rapid fire is allowed here? is this true?

WTF?Shane

« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2012, 04:19:03 PM »
how's the experience at honolulu firearms & range (the old magnum's)? i know the ammo is very expensive ($27 for 20 rounds of 7.62x39) but i guess it compensates for the gas money and time spent at kokohead.

also rapid fire is allowed here? is this true?

I went yesterday to test fire my handgun. Range fee + 2 boxes of 45ACP and 1 paper target was $87. Yes, rapid fire is allowed.

xxRENDOGxx

« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2012, 04:33:32 PM »
good lawd $87.

pick your poison i guess. time or money.

what time did you go? did you have to wait long for a lane? i know they only have 4 lanes.

macsak

« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2012, 04:56:21 PM »
are you trying to sight something in?
i would put 4-6 targets on your stand, and have a good spotting scope or even binoculars
that way you don't have to wait the whole cycle to check your target
i believe the cycles are 20 minutes or so of firing and 5 or so to change your target
someone will step in and correct me if i'm wrong :)

aloha

steve

shoot your 5 rounds.

i'm thinking it would take at lease half an hour to go through one cycle, so i'm guessing 2 hours for 20 rounds?

Inspector

« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2012, 05:00:21 PM »
This may not be good for your particular situation. For me, living in Kapolei, it also takes 45 mins to an hour to get to the range and sometimes more to get back. I have resided to the fact that going to the rifle range or the silhouette range is an all day affair. This includes lunch on the way home and cleaning guns after I get home. I bring what I need for at least 8 hours like water and snacks in a cooler. Also, I try to bring as many projects as I can so I can get as much done as possible. I plan and bring as many loads for testing and hardware to try. So I can shoot 5 rounds for one rifle and then switch rifles and test loads for the other. I come very early and stay to late morning/early afternoon as a rule. I had one unintended consequence to all of this. I have made a ton of new friends. I have made friends with people who are also good contacts for things that I need/want. And in return I do what I can do to help my friends/others. While the time I spent seems like a lot on the outside my time at the range seems to go by quite quickly and not boring at all. This may not be good for you but I found it is the only way that works for me so I can go to the range every weekend.
SCIENCE THAT CAN’T BE QUESTIONED IS PROPAGANDA!!!

hnl.flyboy

« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2012, 05:09:11 PM »

shoot your 5 rounds.

Are you breaking in a new barrel?
LEX MALLA, LEX NULLA

FPC, SAF Life, HDF Life, GOA, HRA, Fun Factory VIP