.22 pistol (Read 4703 times)

bushmasta55

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • "Drop your weapons!" "Come and take them!"
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
.22 pistol
« on: May 05, 2012, 10:07:55 PM »
I need some help selecting a .22 pistol for my wife.   My wife and I just go completed the pistol safety class, now she is looking in buying a .22 pistol.  What is a good brand? Currently I'm looking at the Ruger MKIII, anyone got any input about this pistol and others.  Thanks guys!

SpeedTek

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • Car Nut, Machinist, Gunsmith & Monkey
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
    • X-Ring on the WWW
Re: .22 pistol
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2012, 10:10:45 PM »
Ruger MKIII is cool.
Walther P22 Target
Political Correctness is FOS
I collect M1 Carbines, PM me if youre selling!
& Bolt Action 308s also 10/22 Rugers.
Buying STOCK Ruger 10/22 parts and bits, PM me.
Now doing Vintage VW Parts!

808shooter

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2012, 11:24:37 PM »
Ruger mk3 is good but I would look at the SR22.  The thing has different size grips you can throw on.  I bet your wife would like that.

It will be my next 22 pistol

Tom_G

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2012, 08:08:55 AM »
Browning Buckmark.  Definitely worth a look.  I prefer them to the Rugers due to ease of disassembly.

The Beretta U-22 NEOS is also a fun gun. 

The question really becomes "what will she use the gun for?"  Depending on whether she is looking for a plinker, a target pistol, or a training tool, the strong choices are different. 
The difference between theory and reality is that, in theory, there is no difference between theory and reality.

raddoxx

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2012, 06:50:45 PM »
Ruger MKIII is my .22 pistol of choice.   This is a very good pistol, and other youtubers like it as well especially that dude 'nutnfancy'.  The only problem with this pistol is that its very difficult to disassemble and reassemble.  You need a rubber mallet and nail punch to break this pistol down (check youtube on how to do it).  My first time breaking this pistol down was very frustrating for me, but gets easier after the 2nd or third time.  ;)   Plus, customer service is great.  I had to return if for service, because I messed up trying to break it down the first time to clean.  Brass was getting stuck in the barrel, but wasn't the guns fault, user error.  :(   Ruger corrected it.   Now shoots great, and I have no problems breaking it down to clean.  Great pistol, very durable, and its worth the money.   :thumbsup: 

jc2721

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2012, 08:11:11 PM »
If it's going to be her pistol, then you need to go with whatever she like the best--not only which grip shape/style fits her, but also which one she can manipulate the easiest/best.  The Ruger MkIII is very good in this respect--those big "ears" at the back of the bolt make it easy to charge the pistol.  The slide serrations on some other pistols may be too small or slick for her to get a good grasp. 

Be sure she checks out the magazine and can load it--those buttons are hell on thumbs after a box or two of ammo.  I have some of those plastic magazine loaders and they work great but I never seem to have one with me when I need it!

hnl.flyboy

.22 pistol
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2012, 03:15:03 AM »
I'd have to second the Browning Buckmark. Whenever Daniel brought guns to the HRA fun shoots, that'd be my favorite gun to shoot.
LEX MALLA, LEX NULLA

FPC, SAF Life, HDF Life, GOA, HRA, Fun Factory VIP

Dblnaknak

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2012, 04:54:48 PM »
I bought my wife the ruger SR22. She loves it.

bushmasta55

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • "Drop your weapons!" "Come and take them!"
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2012, 09:07:36 PM »
Ruger SR22 looks great after the .22 shes looking int a 1911.... i think i created a moster guys!! lol

dirsh

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2012, 03:52:52 PM »
where'd you buy it from and how much was it?

thinking about getting one for the gf
or one of the others mentoned
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
╾━╤デ╦︻

jc2721

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2012, 03:56:43 PM »
where'd you buy it from and how much was it?

thinking about getting one for the gf
or one of the others mentoned

I just saw one at Security Equipment today--$351.00.  Quality of the metal finish was excellent.