Recommended Shops to Pin/Weld Muzzle Device (Read 2981 times)

MauKauKau

Recommended Shops to Pin/Weld Muzzle Device
« on: March 22, 2022, 03:31:12 PM »
Aloha,

Looking for suggestions on shops that do a quality job pinning and welding muzzle devices. I have a 14.5 build planned and do not have the equipment to do this myself. Not really interested in silver soldering.

Would love to hear any 1st hand experiences along with prices and photos if possible.

Thanks in advance for your help!

aaronc5362

Re: Recommended Shops to Pin/Weld Muzzle Device
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2022, 05:31:57 PM »
Maybe you can rent a mig or tig welder ? I know home depot rents out equipment but idk bout welders.  Go to your mechanic, he may have 1. Its rather simple. Then all you'll need afterwards is a dremel and spray paint or marker or gun blue.

Other than that, may I ask why you don't wanna silver solder it? You can salvage the muzzle device afterwards if ya ever decide to take it off

MauKauKau

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2022, 05:58:13 PM »
Thanks for the tips. I have seen prices online range from $30-60 to have a professional p/w. Heard from others locally it could be $50-$80. Depending on the cost, it may be cheaper to have a qualified shop do it locally vs renting the equipment and possibly bubba the barrel/muzzle device. Also happy to support small businesses here.

I have seen examples online and through others locally that the silver solder method can damage the finish on both the barrel and muzzle device. Also heating the barrel for an extended period of time to solder vs short term for welding seems to be a greater risk to the barrel. I don't have any proof of this, but it's a thought.

Appreciate the input!
« Last Edit: March 22, 2022, 08:21:03 PM by MauKauKau »

drck1000

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2022, 06:54:32 PM »
I’ve had Craig at RedLetter do a couple for me. Excellent work and cool guy to deal with.

badandy

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2022, 11:49:48 PM »
I’ve had Craig at RedLetter do a couple for me. Excellent work and cool guy to deal with.

Second this.  Just had one done this past week.  30 min turnaround for me.

aaronc5362

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2022, 04:09:26 AM »
Thanks for the tips. I have seen prices online range from $30-60 to have a professional p/w. Heard from others locally it could be $50-$80. Depending on the cost, it may be cheaper to have a qualified shop do it locally vs renting the equipment and possibly bubba the barrel/muzzle device. Also happy to support small businesses here.

I have seen examples online and through others locally that the silver solder method can damage the finish on both the barrel and muzzle device. Also heating the barrel for an extended period of time to solder vs short term for welding seems to be a greater risk to the barrel. I don't have any proof of this, but it's a thought.

Appreciate the input!

Raja sir.  :thumbsup:

drck1000

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2022, 07:28:22 AM »
Be careful of the silver (or other metal) solder method.  I've seen many fail regularly.  I mean not a big deal for functioning, but just something I noticed.

The pin for the weld is also quite "in there" if done correctly.  The weld doesn't go that far, at least not where I've seen. 

changemyoil66

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2022, 09:22:02 AM »
You get what you pay for.  If you look for the cheapest guy to do it, you may run into problems.  I've had  a friends break come off after firing a few rounds. His friend who "knows how to weld" did it for him for free.

Craig does good work, not only with the weld, but cerakote/gun candy as well.

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2022, 01:07:39 PM »
You get what you pay for.  If you look for the cheapest guy to do it, you may run into problems.  I've had  a friends break come off after firing a few rounds. His friend who "knows how to weld" did it for him for free.

Craig does good work, not only with the weld, but cerakote/gun candy as well.

Really?  Muzzle devices are threaded and screwed onto the end of the barrel.  Welded or not, I find it astonishing that a device could twist itself loose and fall off after only a few rounds.

Something not right there.
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

changemyoil66

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2022, 01:13:44 PM »
Really?  Muzzle devices are threaded and screwed onto the end of the barrel.  Welded or not, I find it astonishing that a device could twist itself loose and fall off after only a few rounds.

Something not right there.

I wasn't there, but was just told the story because he was looking for a professional to pin/weld his break on.  So I jokely told him, without that break, you now have a less than 16in operational barrel.  He dissembled the AR when he got home.

MauKauKau

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2022, 07:23:19 PM »
Second this.  Just had one done this past week.  30 min turnaround for me.

Thanks for the recommendation. I will give them a call tomorrow for a quote. Would you mind disclosing how much it cost and posting a photo of the work done?

drck1000

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2022, 06:52:55 AM »
Thanks for the recommendation. I will give them a call tomorrow for a quote. Would you mind disclosing how much it cost and posting a photo of the work done?
I'll try to take a pic tonight and post. 

drck1000

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2022, 04:59:07 PM »
Pinned and welded by Craig at RedLetter.

MauKauKau

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2022, 12:06:23 PM »
Thanks for posting. They did a nice job! Unfortunately havent been able to get in contact with them. The number listed doesnt accept voicemails. Tried messaging via Facebook messenger today. Hopefully they are still in business!

drck1000

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2022, 12:20:08 PM »
Thanks for posting. They did a nice job! Unfortunately havent been able to get in contact with them. The number listed doesnt accept voicemails. Tried messaging via Facebook messenger today. Hopefully they are still in business!
Believe he still is.  I just texted him.  I'll DM you when he replies. 

MauKauKau

« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2022, 12:58:23 PM »
Thanks for reaching out to him. I'll contact him for quote. Mahalo!

MauKauKau

« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2022, 01:20:15 PM »
Craig responded quickly w/ quote for his pin/weld service. I will be scheduling a time as soon as my barrel arrives in the mail.  Will post follow up w/ photos once all is done.

Thanks for all the help!

drck1000

« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2022, 01:32:48 PM »
Craig responded quickly w/ quote for his pin/weld service. I will be scheduling a time as soon as my barrel arrives in the mail.  Will post follow up w/ photos once all is done.

Thanks for all the help!
Outstanding!

Any details on your build you're willing to share?  The gun above is a Colt 14.5 carbine with FSP shaved down to fit under a BCM Keymod rail, and Precision Armament AFAB.  I didn't necessarily want the 14.5", but that's the upper configuration that was in stock when I needed the component.  This is now my favorite carbine to shoot overall.

MauKauKau

« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2022, 11:01:04 PM »
Sorry, I didnt respond sooner. Just got the barrel in today, but am still deciding which handguard and muzzle device to use.

Barrel is a 14.5 Spikes CHF midlength optimum profile.
https://www.spikestactical.com/collections/barrels/5-56-barrel-chf-midlength-14-5/

Muzzle device is tentatively a vg6 epsilon or delta since I have them on hand. Would get a dead air or surefire pinned if we could rock cans :(

Also entertaining a slim OD like this (kind of pricey for an A2) https://vtsupply-com.3dcartstores.com/VooDoo-Innovations-Manimal-Extended-Low-Profile-AR15-Flash-Hider_p_1459.html

For gas, I am contemplating a 2 piece clamp on block for the freedom to make changes if I don't end up using a slim muzzle device. I dont have experience with these types and they look chonky, but JP has some excellent quality products. https://www.jprifles.com/buy.php?item=JPGS-9D
« Last Edit: April 04, 2022, 11:08:45 PM by MauKauKau »

drck1000

« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2022, 07:57:11 AM »
Sorry, I didnt respond sooner. Just got the barrel in today, but am still deciding which handguard and muzzle device to use.

Barrel is a 14.5 Spikes CHF midlength optimum profile.
https://www.spikestactical.com/collections/barrels/5-56-barrel-chf-midlength-14-5/

Muzzle device is tentatively a vg6 epsilon or delta since I have them on hand. Would get a dead air or surefire pinned if we could rock cans :(

Also entertaining a slim OD like this (kind of pricey for an A2) https://vtsupply-com.3dcartstores.com/VooDoo-Innovations-Manimal-Extended-Low-Profile-AR15-Flash-Hider_p_1459.html

For gas, I am contemplating a 2 piece clamp on block for the freedom to make changes if I don't end up using a slim muzzle device. I dont have experience with these types and they look chonky, but JP has some excellent quality products. https://www.jprifles.com/buy.php?item=JPGS-9D
Nice!  I have a VG6 Epsilon on my AK project.  Yeah, if we could have cans here, I'd be broke. haha