Shelf Stable Bachelor Chow (Read 11862 times)

TeamSDSHawaii

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Support Safety!
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
    • Self Defense Solutions Hawaii
Re: Shelf Stable Bachelor Chow
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2012, 08:53:01 PM »
You can by canned beef online, like a stew meat or make your own pressure canned... (Never did)

Canned Salmon can be eaten straight from the can, baked, fried, caseroled, etc.

Canned sliced potatoes can be used for anything like stews or soups.

Cherries for snack, fruit intake, etc.

Spagetti Sauces, I just use with any type of pastas...

Dried Beans have to be soaked over night to use... instructions ojn the package

Dried potatoes make make mashed potatoes, fillers for other foods.

Flour... no mill, just use pre made.

Vinegars prep and cook meats, use to clean, etc.

2asupport

« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2012, 05:55:33 PM »
I love canned tuna but don't stockpile it for Armageddon....  The smell would be horrendous within a day without proper disposal.

I go to the Walmart for the clearance items.  Check dates on them.  Got a bunch of green beans, ravioli, corn, pork n beans, refried beans, caramel apples.....  Usually for around 50cents a can...  Buy about 5-10$ worth whenever I go, 3 times a month on average......   

kavawava

« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2012, 11:30:02 PM »
Is there a special section for "clearance" items on canned foods or is it sale?  I might have to keep an eye on walmart.

TeamSDSHawaii

• Support Safety!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2012, 10:44:30 PM »
Is there a special section for "clearance" items on canned foods or is it sale?  I might have to keep an eye on walmart.

Wally world or Long's sales... ftw! :thumbsup:

Jkeone808

« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2012, 01:43:35 AM »
Wally world or Long's sales... ftw! :thumbsup:

+1 their stuff gets really cheap every couple weeks or so.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
- George Washington

hvybarrels

« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2012, 11:48:16 AM »
problem with most shelf stable food is that it is filled with preservatives and is pretty toxic. okay if you're in an emergency situation but not good if you plan on rotating. also the human body requires fresh produce, so too long on the cans can compound a bad situation.

there are a couple things that you can do which are easy and also beneficial to your body. i have some chickens and the best part about them is whenever my cooking experiments take a horrible turn for the worse I give the scraps to them and they turn it into eggs. I always know what to do with eggs. Not everyone has space for birds, but in Honolulu every house is allowed two.

The other thing is sprouting on your windowsill. There are automatic sprouting containers that can work with minimum space and you can totally control the climate and inputs, so no worries about fallout rain. You have to use seeds that are made specifically for eating sprouts to avoid bacteria, but the results are really very healthy and it's possible to get started with only a jar.
“Wars happen when the government tells you who the enemy is. Revolutions happen when you figure it out for yourselves.”

TeamSDSHawaii

• Support Safety!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2012, 11:39:57 PM »
problem with most shelf stable food is that it is filled with preservatives and is pretty toxic. okay if you're in an emergency situation but not good if you plan on rotating. also the human body requires fresh produce, so too long on the cans can compound a bad situation.

there are a couple things that you can do which are easy and also beneficial to your body. i have some chickens and the best part about them is whenever my cooking experiments take a horrible turn for the worse I give the scraps to them and they turn it into eggs. I always know what to do with eggs. Not everyone has space for birds, but in Honolulu every house is allowed two.

The other thing is sprouting on your windowsill. There are automatic sprouting containers that can work with minimum space and you can totally control the climate and inputs, so no worries about fallout rain. You have to use seeds that are made specifically for eating sprouts to avoid bacteria, but the results are really very healthy and it's possible to get started with only a jar.

:thumbsup: Four laying hens on proprety... haven't bought store eggs in a while... ;D Exception being Easter.... hard to dye brown eggs.... (they come out camo colored, cool for me, not for the kiddies... lol)

I agree, canned/dry goods only last for so long... fresh and reproducing plants and trees are necessary for long term survival.... Not the greatest green thumb but have several... :thumbsup: