Replacing fiber optics rod in front sight for pistols (Read 2372 times)

Itsshowtime808

Replacing fiber optics rod in front sight for pistols
« on: April 01, 2019, 11:35:49 AM »
Aloha everybody,

Just was wond rung if anybody had and suggestions or advice to replacing just the front fiber optics rod for a pistol...?

It seems the front fiber optics for my CZ shadow 2 is coming out because of the foam holder in the bag I used to transport my handguns.  I was thinking of just glueing it in, but it actually got bent and now slides in and out easily...

Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated! :shaka:

Much Mahalos
 :geekdanc: :geekdanc: :geekdanc:
Gun Control
(noun)
1.Using both hands
2.Hitting your target every time
3.Buying one when you really want two, three, four, or five

Flapp_Jackson

Re: Replacing fiber optics rod in front sight for pistols
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2019, 11:57:38 AM »
Aloha everybody,

Just was wond rung if anybody had and suggestions or advice to replacing just the front fiber optics rod for a pistol...?

It seems the front fiber optics for my CZ shadow 2 is coming out because of the foam holder in the bag I used to transport my handguns.  I was thinking of just glueing it in, but it actually got bent and now slides in and out easily...

Much Mahalos

What brand and model sight?  Not all brands/models are the same.

Most manufacturers have instructions, or you can find videos and articles with tips on the sites that sell replacement parts.
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

drck1000

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2019, 12:10:08 PM »
This is what I do for all of the FO front sights that I own. Dawsons, 10-8, CZ, etc.

Heavies

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2019, 06:29:27 PM »
Aloha everybody,

Much Mahalos

Probably need to cut it, in the middle, with a razor blade.  Pull the old one out.  Stick the new one in and melt the ends with a lighter so they ball up and stay put.

I like to melt the end you look at, let it ball up, then while it's still pliable pull it into the recess on the front. ( not too much as to let it pull all the way through ) then trim the front with a razor blade maybe 1/16" to 1/8" then ball that up till its touching the front of the sight. ( you don't want too much material so that the balled up end is bigger than the sight blade ) 

If done right it shouldn't move at all, and last a long time.

Heavies

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2019, 06:31:09 PM »
This is what I do for all of the FO front sights that I own. Dawsons, 10-8, CZ, etc.

OOPs ..  :oops:  Yeah watch the video....  :rofl:

Itsshowtime808

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2019, 06:09:47 PM »
Hi guys,

Thanks for the info everybody! not sure what brand it is flapp_jackson but it’s factory from CZ, I’mma check.

Thanks for the video drck1000 it helped a lot, didn’t think that it’s as simple as using a lighter and thanks heavies for the follow up.

Much Mahalos guys!!  Glad to be a member here!!  :worship: :worship: :worship:

:geekdanc:

Gun Control
(noun)
1.Using both hands

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2019, 06:17:46 PM »
This is from CZ Firearms.

"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

drck1000

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2019, 07:33:49 AM »
Hi guys,

Thanks for the info everybody! not sure what brand it is flapp_jackson but it’s factory from CZ, I’mma check.

Thanks for the video drck1000 it helped a lot, didn’t think that it’s as simple as using a lighter and thanks heavies for the follow up.

Much Mahalos guys!!  Glad to be a member here!!  :worship: :worship: :worship:

:geekdanc:
For me, I've found that using a small candle helps as I like to keep on hand on the gun and the other on the fiber rod when doing the side facing you.  I'm a bit particular on that one and want to get it just right.  The side away from you, I'm less particular.  My gf likes candles, so have them around anyways.

Be aware of the solvents you use when cleaning your gun around the FO.  I've found that some either make the fiber rod cloudy or more brittle.  Not a big deal as the fiber rods are easy to change, but just something I noticed.  I usually buy extra fiber rods as when I do change, I often end up redoing them if they don't come out just right.  Now, my "problem" is that I have FO rods of different diameters for different sights and guns that I have a harder time keeping track of them.  Haha

Itsshowtime808

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2019, 09:49:21 PM »
The video looks so effortlessly done hehe

Is there any place locally you either of you recommend I check out for FO rods or just go eBay or amazon?

I always try to buy local before I go online.... :shaka:
Gun Control
(noun)
1.Using both hands