good design for steel target for rifle range side? (Read 5214 times)

2ahavvaii

good design for steel target for rifle range side?
« on: April 11, 2018, 03:23:09 PM »
Thinking about constructing a frame for metal target for the rifle range side.  Is the best design a welded metal sawhorse style?  Or is it better to simply buy one off cabelas or something?  Or can I just go cheepy and use plastic PVC pipes and joints from home depot?

Went hunting on lanai the other week, and it made me realize the importance of being able to make accurate standing shots quickly.  Unless you're primarily setting up an ambush, there likely wont be enough time to utilize a bipod or even a shooting stick.  With steel targets, I'd be getting immediate "hit or no hit" confirmation.

oldfart

Re: good design for steel target for rifle range side?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2018, 04:07:45 PM »
Heavies made a nice one for me.
I used to see fabtek selling nice rigs at the gun show.
What, Me Worry?

2ahavvaii

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2018, 04:08:20 PM »

hmmm, fabtek a user on this forum?

macsak

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2018, 04:29:56 PM »
hmmm, fabtek a user on this forum?

his username is fabtek94
http://www.fabtekengineering.com/

stangzilla

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2018, 05:04:05 PM »
I made this with galvanized steel pipe from city mill.  they did the cutting and threading, then I put it together.
I also seen some on ebay

Heavies

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2018, 06:28:45 PM »
I've got mat'l to build 10 targets....  No time. Lol.   Maybe summer time. Fingers crossed

TubbsMcGee

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2018, 04:24:06 AM »
KMConcepts sells a pretty solid steel framed one with the steel plate for like $80.

2ahavvaii

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2018, 07:33:01 AM »
KMConcepts sells a pretty solid steel framed one with the steel plate for like $80.

Cool, hmmm, maybe i go this route.  Those guys are in my neck of the woods.  I try give em a call  :thumbsup:

I can make things, but way easier to just buy, especially since I dont have the materials already on hand.  Stangzilla design looks simple, but effective too

drck1000

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2018, 07:57:30 AM »
From what I've seen PVC gets chewed up super quick, unless you somehow are able to keep the supports behind the steel plate.  Even then, there are strays. . .

I've seen mostly designs similar Stangs.  My friend has a few that uses rebar instead of pipe.  His pops used to work construction and he's a shop guy, so can weld and stuff, so the materials and assembly is easy for him.  While I like the rebar supports, I don't think I'd be able to fashion the connections myself.  Probably would end up with just tie wire and the assembly falling apart in the first relay. . .

raudi

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2018, 10:55:53 AM »

I used one of these to make a frame.  :D

Gunguy808

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2018, 04:28:24 PM »
Just find the metal bed frame that people throw away it makes a great stand sturdy as heck the ones i have and have made are swiss cheeese and they still hold. The steel is super strong even if you shoot it

Fabtek94

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2018, 03:09:01 PM »
Yes sir, we are present at every show. A great opportunity to check out all of our target system on display.

his username is fabtek94
http://www.fabtekengineering.com/
Thanks Mac for providing that link to our website.

If your still in the market to purchase a target system, please visit OGC Tactical or Young Guns as they are our retailers.
If by some chance they are not able to assist you, please PM or email us and we will happily take care of you.

Mahalo

KMConcepts

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Firearms Accessories Training Simunitions
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
    • KMconcepts
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2018, 04:23:23 PM »
Cool, hmmm, maybe i go this route.  Those guys are in my neck of the woods.  I try give em a call  :thumbsup:

I can make things, but way easier to just buy, especially since I dont have the materials already on hand.  Stangzilla design looks simple, but effective too
If you have your own steel then we sell just the frame for $55, or $89 for a plug n play (frame,hardware,6" ar500 steel gong.  I think i may have one left.
600 Kapiolani Blvd #103
Honolulu, Hawaii 96813
(808) 235-6416
M,W 10-6pm, Tues 10-12pm, Fri 10-2pm, *Sat 10-2pm*
(*Closed During Class*)

rklapp

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2018, 07:48:50 PM »
I was just gonna say they have frames at KM.

This is what I use. The side wood of a frame doesn't last long but the 2x4 above lasts awhile. I used chain before but Len doesn't like the way it swung side to side so switched to the rubber straps I bought on Ebay. Some people just use two metal poles stuck in the frame holes and two chains connected to the steel. Something to consider is that the more complicated you make the connectors, the harder it is to take them apart after many hits. I've had to use a large pipe wrench at times.

Yahh! Freedom and justice shall always prevail over tyranny, Babysitter Girl!
https://ronsreloading.wordpress.com/

Heavies

« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2018, 08:04:05 PM »
Get the target away from the wood and the wood will last very well. And if you shoot the wood, it can be easily replaced.

London808

« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2018, 08:58:54 PM »
I have one from Fabtek that I use with my daughter to shoot 22s at. Works great. It’s the one where the regular target stand can go above.

If I was going to 100yds and wanted something bigger I would just build a regular frame and mount the plate with bike inter tubes. They will take a few hits to break. And can be repaired with nothing more then a pocket knife.

"Mr. Roberts is a bit of a fanatic, he has previously sued HPD about gun registration issues." : Major Richard Robinson 2016

Lightweight

« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2018, 04:00:58 PM »
+1 on using bedframes.  It was a pain to drill the holes, dulled a few drill bits.  Totally worth it in the end.  I angled the gong a bit down so the splatter deflects downward and supposedly extends the life of the gong.