Love this Deprimer (Read 3970 times)

DesertRangerTycho

Love this Deprimer
« on: March 01, 2018, 06:14:55 PM »
Ok. So here's the deal. I bought a set of National Match Reloading dies and started to finally process the 6 years of brass I have been collecting. 30 casings in I found out I left a military casing in the lot and bent the deprimer rod into a a perfect u-shape. (Not kidding).

So I decided this sucked and bought a Frankford Arsenal Hand Deprimer. I love this thing. So easy to pop out spent primers from 308, 30-06, and 5.56. What do y'all use?

Inspector

Re: Love this Deprimer
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2018, 06:23:28 PM »
Ok. So here's the deal. I bought a set of National Match Reloading dies and started to finally process the 6 years of brass I have been collecting. 30 casings in I found out I left a military casing in the lot and bent the deprimer rod into a a perfect u-shape. (Not kidding).

So I decided this sucked and bought a Frankford Arsenal Hand Deprimer. I love this thing. So easy to pop out spent primers from 308, 30-06, and 5.56. What do y'all use?
I use the Lee Universal Decapping die. Strong enough for the toughest primers.
SCIENCE THAT CAN’T BE QUESTIONED IS PROPAGANDA!!!

DesertRangerTycho

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2018, 06:26:47 PM »
I use the Lee Universal Decapping die. Strong enough for the toughest primers.

Do you have any experience with depriming miltary brass?  I was having a huge problem trying to use the resizing die/deprimer to work the brass.  I realize I need to practice setting the die to the right depth (and avoid military brass) LOL.

macsak

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2018, 06:27:35 PM »

squirrel daddy hardened decapping pins from amazon

Inspector

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2018, 06:36:07 PM »
Do you have any experience with depriming miltary brass?  I was having a huge problem trying to use the resizing die/deprimer to work the brass.  I realize I need to practice setting the die to the right depth (and avoid military brass) LOL.
I have deprived 1,000's of military cases from 5.56 to 30'06. The recent 30'06 project was depriming 30'06 cases from as far back as the 40's. I got the cases for free because the person was having the same problem as you. The Lee Universal Decapping Die does not size and is capable of decapping any caliber case. It's designed to decap any casing. Plus Lee has the feature of protecting the pin from bending or breaking by allowing it to move upwards if the pressure becomes too great. Plus no lubing necessary.

https://leeprecision.com/decapping-die.html

rklapp

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2018, 07:14:49 PM »
The only time I bent the Lee depriming die was when I had melted filler in the bottom of the case. Haven't had any issue with crimped military cases.
Yahh! Freedom and justice shall always prevail over tyranny, Babysitter Girl!
https://ronsreloading.wordpress.com/

DesertRangerTycho

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2018, 07:19:21 PM »
I have deprived 1,000's of military cases from 5.56 to 30'06. The recent 30'06 project was depriming 30'06 cases from as far back as the 40's. I got the cases for free because the person was having the same problem as you. The Lee Universal Decapping Die does not size and is capable of decapping any caliber case. It's designed to decap any casing. Plus Lee has the feature of protecting the pin from bending or breaking by allowing it to move upwards if the pressure becomes too great. Plus no lubing necessary.

https://leeprecision.com/decapping-die.html

That is a sweet tool! 

Inspector

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2018, 07:42:08 PM »
Wasn't much of a post, but here is what I posted:

https://2ahawaii.com/index.php?topic=27228.msg239829#msg239829

It actually took me much longer to prep the cases than I expected. And after I was done I kept thinking to myself WHY DID I DO THIS? The guy who gave me the once fired cases said he gave up trying to deprime them. It was just something I felt like doing but truly, paying a buck a case would have been much simpler and saved me a few hours of my time.

I deprimed them. Put them through my ultrasonic cleaner. Lubed then sized them. Polished them in my tumbler. Ran them through my case gauge. Picked out the ones needing trimming. Set up my trimmer and trimmed about 70% of them. Chamfered inside and outside the neck. Swaged the primer pockets. Uniformed the primer pockets and cleaned the primer pockets if necessary. Bagged and tagged them and put them away for when I need them. I got about 120 rounds and threw away about 10 if I remember correctly. The ones I threw away had cracks.

A lot of the brass pieces were old match ammo and some were during the period when they still used corrosive primers.

Lihikai

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2018, 08:25:55 PM »
This tool is great for depriming while watching TV since you're not tied to the location of your reloading press.  If you have arthritis this tool is not for you.

justin1098

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2018, 10:22:46 PM »
I got the frankford tool from amazon after seeing it at cabelas in georgia. Had to do a couple of things to get it to work good.

First, the small collet wouldn't open enough for 223 to fit smoothly. it was clamped down in the tool in the packaging. I pinned it open and heated it up with a heat gun. It's good now.

The decapping pin was tapered and was so large at the base that it would jam in the primer hole occasionally. I took it out and chucked it in my drill and removed the taper with a file. No more stuck cases.

It's my favorite thing now.

dannyboy

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2019, 06:52:46 AM »
Forgive the necropost.

I have a Harvey Deprimer, it's definitely over engineered, simple sturdy and reliable. I've done a lot of .45, 5.56, .30-06 and other rounds with it.