Hawaii emergency whats everyone to have 14 days of emergency supplies (Read 9824 times)

Inspector

Re: Hawaii emergency whats everyone to have 14 days of emergency supplies
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2017, 09:35:35 AM »
Yeah.  I got all of that.  I just somewhat blanked and envisioned him having it in there always. 

And no coffee excuse this morning.  Well, I actually didn't have any, but wasn't planning on it.
The thing is you don't have much time when it comes to having to go to the grocery store to buy food or to other stores to buy supplies when you don't have enough. The first time I was on island when the storm warning hit I made a bee line over to the grocery store and by the time I got there most of the canned food was gone.

Last time I went to Costco right after a storm warning a few days ahead of when I went showed me that Costco was out of generators, water, toilet paper, batteries, lanterns, flashlights, canned food, etc. I didn't go for supplies rather I went there for just my weekly shopping venture. But it was terrible having to fight my way in and out of there. People were nuts!!!
SCIENCE THAT CAN’T BE QUESTIONED IS PROPAGANDA!!!

drck1000

« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2017, 09:39:52 AM »
The thing is you don't have much time when it comes to having to go to the grocery store to buy food or to other stores to buy supplies when you don't have enough. The first time I was on island when the storm warning hit I made a bee line over to the grocery store and by the time I got there most of the canned food was gone.

Last time I went to Costco right after a storm warning a few days ahead of when I went showed me that Costco was out of generators, water, toilet paper, batteries, lanterns, flashlights, canned food, etc. I didn't go for supplies rather I went there for just my weekly shopping venture. But it was terrible having to fight my way in and out of there. People were nuts!!!

Yeah.  I'm OK on all of that.  I buy canned food here and there.  Always have a good amount of TP and batteries.  Every time the storm warning hits, I usually just pick up some minor things, but don't really HAVE to.  I hate crowds and I hate lines, so. . .

islandgunzx

« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2017, 03:19:41 PM »
My plan is learn how to can foods, store water in glassware, learn how to filter our water catchment at our house, batteries, tools, weapons, ammo, gas, medical supplies and Twinkies haha 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RSN172

« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2017, 09:15:33 AM »
I, like most people on the Big Island, have a 10k water catchment tank.  You do need electricity to run the water pump to get the water from the tank, through 2 filters and the UV light and pressurize the water pipes in the house.  I also have 2 refrigerators and a freezer so I always have lots of food and can goods on hand.  The most important thing for me is to always have at least 4 out of the 10 propane tanks full and at least 25 gals of gas on hand.  I have 2 generators because if power goes out, I am screwed without electricity.  I have the water pump and refrigerator/freezer outlets set up to easily switch over to generator power.

After Iselle hit the BI a couple,of years ago, we were without power for 9 days.

Inspector

« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2017, 09:35:37 AM »
I, like most people on the Big Island, have a 10k water catchment tank.  You do need electricity to run the water pump to get the water from the tank, through 2 filters and the UV light and pressurize the water pipes in the house.  I also have 2 refrigerators and a freezer so I always have lots of food and can goods on hand.  The most important thing for me is to always have at least 4 out of the 10 propane tanks full and at least 25 gals of gas on hand.  I have 2 generators because if power goes out, I am screwed without electricity.  I have the water pump and refrigerator/freezer outlets set up to easily switch over to generator power.

After Iselle hit the BI a couple,of years ago, we were without power for 9 days.
If and when I get to move back to my place on the BI I intend to set things up for generator backup. I really want to install enough solar with batteries to be self sufficient. But I am not sure I can afford that at this time. But like you said, with a catchment system, you need electricity for water. I have a friend living over there that has this awesome diesel generator set up in his out building. It has enough power for not only his house but probably one or two more.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
SCIENCE THAT CAN’T BE QUESTIONED IS PROPAGANDA!!!

Rocky

« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2017, 10:05:58 AM »
I often wonder about complacency.  With stuff like this, tsunami, etc.  So many warnings and then nothing or minor.  People are going to start to ignore and go about their lives.  I know I have to a certain extent and have to get back into rotating my food stock and backfilling.  Especially water storage. 

That said, with family members who need regular treatments, I also have other worries.  Personally, I don't have any daily prescriptions, so I'm pretty low maintenance in that regard.
We always keep an extra months worth in our go bags.  :thumbsup:

For you BI guys, ever think about elevating your H2O holding tanks. Solar DC pump from lower to upper and gravity feed.
Fair water pressure depending on tank elevation.

Luckily (sarcsm) we in Laie are on the "new and improved" low pressure sewage pump sytsem.
Fortunately I have a 240 set up for my genny but not sure how it will pump into main line after awhile.  :shake: :shake: :shake:
« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 10:17:37 AM by Rocky »
“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
                                                           Franklin D. Roosevelt

RSN172

« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2017, 10:59:18 AM »
We always keep an extra months worth in our go bags.  :thumbsup:

For you BI guys, ever think about elevating your H2O holding tanks. Solar DC pump from lower to upper and gravity feed.
Fair water pressure depending on tank elevation.

Luckily (sarcsm) we in Laie are on the "new and improved" low pressure sewage pump sytsem.
Fortunately I have a 240 set up for my genny but not sure how it will pump into main line after awhile.  :shake: :shake: :shake:
For a small tank, up to about 2k gal it would be ok.  It would be a bit of work to elevate 10k gal and I wouldn't want it where it could flood the house if it broke.  A gas powered water pump can be had for around $400.  I have a small 330 gal tank that I could easily elevate.

Rocky

« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2017, 09:01:06 AM »
Hey RSN

Heres a bit of info on H2O PSI
http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=271692
10ft = 4.34psi to 4.46 or every 2.31 column feet of water gives 1 psi.  :wacko:

As for the rest, I'll re-post this handy real life Hurricane post full of great info regarding before, after and shooulda, coulda, woulda.  :thumbsup:
http://www.theplacewithnoname.com/blogs/klessons/p/0007.html
“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
                                                           Franklin D. Roosevelt

Surf

« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2017, 04:53:13 PM »
BI home is 100% off grid. 10k main tank, 3k military issue onion bladder tank, 110Gal elevated tank for a gravity fed bathroom in addition to multiple catchments for stand alone watering stations for gardens and animals. Rain is not an issue.  Solar and good amount of fuel and propane but if it comes down to it we could go without pumps and gravity filter the drinking water as needed.