North Korea Could Soon Launch Attack on Hawaii (Read 163346 times)

punaperson

North Korea Could Soon Launch Attack on Hawaii
« on: March 08, 2017, 09:12:14 AM »
Good morning everyone!  :shaka:

http://freebeacon.com/national-security/north-korea-soon-launch-attack-hawaii/

Experts call for immediate upgrade in state's missile defenses

Excerpts:

North Korea could soon have the capacity to launch an attack on Hawaii that would devastate America's Pacific military bases, accelerating the need for the United States to upgrade missile defenses in the area.

The United States today relies on ground-based ballistic missile interceptors deployed in California and Alaska to protect Hawaii, but these defenses would do little to guard U.S. territory in the Pacific against a North Korean intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM), which officials believe is nearing completion.

Ariel Cohen, director of the Center for Energy, Natural Resources, and Geopolitics at the Institute for the Analysis of Global Security, told the Washington Free Beacon on Tuesday that the Defense Department needs to immediately upgrade the Aegis Ashore facility in Hawaii from experimental to operational to guard against North Korean aggression.

"Senior national security leaders have stated that the U.S. needs to work off the assumption that North Korea will have ICBM capabilities soon, and in this business ‘soon' could mean five to 10 years, or earlier," Cohen said.

"Our intelligence has been surprised again and again by technology developments by adversaries or attacks the U.S. didn't foresee," Cohen said. "Hawaii has a particularly symbolic history of this given the attacks on Pearl Harbor. Let's not be surprised this time, let's be prepared."

Inspector

Re: North Korea Could Soon Launch Attack on Hawaii
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2017, 11:12:51 AM »

Excerpts:

North Korea could soon have the capacity to launch an attack on Hawaii that would devastate America's Pacific military bases, accelerating the need for the United States to upgrade missile defenses in the area.

The United States today relies on ground-based ballistic missile interceptors deployed in California and Alaska to protect Hawaii, but these defenses would do little to guard U.S. territory in the Pacific against a North Korean intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM), which officials believe is nearing completion.

Ariel Cohen, director of the Center for Energy, Natural Resources, and Geopolitics at the Institute for the Analysis of Global Security, told the Washington Free Beacon on Tuesday that the Defense Department needs to immediately upgrade the Aegis Ashore facility in Hawaii from experimental to operational to guard against North Korean aggression.

"Senior national security leaders have stated that the U.S. needs to work off the assumption that North Korea will have ICBM capabilities soon, and in this business ‘soon' could mean five to 10 years, or earlier," Cohen said.

"Our intelligence has been surprised again and again by technology developments by adversaries or attacks the U.S. didn't foresee," Cohen said. "Hawaii has a particularly symbolic history of this given the attacks on Pearl Harbor. Let's not be surprised this time, let's be prepared."
Note that in this article they seem more concerned about devastating America's Pacific military bases and never mention keeping us citizens safe.
SCIENCE THAT CAN’T BE QUESTIONED IS PROPAGANDA!!!

omnigun

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2017, 11:23:54 AM »
Tiny north korea nuke not only would destroy like 10 blocks but it would probably miss us by miles. Not even scared

drck1000

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2017, 12:21:55 PM »

CENRGIAGS

Don't recognize that organization as participating in actual planning and construction of defense facilities in the Pacific region. . .

rklapp

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2017, 12:48:59 PM »
I agree with the 5 to 10 years. They're more likely to strike our bases in Japan first. They could reach the bases now if they launched from the east coast instead. Trump could be a War President soon enough.
Yahh! Freedom and justice shall always prevail over tyranny, Babysitter Girl!
https://ronsreloading.wordpress.com/

Kuleana

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2017, 08:18:06 PM »

Excerpts:

North Korea is not a military threat to the US in any shape or form.  If anything, this article above was published to monetarily benefit the military industry with the construction of over-budget inflated missile defense systems that may or may not work.

Not to mention, the addition of more military assets on any island will only further make Hawaii a top-five target should WWIII ever to happen.  Not a bright prospect for those living in Hawaii.

Bad idea.

Kuleana

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2017, 08:26:00 PM »
N. Korea likes to rattle its sabre so the US and others offer them humanitarian aid to stop.  The country will not seriously entertain such an attack.

I've spent much time in S. Korea.  They take the situation with the North very seriously.  They view NK as a real enemy and threat.

NK is a failed state.  Desperation can drive people to do some crazy things, but to actually attack ANY country would be suicide.

Posturing -- nothing more.
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

hvybarrels

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2017, 10:39:15 PM »
If they attack us we turn their country into a charred radioactive wasteland. If we attack them maybe they retaliate maybe they don't, but whatever administration is foolish enough to actually follow through on such a stupid idea would probably be facing a military coup in short order. Nobody wins. That's why they call it a deterrent.
“Wars happen when the government tells you who the enemy is. Revolutions happen when you figure it out for yourselves.”

drck1000

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2017, 08:24:40 AM »
Is North Korea something that is to be taken seriously as a threat?  Yes.  Via direct military action to Hawaii?  Personally, I don't think so, but I also don't have all of the info on that regard. 

What is always a consideration is the "small" squabble between little brothers and then the big brothers step in.  That said, that has always been a consideration from other regions of questionable stability, such as the middle east.  In the last 3-5 years, North Korea rose quickly on the defense radar.  Where they are going and what will happen, who knows.  Yes, there is deterrence, but there's also the possibility of group/groups acting beyond or without reason.  That's the scary thing with dealing with the middle east and North Korea.  They are wild cards.  Maybe they have limited capabilities, but they are certainly wild cards.  Does that warrant calls for upgrades of defense systems like in the article?  Nah.  That said, it's not like it isn't a concern. 

Inspector

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2017, 08:33:09 AM »
The fake news networks/papers like CNN and Washington Post are claiming that N. Korea is aiming for U.S. bases in Japan. Not sure if this is real or not. But the analogy about a squabble between brothers might be applicable here. They can strike at the U.S. via Japan. Or more to the point, they can threaten the U.S. via Japan. We have 57,000 troops over there. And whose to say that Japan won't want a preemptive strike? To me, these are more realistic scenarios. JMHO

punaperson

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2017, 08:53:04 AM »
"Deterrence" only plays a role when dealing with "rational actors". I have no idea how "rational" the leaders of North Korea or Iran really are or aren't. Difficult to determine how much of the "news" about the North Korean leader is real and how much is exaggeration or outright propaganda. Same with the Iranians.  But at least one of them professes belief in a religious ideology that makes martyrdom for the "cause" the highest possible form of religious service and human activity. I doubt we can rely on projecting what completely rational people would do in either case.

drck1000

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2017, 10:21:56 AM »
The fake news networks/papers like CNN and Washington Post are claiming that N. Korea is aiming for U.S. bases in Japan. Not sure if this is real or not. But the analogy about a squabble between brothers might be applicable here. They can strike at the U.S. via Japan. Or more to the point, they can threaten the U.S. via Japan. We have 57,000 troops over there. And whose to say that Japan won't want a preemptive strike? To me, these are more realistic scenarios. JMHO

US forces in Japan and Korea are definitely concerned about North Korea and China for that matter.  There are a LOT of troops in that region and you have to include Guam and other forward/training installations/posts. 

A while back, I recall something about armed clashing of NK and SK troops.  I think it was in 2015.  I thought someone died in one of the incidents, but I can't seem to find any articles that mentioned that now.  Anyways, I was like "oh shit, this stuff is the start of the next WWIII". Remember the movie War Games where at the end the computer was trying to figure out how to win the game of Global Thermonuclear War.  There were all sorts of scenarios of regional conflicts between smaller "nations" that explode.  That's sort of what I always thought would lead to WWIII. 

"Deterrence" only plays a role when dealing with "rational actors". I have no idea how "rational" the leaders of North Korea or Iran really are or aren't. Difficult to determine how much of the "news" about the North Korean leader is real and how much is exaggeration or outright propaganda. Same with the Iranians.  But at least one of them professes belief in a religious ideology that makes martyrdom for the "cause" the highest possible form of religious service and human activity. I doubt we can rely on projecting what completely rational people would do in either case.
Yup.  I used to work with a guy from Syria.  This was in the 1997-2004 timeframe, so 9/11 was right in the middle there.  We would numerous conversations about the middle east and such, but it basically turned out that you can't reason with someone who is unreasonable.  Or reason with someone who doesn't share the same sense of values, reason, etc as you.  If a group is raised with the belief that their whole purpose in life is to kill as many enemies as possible and that if their death that results in death of the enemy is the ultimate goal, then the average American is probably not going to be able to reason with a person like that.

robtmc

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2017, 11:28:57 AM »
If the NORKS do strike Japan, they had better keep it conventional.  They really do not want to find out how fast Japan can assemble some parts they have stored away for plausible deniability.

Inspector

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2017, 11:58:24 AM »
US forces in Japan and Korea are definitely concerned about North Korea and China for that matter.  There are a LOT of troops in that region and you have to include Guam and other forward/training installations/posts. 

A while back, I recall something about armed clashing of NK and SK troops.  I think it was in 2015.  I thought someone died in one of the incidents, but I can't seem to find any articles that mentioned that now.  Anyways, I was like "oh shit, this stuff is the start of the next WWIII". Remember the movie War Games where at the end the computer was trying to figure out how to win the game of Global Thermonuclear War.  There were all sorts of scenarios of regional conflicts between smaller "nations" that explode.  That's sort of what I always thought would lead to WWIII. 

Before N. Korea started acting stupid I always felt that WWIII was going to start in the middle east with Israel, Iran and Russia somehow involved. But now that N. Korea is trying to get our attention, I wouldn't doubt that if something were to happen it could be with them and China.

drck1000

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2017, 12:17:14 PM »
Before N. Korea started acting stupid I always felt that WWIII was going to start in the middle east with Israel, Iran and Russia somehow involved. But now that N. Korea is trying to get our attention, I wouldn't doubt that if something were to happen it could be with them and China.
Yeah.  Up until about 5 years ago, I thought it would start somewhere in the middle east.  No particular players, but I could definitely see it starting with Israel, Iran and Russia.  Even when Russia started the Crimea thing, I thought that was definitely potential for a LOT more.  Another area would be stuff like India and Pakistan.  All sorts of national, regional, whatever conflicts that go back thousands of years.  Sometimes I wonder if the groups really remember why they don't get along, that they've traditionally always been hostile to each other. 

Sometimes I used to view North Korea as the bastard stepchild that doesn't get any attention and are viewed as not an alpha, so they act out, threaten, beat their chest, all the while not really being in a position of strength.  I think that has been and is changing, but I still see them sort of in that light. 

Inspector

« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2017, 12:25:51 PM »
Yeah.  Up until about 5 years ago, I thought it would start somewhere in the middle east.  No particular players, but I could definitely see it starting with Israel, Iran and Russia.  Even when Russia started the Crimea thing, I thought that was definitely potential for a LOT more.  Another area would be stuff like India and Pakistan.  All sorts of national, regional, whatever conflicts that go back thousands of years.  Sometimes I wonder if the groups really remember why they don't get along, that they've traditionally always been hostile to each other. 

Sometimes I used to view North Korea as the bastard stepchild that doesn't get any attention and are viewed as not an alpha, so they act out, threaten, beat their chest, all the while not really being in a position of strength.  I think that has been and is changing, but I still see them sort of in that light.
Yup, time has a way of healing some and making others forget. Take your pick.

The only reason I am worried about N. Korea is because they are like a two year old throwing a temper tantrum with a loaded gun (Nuclear tipped missile) in their hand. It is hard to reason with a two year old. And when they thrash out irrationally.....

drck1000

« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2017, 12:37:07 PM »
Yup, time has a way of healing some and making others forget. Take your pick.

The only reason I am worried about N. Korea is because they are like a two year old throwing a temper tantrum with a loaded gun (Nuclear tipped missile) in their hand. It is hard to reason with a two year old. And when they thrash out irrationally.....
Yeah, I hear ya and I think so too. 

There are those that believe North Korea doesn't have the right stuff to start things let alone do any real harm.  Well, I think what they do have is capable of enough and who is to say they can't get something from someone who does have the right stuff. 

punaperson

« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2017, 12:41:49 PM »
Apparently at least some Japanese politicians are taking the threat very seriously, asking for Japan to develop "first strike" capability.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-northkorea-missiles-japan-idUSKBN16F0YE

As North Korea missile threat grows, Japan lawmakers argue for first strike options

Excerpt:

Rattled by North Korean military advances, influential Japanese lawmakers are pushing harder for Japan to develop the ability to strike preemptively at the missile facilities of its nuclear-armed neighbor.

Japan has so far avoided taking the controversial and costly step of acquiring bombers or weapons such as cruise missiles with enough range to strike other countries, relying instead on its U.S. ally to take the fight to its enemies.

But the growing threat posed by Pyongyang, including Monday's simultaneous launch of four rockets, is adding weight to an argument that aiming for the archer rather than his arrows is a more effective defense.

"If bombers attacked us or warships bombarded us, we would fire back. Striking a country lobbing missiles at us is no different," said Itsunori Onodera, a former defense minister who heads a ruling Liberal Democratic Party committee looking at how Japan can defend against the North Korean missile threat. "Technology has advanced and the nature of conflict has changed."

davgdavg

« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2017, 09:18:56 AM »
Apparently at least some Japanese politicians are taking the threat very seriously, asking for Japan to develop "first strike" capability.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-northkorea-missiles-japan-idUSKBN16F0YE

As North Korea missile threat grows, Japan lawmakers argue for first strike options

Excerpt:

Rattled by North Korean military advances, influential Japanese lawmakers are pushing harder for Japan to develop the ability to strike preemptively at the missile facilities of its nuclear-armed neighbor.

Japan has so far avoided taking the controversial and costly step of acquiring bombers or weapons such as cruise missiles with enough range to strike other countries, relying instead on its U.S. ally to take the fight to its enemies.

But the growing threat posed by Pyongyang, including Monday's simultaneous launch of four rockets, is adding weight to an argument that aiming for the archer rather than his arrows is a more effective defense.

"If bombers attacked us or warships bombarded us, we would fire back. Striking a country lobbing missiles at us is no different," said Itsunori Onodera, a former defense minister who heads a ruling Liberal Democratic Party committee looking at how Japan can defend against the North Korean missile threat. "Technology has advanced and the nature of conflict has changed."

Japan will never do this because it will give China a carte blanche to attack them and avenge the Japanese aggression/genocide that is still very recent in the minds of many Chinese.

rklapp

« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2017, 10:12:45 AM »
Nuclear retaliation is an option only if it's use is acceptable to the other nations who have or could have nuclear weapons. At this point, the NK neighbors would say good riddance if the US retaliates against Pyongyang with nukes in retaliation for the NK using nukes first. If the NK use conventional weapons only, then I could see shock-n-awe to be plausible against their capital city.
Yahh! Freedom and justice shall always prevail over tyranny, Babysitter Girl!
https://ronsreloading.wordpress.com/