New hunter (Read 2022 times)

808AJ

New hunter
« on: August 19, 2017, 07:15:28 PM »
Been living on Oahu since 03 and now just getting into hunting. I'll be purchasing a rifle in the new future and planning to take the hunters ed course soon. Currently I'm a student at Manoa and part time assistant researcher. Mahalo!  :shaka:

oldfart

Re: New hunter
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2017, 07:18:16 PM »
Welcome to the forum :thumbsup:
What, Me Worry?

Flapp_Jackson

Re: New hunter
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2017, 08:29:10 PM »
Been living on Oahu since 03 and now just getting into hunting. I'll be purchasing a rifle in the new future and planning to take the hunters ed course soon. Currently I'm a student at Manoa and part time assistant researcher. Mahalo!  :shaka:

Welcome to the forum!  I saw you asking for advise on buying a hunting rifle.  Opinions on that are far and wide here.

For my part, I'd say set a budget.  Then decide if you are going to include a scope. 

Often, new buyers focus on the rifle and "cheap out" on the scope.  I recommend the opposite.  Get the best glass your budget allows while still affording a rifle in the better-than-average range.  If you find a deal on a better rifle, you'll still have a quality scope to mount on it.

There are lots of discussions on here comparing scopes, rifles and ammo for hunting.  Start reading the most recent first and work in reverse time order.  That'll get you started and help you come up with specific questions.

Have fun!   :shaka:
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall