Looking for University students to host NRA (Read 27383 times)

zippz

Looking for University students to host NRA
« on: May 23, 2017, 05:44:49 PM »
Looking for university students to help host the NRAILA University at their campus.  The NRA will send a team to do a 2 hour seminar about gun rights.  Need a student organization that is willing to host, or students that are willing to help out.  Sometimes conservative or political science groups will host.  Could be yourselves, spouses, sons and daughters, and friends.  UH campuses, private colleges, military campuses, etc.

I'll take em to the range to do some shooting too.

https://www.nraila.org/grassroots/nra-university/

Update 10/29/2017
HPU Student Veterans 2a seminar is on Tuesday November 7, 2017.  Open to the public so come on down.
Also in planning is the HPU/UH Manoa Student Vets Vintage Rifle Shoot at KHSC on the morning of November 18th.

« Last Edit: October 29, 2017, 09:55:54 PM by zippz »
Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

eyeeatingfish

Re: Looking for University students to host NRA
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2017, 01:39:05 PM »
Looking for university students to help host the NRAILA University at their campus.  The NRA will send a team to do a 2 hour seminar about gun rights.  Need a student organization that is willing to host, or students that are willing to help out.  Sometimes conservative or political science groups will host.  Could be yourselves, spouses, sons and daughters, and friends.  UH campuses, private colleges, military campuses, etc.

I'll take em to the range to do some shooting too.

https://www.nraila.org/grassroots/nra-university/

I believe there is a republican student organization but I don't know if it is still round.
Here is a link to student organizations. I searched for gun, republican, firearm, and conservative but couldn't find anything. There are a lot to skim through any maybe one would serve as the sponsor.
http://www.manoa.hawaii.edu/studentlife/studentorg/

Let me know, I would be willing to help out.

zippz

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2017, 02:31:44 PM »
Thanks for the links.  I'm going to inquire with a few that I think would host it:

Young Americans for Liberty
Student Veterans Organization
Debate and Forensics Society
Public Administration Student Organization
ROTC

Then there's these other ones:
Black Law Students Assoc
Lambda Law Student Assoc
Manoa Pre-Law Assoc
Native American Law Student Assoc
Daniel K. Inouye Leaders in Action
« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 02:44:05 PM by zippz »
Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

zippz

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2017, 12:05:17 PM »
I talked to the contact at NRAHQ to bring a speaker to Hawaii.  They said it could possibly be done and they'll need a lot of lead time.  The deciding factor is going to be how many students and groups I can get together to justify the extra travel costs.  I'm going to target the last week of September so we can tie it into the gun show, and get support from the other colleges on Oahu and maybe the Friends of the NRA kids.

eyeeatingfish

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2017, 07:34:19 PM »
I talked to the contact at NRAHQ to bring a speaker to Hawaii.  They said it could possibly be done and they'll need a lot of lead time.  The deciding factor is going to be how many students and groups I can get together to justify the extra travel costs.  I'm going to target the last week of September so we can tie it into the gun show, and get support from the other colleges on Oahu and maybe the Friends of the NRA kids.

Let me know how I can help.

I would certainly be interested in attending.

zippz

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2017, 03:22:07 PM »
I'm still looking for college students, staff, or people active on campus. 

I received a box of stuff from NRA Univ with a lot of giveaway items and information.  The NRA is looking for students to promote the 2a by networking with other campus organizations, seminars, gun rights tables, and other activities.  NRA has grants and resources to help with these.

My plan is to get several campus organizations to participate, have a campus presence for constitution week Sep 17-23, have seminars at the colleges end of September and at the gun show, and a range day for the students.

eyeeatingfish

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2017, 12:53:57 PM »
I'm still looking for college students, staff, or people active on campus. 

I received a box of stuff from NRA Univ with a lot of giveaway items and information.  The NRA is looking for students to promote the 2a by networking with other campus organizations, seminars, gun rights tables, and other activities.  NRA has grants and resources to help with these.

My plan is to get several campus organizations to participate, have a campus presence for constitution week Sep 17-23, have seminars at the colleges end of September and at the gun show, and a range day for the students.

Maybe try looking at any firearm/hunting/shooting related Facebook pages and post a request for a willing student sponsor?

zippz

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2017, 04:22:24 PM »
Bump.  Still looking for volunteers

eyeeatingfish

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2017, 05:11:17 PM »
Does it have to be someone from the university of Hawaii or can it be someone from one to the community colleges as well?

zippz

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2017, 05:55:28 PM »
Does it have to be someone from the university of Hawaii or can it be someone from one to the community colleges as well?

Can be any college, even those on the military campus.

Trying to get the numbers to justify the expense of flying someone over here.  I have a couple of student veterans groups that may be interested.  If I'm not able to get enough estimated turnout this month, then I'll try again for the gun show in the spring.  Or the Friends of the NRA event in November.

Tom_G

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2017, 02:04:29 AM »
Targeting the last week of September is probably pushing things, given that it's the end of August when colleges begin classes. I'm happy to do what I can to help you interface with student groups, but I promise you, the groups won't even have defined themselves before the gun show.
The difference between theory and reality is that, in theory, there is no difference between theory and reality.

zippz

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2017, 10:25:40 AM »
Targeting the last week of September is probably pushing things, given that it's the end of August when colleges begin classes. I'm happy to do what I can to help you interface with student groups, but I promise you, the groups won't even have defined themselves before the gun show.

Thanks for helping out.

September was a long shot, but the best time to do it gunwise since the stars were aligned with the Hunting Fishing day, Gun Show, and next year's legislative session lined up  I was attempting to do NRA University for the college students and a seminar for gun owners to help with next year's testimonies.  Student wise it would be difficult this early.  Problem with having it with next year's gun show is midterms and the legislative session is half-way done.

I don't think I'll be able to get enough college turnout to justify the expenses so I have to do it in conjunction with something else like the gun show.  Maybe I can do it with the Friends of the NRA event in November.

Bota-CS1

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2017, 10:52:30 PM »
UH is a commuter school at heart which presents a ton of challenges.  Students at commuter schools tend not to stay on campus any longer than they have to, once they're done with their classes its off to a required internship, part time job, or the long commute home stuck in traffic.  You'll probably not get as much attention on campus with a table and flyers or have as much success.  If your target audience is 20 to 30 somethings then you'll have to get them on their mobile devices which means Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, etc.  In Macsak's case, Tinder.  He's on there, check him out.   :love: :rofl:++
No one is coming, it’s up to us.

Legislation should never be about depriving law abiding citizens of something, but rather taking those things away from criminals.

zippz

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2017, 11:42:29 PM »
UH is a commuter school at heart which presents a ton of challenges.  Students at commuter schools tend not to stay on campus any longer than they have to, once they're done with their classes its off to a required internship, part time job, or the long commute home stuck in traffic.  You'll probably not get as much attention on campus with a table and flyers or have as much success.  If your target audience is 20 to 30 somethings then you'll have to get them on their mobile devices which means Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, etc.  In Macsak's case, Tinder.  He's on there, check him out.   :love: :rofl:++

I'm finding it a challenge for the reasons you mentioned, along with low participation in the clubs here especially conservative sided ones.

zippz

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2017, 11:49:58 PM »
Update....

It's been challenging like Tom_G stated, organizations aren't running this early in the school year.  So far I received a commitment from the student vets at HPU and Young Americans for Liberty at UH Manoa, along with a maybe from the student vets at UH Manoa.  I'm going to focus on those two campuses and invite other groups and other campuses to join in.

My plan is to ask the guest speaker, usually the NRA President or other officer,  for the FNRA Banquet to go to the two campuses for Veterans Day weekend.  It's a nice touch in that the NRA was formed by military officers and helped to develop military firearms training.

Then next year hopefully get everyone on board for the actual NRA University to come down in March and also hold seminars at the Gun Show.

Crossing my fingers.

eyeeatingfish

« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2017, 05:15:21 PM »
Update....

It's been challenging like Tom_G stated, organizations aren't running this early in the school year.  So far I received a commitment from the student vets at HPU and Young Americans for Liberty at UH Manoa, along with a maybe from the student vets at UH Manoa.  I'm going to focus on those two campuses and invite other groups and other campuses to join in.

My plan is to ask the guest speaker, usually the NRA President or other officer,  for the FNRA Banquet to go to the two campuses for Veterans Day weekend.  It's a nice touch in that the NRA was formed by military officers and helped to develop military firearms training.

Then next year hopefully get everyone on board for the actual NRA University to come down in March and also hold seminars at the Gun Show.

Crossing my fingers.

What more do you need? Numbers? Money?

I was thinking that you could look for sponsors at the upcoming gun show.

ren

« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2017, 06:55:39 PM »
I suggest Ben Shapiro or Milo
Deeds Not Words

Tom_G

« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2017, 12:21:25 AM »
Update....

Crossing my fingers.

You need to understand the scheduling a university club operates under.
1st week of classes - Clubfest. A chance to recruit members.
2nd week of classes - paperwork is due. Your annual budget, constitution, and officer list are submitted for review and approval.
That's it. Anything you're trying to get off the ground after week two of classes is doomed to failure; there can be no funding from the university. Anything you try to get up and running before week two is doomed; there is no club.

If this is something that needs funding (such as flying in a speaker), you have two options. One is to fundraise (always a dicey proposition at best). The other is to start planning now for the 2018-2019 school year. If you can get an established club now to put it in their budget for next academic year, then you've got a chance.
The difference between theory and reality is that, in theory, there is no difference between theory and reality.

drck1000

« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2017, 07:53:40 AM »
Regarding military university, there are a number of university/college/institutions that have mini-campuses (some basically an office with maybe a couple of classrooms) on base.  I was in training the other week and some of them have a LONG list if course offerings.  Almost like a mini community college.  I thought I recall that you have base access and have pursued education through GI bill.  Maybe you can get contacts with those groups.  I know of at least one complex that hosts at least 10 different institutions. 

zippz

« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2017, 09:55:15 PM »
What more do you need? Numbers? Money?

I was thinking that you could look for sponsors at the upcoming gun show.

Not looking for money, just need to make contact with the student groups.  UHM Student Vets is kinda iffy, could use help in pushing them towards this.

NRA would fund the trip for their speaker and purchase the refreshments, giveaways, and other stuff.  HRA can help out with some small stuff.

Milo and Shapiro would be great to have for other occasions, but not really for this purpose.  They're conservative so it would push away the liberal and libertarian students, I'm trying to get everyone involved.  And I want to avoid the riots.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 10:02:12 PM by zippz »