NRA is teaching the Training Counselors at several events in 2018, then the TC's will teach other instructors. The course is modular from 1 to 16 hours, allows the addition of State specific instruction, and choice to include livefire or not. I plan on teaching a student course when I get back, then train TC's and instructors later this summer.
Requirements to take the NRA CCW instructor class are:
1. NRA Basic Pistol instructor
2. Have a current BIT or be a TC
3. Take the NRA CCW student class
Advantages over the old NRA Personal Protection Outside the Home course:
1. Instructors can take 1 less class for instructor credentials (PPOTH required Instructor course in PPITH)
2. Flexibility in hours required to teach the course, could be done in one day instead of 2.
3. No requirement to be a LEO or attorney to teach the law portion of the class.
4. Live fire is not required.
I still recommend having a live fire portion to any CCW class though since most people don't get any training on self-defense shooting.