Leaving Hawaii (Read 8933 times)

groveler

Re: Leaving Hawaii
« Reply #40 on: April 22, 2020, 10:49:48 AM »
There is a lot of research you can do on line.
Since I only consider homes with at least 5 acres of land that makes it easier.
By law I'm not allowed to live in a city.
Check all costs such as dump, utilities, property taxes, car tabs, insurances,
food prices at the nearest stores, Crimes and types of crime in the area,
Medical facilities, lawyers on speed dial, bugs, animals, weather history,
et al.
Those costs add up and will tell you what kind of place it is.
That will greatly narrow your search.
Some years back I looked into re-locating back to WA state,
but in another more rural part of the state. than where I lived before.
All things being equal the costs told me to stay where I am.
So here I stay.
My advice is be careful before you jump.  It always looks greener
until you land and live there.

Inspector

« Reply #41 on: April 22, 2020, 11:05:04 AM »
Sounds a lot like what Seattle has become.  Almost sad to see what some of what my friends post.  Well, now that I think back, one was an uber liberal before I knew what the hell that was.  I went to college with both her and her husband and even worked with her husband for almost 10 years after and he never thought like that.  At least when we were in college.  I remember that she got all mad at me one time because I got a good grade in a class where the professor stated up front that class participation weighs heavily on your grade.  Well, she was mad because I didn't say much in class but got an A and she spoke a lot and got a B.  Well, equal opportunity, not equal results.  I tried to explain to her that she was usually just arguing because she thought she was correct as opposed to looking at the situation logically and rationally.  Remind you of anyone? 

Not a whole lot in CA super appeals to me.  I mean I visited SD maybe 3-4 years ago and loved it when I visited, but that was a work trip and one of my college buddies was there and we were able to hang out.
I was born and raised in SoCal and I loved it growing up. I really was sad and disappointed when things started to change. That was in early to mid 2000’s and I lived in OC. Not the same place I grew up. As a matter of fact everyone was so angry. And when I spouted off about something conservative or pro 2A that anger turned toward me. Eventually, I was being made fun of by all my new liberal neighbors mostly because I was still driving my old 1992 Toyota Truck that rattled going down the street. They were all driving high end German and Italian cars and Hummers. It got to the point where I didn’t feel like I belonged in my own neighborhood anymore. While I could have easily dealt with that (I don’t care) the political environment coming from the state along with the gang influences was too much for me to handle. If CA were to ever turn red again, I would consider moving back.
SCIENCE THAT CAN’T BE QUESTIONED IS PROPAGANDA!!!

Inspector

« Reply #42 on: April 22, 2020, 11:05:34 AM »
et al.
So here I stay.
Good advice right there!  :thumbsup:

robtmc

« Reply #43 on: April 22, 2020, 12:08:45 PM »
So where are you looking to buy?
Never been there, so i am going by conjecture about areas.

Spent a lot of time hiking in the Sierras and love the pines and granite boulders.   Seems west Prescott and maybe southwest may have that.   Neat looking area up in the hills west of the town, but wife thinks that may be too isolated.   Brother and cousins live way south near Tucson but that is too desert hot for us to consider.

Had a co-worker move to Prescott about 20 years ago and he told me all about it at the time.  Seems in a recent contact that he is still pleased with it.   Reiterated how conservative it is there.

Inspector

« Reply #44 on: April 22, 2020, 02:55:25 PM »
Never been there, so i am going by conjecture about areas.

Spent a lot of time hiking in the Sierras and love the pines and granite boulders.   Seems west Prescott and maybe southwest may have that.   Neat looking area up in the hills west of the town, but wife thinks that may be too isolated.   Brother and cousins live way south near Tucson but that is too desert hot for us to consider.

Had a co-worker move to Prescott about 20 years ago and he told me all about it at the time.  Seems in a recent contact that he is still pleased with it.   Reiterated how conservative it is there.
I have not been here long enough to really determine anything. But so far the people who I have had some sort of contact with have been conservative. I can also say so far I have run into only very friendly people. There are a lot of retired and older people here. So much so that when stores like Costco open an hour early for seniors only that it is very crowded with seniors.

If you decide you want to contact a Real Estate Critter, let me know and I can recommend the guy we used.

robtmc

« Reply #45 on: April 22, 2020, 03:05:08 PM »

If you decide you want to contact a Real Estate Critter, let me know and I can recommend the guy we used.
Will do so. 

Wife does most of the phone work due to my destroyed hearing.

It helps that wife has at least one school time  friend wants to be there.   All my relatives are mainland as well, Oregon and Arizona.

Garuda

« Reply #46 on: April 23, 2020, 10:59:43 AM »
et al.
So here I stay.

Appreciate the advice. I’ve never lived on larger properties but friends have told me more than 5 acres is a pain.  Hoping to get something around there, 1-5 or slightly more. The agreement is we can’t be further than 30-40min from a major town per the wife.  :rofl:

Old Guy

« Reply #47 on: April 26, 2020, 07:25:56 PM »
Howdy,
We moved to Hill Country Texas several years ago.
Yes we miss the weather & local foods.
Settled in Fredericksburg, it is a high end tourist location for Texas.
We have 10+ acres, enough to legally shoot any firearm legal in Texas.
We are just outside city limits.  To offset property taxes we have cattle on ours which gets us a small tax exemption.
The people here are very nice & Welcomed us.
Everyone we know are gun owners.
Many women we know have permits to carry & do carry.
We are 90 minutes from Austin and San Antonio.
Next clostest town is 30 minutes drive. 
Down side is major medical facilities are in Austin or San Antonio.
Weather can dip below  freezing but last short while.
Home costs vary with area & acreage.
No place is perfect, but where we are is a lot better than where we were in Hawaii.
Our nearest neighbor is 200yds away.
No complaints about our shooting in back pasture.
Texas is a Very Big State.
Has a place for you, you just have to look for it.

Tom_G

« Reply #48 on: April 26, 2020, 08:25:30 PM »

Well, let's take a look at what you posted and what meaning it inferred.

Inferences are made by the listener/reader.
The difference between theory and reality is that, in theory, there is no difference between theory and reality.

RSN172

« Reply #49 on: April 27, 2020, 03:07:16 AM »
Appreciate the advice. I’ve never lived on larger properties but friends have told me more than 5 acres is a pain.  Hoping to get something around there, 1-5 or slightly more. The agreement is we can’t be further than 30-40min from a major town per the wife.  :rofl:
Having more than 5 acres is not a pain.  You don't have to maintain all of it.  I have only 3 acres, but what I did has clear and gravel a large area in front of the house for parking and whatever.  Keep a nice size lawn in the back and just left the rest natural except for cutting ATV trails to check on the rest of the property.  Trails and gravel areas are easily maintained with a 15 gal power sprayer mounted on the back of the ATV and herbicide.

Wchiro

« Reply #50 on: April 29, 2020, 05:58:39 PM »
Having more than 5 acres is not a pain.  You don't have to maintain all of it.  I have only 3 acres, but what I did has clear and gravel a large area in front of the house for parking and whatever.  Keep a nice size lawn in the back and just left the rest natural except for cutting ATV trails to check on the rest of the property.  Trails and gravel areas are easily maintained with a 15 gal power sprayer mounted on the back of the ATV and herbicide.

When talking to my brother in-law in WI about his 40 acre wooded property he said that when he thins out the property he calls a logging company and tells them what types of trees to remove or save and he receives a check when it's done (he does not keep any of the logs).

rklapp

« Reply #51 on: April 30, 2020, 10:46:37 AM »

When talking to my brother in-law in WI about his 40 acre wooded property he said that when he thins out the property he calls a logging company and tells them what types of trees to remove or save and he receives a check when it's done (he does not keep any of the logs).
My mom has done this twice. You have to watch them closely because they'll take trees they're not supposed to and leave a mess behind (unless you don't care).
Yahh! Freedom and justice shall always prevail over tyranny, Babysitter Girl!
https://ronsreloading.wordpress.com/

drck1000

« Reply #52 on: April 30, 2020, 10:55:46 AM »
My aunty has 10 acres in VA (maybe 30-45 mins outside DC).  She has horses and her neighbors have horses, cattle, etc.  I think most of those lots are meant for "hobby" level farms and lots of small vineyards.  I thought the property was gonna be HUGE, especially from the photos she would send.  But I was surprised that it wasn't as big as I thought when I finally visited.  I mean it's a lot of land, but I was thinking a lot more.  She has a natural spring and pond, so maybe that broke things up and made it seem smaller. 

She does do a lot of maintenance on her property though.  She's retired, so it's like her daily chores.  She also had friends who have specialized equipment that helps beyond her riding mower.  There seems to be lots of trees going down in high winds. 

changemyoil66

« Reply #53 on: April 30, 2020, 01:00:37 PM »
What's an acre?  Lifetime concrete jungle resident.

Rocky

« Reply #54 on: April 30, 2020, 02:17:27 PM »
About 40% of a hectare. Born in brick alleys.
“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
                                                           Franklin D. Roosevelt

groveler

« Reply #55 on: April 30, 2020, 02:21:05 PM »
A lot of work.
5 are even more.
Raised in SE Los Angeles county.
Ever heard of Compton?
I lived across the LA river( such as it is )
from it.
I'd never consider buying less than 5 acres anywhere.
4 acres for animals.
1 acre for garden, shop, and house.
Minimum.

« Last Edit: April 30, 2020, 02:27:36 PM by groveler »

RSN172

« Reply #56 on: April 30, 2020, 03:28:38 PM »
It is 1/3 the size of my 3 acre lot. LOL.
My lot is 266 ft x 491 ft. or 130,606 sq ft.  One acre is 43 560 sq ft.

Influence

« Reply #57 on: April 30, 2020, 07:13:37 PM »
Thought about it many times, but too many business related things here to step out. 

A 2a friendly state would be one of my main checklist items.  Wouldn’t mind purchasing property in one or more of the following though:

Nevada
Alaska
Arizona
Idaho
Montana
Wyoming
Texas
Florida

macsak

« Reply #58 on: April 30, 2020, 10:33:40 PM »
My aunty has 10 acres in VA (maybe 30-45 mins outside DC).  She has horses and her neighbors have horses, cattle, etc.  I think most of those lots are meant for "hobby" level farms and lots of small vineyards.  I thought the property was gonna be HUGE, especially from the photos she would send.  But I was surprised that it wasn't as big as I thought when I finally visited.  I mean it's a lot of land, but I was thinking a lot more.  She has a natural spring and pond, so maybe that broke things up and made it seem smaller. 

She does do a lot of maintenance on her property though.  She's retired, so it's like her daily chores.  She also had friends who have specialized equipment that helps beyond her riding mower.  There seems to be lots of trees going down in high winds.

TWSS

changemyoil66

« Reply #59 on: May 01, 2020, 08:44:30 AM »
Thought about it many times, but too many business related things here to step out. 

A 2a friendly state would be one of my main checklist items.  Wouldn’t mind purchasing property in one or more of the following though:

Nevada
Alaska
Arizona
Idaho
Montana
Wyoming
Texas
Florida

Nevada is a state to watch.  They did pass some not friendly 2a laws.  Like needing an FFL for ALL gun transfers.  This passed ballot vote a few years ago, but the last gov never signed it into law.  Then the DNC gov was elected and he signed it quickly.  They also have red flag if I'm not mistaken.  But other than that, no mag limits, shall issue CCW, permitless OC, SBR and NFA OK.  Even shooting tanerite OK.

Also because lots of CA residents moving into NV.  They're gonna vote the same probably.  Just like when HI people move there.  I got 3 friends in NV. 2 still vote blue. 1 changed to red.