24th Annual Shooting Sports Fair (June 17 & 18 at KHSC) (Read 9289 times)

drck1000

24th Annual Shooting Sports Fair (June 17 & 18 at KHSC)
« on: May 30, 2017, 08:35:13 AM »
The annual Shooting Sports Fair is coming up in a few weeks.  I know many of you regularly volunteer or have in the past.  For those who would like to volunteer or are thinking about it, it's a really fun event and a great opportunity to share our interest/passion/obsession with firearms with the public.  It's Father's Day weekend and it's really rewarding to see families enjoying the shooting sports on Father's Day. 

There's plenty of opportunity to volunteer and get involved.  Always need more people to get involved.  I've found that in addition to sharing my passion for firearms with the public, you get to meet other firearms enthusiasts as well as get to know some of them better.  I've volunteered for the past 5-6 years and each year has been awesome!

http://hawaiirifleassociation.org/2017/03/04/2017-shooting-sports-fair/

changemyoil66

Re: 24th Annual Shooting Sports Fair (June 17 & 18 at KHSC)
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2017, 10:43:40 AM »
Are volunteers allowed to carry?

drck1000

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2017, 10:50:47 AM »
I've have to refer you to one of the HRA directors to get an answer.  I'll shoot you a PM. 

Rocky

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2017, 01:01:32 PM »
Are you a certified NRA Instructor or equivalent ?
“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
                                                           Franklin D. Roosevelt

changemyoil66

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2017, 01:23:40 PM »
Are you a certified NRA Instructor or equivalent ?

No

zippz

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2017, 02:20:30 PM »

That is an interesting idea to look into for anyone attending the fair in the future.  It would be a good statement that people can be responsible with guns and give others the chance learn about having firearms for self defense.  Lots of safety considerations,  especially as most people aren't used to carrying.. 
Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

drck1000

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2017, 02:45:18 PM »
That is an interesting idea to look into for anyone attending the fair in the future.  It would be a good statement that people can be responsible with guns and give others the chance learn about having firearms for self defense.  Lots of safety considerations,  especially as most people aren't used to carrying..
Allowing carrying for anyone showing up at the SSF?  Again, I would have to defer to the HRA board and other event organizers, but personally I would say absolutely not.  Having volunteered for the past 5 or so SSF and having served as RSO a couple of times, there's just too many people there for participants to be carrying firearms, let alone bring their own ammo.  Just like any other group that sets up events at KKSC, there needs to be rules for the event and no personal firearms or live ammunition is a huge safety rule of SSF.  Can't even get some people to agree to follow the rule of eye and ear protection. 

zippz

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2017, 03:43:29 PM »
There are a lot of ways to help out for the fair.

Sunday June 11th is a clean up day...cut grass, prep equipment, pickup trash, etc.
Friday evening, June 16th is the setup.
Sat & Sun June 17-18th need people to setup, NRA instructors to help with shooting, cleanup, administrative stuff, and gun cleaning.  Don't have to stay all day, there are shifts.

I'll be helping out on the June 16, and 18th.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 04:02:01 PM by zippz »
Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

Rocky

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2017, 03:49:29 PM »

I always knew you had a sense of humor.  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Interesting alright.
 :popcorn:

See another "interesting Idea" below.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 04:34:12 PM by Rocky »
                                                           Franklin D. Roosevelt

oldfart

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2017, 04:13:02 PM »
As far as I know, the policy has always been NO personal firearms at the venues.
Volunteers are briefed to watch for people who might have a personal firearm.
What, Me Worry?

dustoff003

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2017, 04:13:42 PM »
There are a lot of ways to help out for the fair.

Sunday June 11th is a clean up day...cut grass, prep equipment, pickup trash, etc.
Friday evening, June 16th is the setup.
Sat & Sun June 17-18th need people to setup, NRA instructors to help with shooting, cleanup, administrative stuff, and gun cleaning.  Don't have to stay all day, there are shifts.

I'll be helping out on the June 16, and 18th.

Could you put me in touch with a POC for volunteer staffing please? I can do either Saturday or Sunday just not both so whichever day has the least amount of folks I will do just don't know which day that is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rocky

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2017, 04:32:42 PM »
Could you put me in touch with a POC for volunteer staffing please? I can do either Saturday or Sunday just not both so whichever day has the least amount of folks I will do just don't know which day that is.

http://hawaiirifleassociation.org/contact-us/
Attention: Kerri    re: SSF volunteer
                                                           Franklin D. Roosevelt

jerry_03

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2017, 07:11:59 PM »
anyone knows how old kids have to be to be able to shoot the archery or airsoft or BB/Pellet guns or .22s?

drck1000

24th Annual Shooting Sports Fair (June 17 & 18 at KHSC)
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2017, 07:33:06 PM »
anyone knows how old kids have to be to be able to shoot the archery or airsoft or BB/Pellet guns or .22s?

It's been a while since I did the 22 table side, but the BB and pellet guns were more accommodating in terms of age range. Not sure what the minimum was though.

drck1000

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2017, 06:21:49 PM »
Fair is this weekend. There's also volunteer opportunities this Friday at 4:30 pm for event set up as well as after the event Sunday afternoon and evening.

zippz

« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2017, 05:14:48 PM »
Setting up for this weekend.

zippz

« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2017, 08:24:29 AM »
All ready for another day of shooting fun for the community.   All proceeded go to the Friends of the NRA and other 2a friendly organizations.

556fun

« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2017, 04:02:02 PM »
From the looks of today this year's event was a huge hit!

dustoff003

« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2017, 07:44:56 PM »
Some photos from this morning

ren

« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2017, 09:49:32 PM »
so that was the source of the rabid fire
Deeds Not Words