Super glue? (Read 6405 times)

ACADEMI

• Trade Count: (0)
Super glue?
« on: July 02, 2013, 09:46:10 AM »
Ive seen someone patch up some deep lacerations with crazy glue... so is it safe? would you do it if you had to?

macsak

Re: Super glue?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2013, 09:59:42 AM »
last time i was at the ER (10+ years ago)
there was a dispenser on the wall with sterile packs of super glue
that should tell you something

Ive seen someone patch up some deep lacerations with crazy glue... so is it safe? would you do it if you had to?

ACADEMI

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2013, 10:10:44 AM »
last time i was at the ER (10+ years ago)
there was a dispenser on the wall with sterile packs of super glue
that should tell you something
I guess I'm going to stick some in my bug out bag!!!

Q

>:D
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2013, 11:03:18 AM »
« Last Edit: September 09, 2016, 10:13:18 PM by Q »

sworbeyegib

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2013, 11:37:28 AM »
Ive seen it used before, and yes, it does work when needed.  Not to mention super glue is one of those crazy useful items in a small package, that should have a place in every junk drawer, first aid kit, and backpack.

clshade

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2013, 01:48:29 PM »
From what I understand, superglue was originally being designed as an instant bandage.

They never got any kind of FDA rating for it, though. Too useful as glue and FDA approval was not needed. Just remember that there is nothing medical grade about it. I'd consider it an excellent last resort.

+20 on keeping some with you. More of the smaller tubes are better since they tend to cure fairly soon after being opened. You can reuse them for a while but if it sits in the first aid kit for a while... better to have another fresh one just to be sure.

ACADEMI

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2013, 07:26:24 PM »
From what I understand, superglue was originally being designed as an instant bandage.

They never got any kind of FDA rating for it, though. Too useful as glue and FDA approval was not needed. Just remember that there is nothing medical grade about it. I'd consider it an excellent last resort.

+20 on keeping some with you. More of the smaller tubes are better since they tend to cure fairly soon after being opened. You can reuse them for a while but if it sits in the first aid kit for a while... better to have another fresh one just to be sure.
HMMM! i didn know that about super glue. thanks guys for the knowledge that you shared upon the subject.

mr snuffalupagus

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2013, 11:03:25 PM »
Pretty much what everyone has said... use it if you must.  but clean and disinfect the wound very well.
Ive done it on  relatively minor cuts that would have taken a few stitches had I had medical insurance at the time.
Also used it on the tip of my dog's ear when it wouldn't stop bleeding. shes a pit/lab mix and has floppy ears and likes to shake her head after the gets up from a nap. Kept knocking the scab off the little cut she got on her ear from a thorn bush and spraying dog blood everywhere.  Superglue did the trick nicely.
Also for cleaning minor wounds (Stuff that could take a few stitches) I found that using that gum numbing stuff for toothaches and teething kids dribbled into the cut will burn like a SOB, then get numb enough to pick gravel or crud out of it.  The active ingedient is lidocaine or benzocaine if I recall correctly. It's not as good as getting a local shot... but its useful.
Never had the balls to try using it as an injected local... wonder if it would work?

Also its not a bad idea to learn how to  stitch wounds closed. You can practice on meat, (pork with the skin on is best)  or fruit (oranges work well as practice dummies)
You can pick up milsurp suture kits pretty cheap.

ghost_medic

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2013, 06:17:34 PM »
HMMM! i didn know that about super glue. thanks guys for the knowledge that you shared upon the subject.

dermabond is available on amazon http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B007M0U4S4/?tag=2ahawaii-20

Hi state

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2013, 11:21:48 PM »
Just had to use some crazyglue on a cut today stitches in a bottle :thumbsup:

Q

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2013, 12:30:25 AM »
« Last Edit: September 09, 2016, 10:24:49 PM by Q »

branz1029

Archangel

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2013, 01:52:13 PM »
Ordinary cyanoacrylate adhesives will work but it doesnt store well or long and degrades rapidly after opening. If you keep some in your first aid kit you should check it regularly and have alternatives on hand. A suture kit would be great but regular butterfly bandages or a small sewing kit would usually work just as well.

HiCarry

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2013, 04:02:41 PM »
Pretty much what everyone has said... use it if you must.  but clean and disinfect the wound very well.
Ive done it on  relatively minor cuts that would have taken a few stitches had I had medical insurance at the time.
Also used it on the tip of my dog's ear when it wouldn't stop bleeding. shes a pit/lab mix and has floppy ears and likes to shake her head after the gets up from a nap. Kept knocking the scab off the little cut she got on her ear from a thorn bush and spraying dog blood everywhere.  Superglue did the trick nicely.
Also for cleaning minor wounds (Stuff that could take a few stitches) I found that using that gum numbing stuff for toothaches and teething kids dribbled into the cut will burn like a SOB, then get numb enough to pick gravel or crud out of it.  The active ingedient is lidocaine or benzocaine if I recall correctly. It's not as good as getting a local shot... but its useful.
Never had the balls to try using it as an injected local... wonder if it would work?

Also its not a bad idea to learn how to  stitch wounds closed. You can practice on meat, (pork with the skin on is best)  or fruit (oranges work well as practice dummies)
You can pick up milsurp suture kits pretty cheap.

DO NOT try to inject topical anesthetics....bad, bad idea....

sliver

« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2013, 12:44:05 AM »
DO NOT try to inject topical anesthetics....bad, bad idea....

yep, that is a fantastic way on how to create an abscess and/or granuloma!  do not inject topicals!!!

BTW:  The reason why lidocaine stings is because it is acidic.  If you wanna stop the sting, mix it in a 10:1 ratio with sodium bicarb (4.7%) and it will cut the sting but still works just fine as a LA.  remember not to OD yourself on lidocaine.  You don't wanna get heart problems from it haha.  If you have to, dilute it with saline if you need the volume to block a large enough area.

Superglue itself stings when used.  I myself like staples better.   

You only have about 6 hours to wash out any lacerate.  After that, if you try to close the wound your just asking for an abscess or worst (just leave it open to heal by secondary intentions).  Make sure you get 9psi worth of pressure with the irrigation solution.  Any less and you won't have enough pressure to actually clean the wound out thoroughly and any more and you'll force the fluid subq. 

« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 12:50:18 AM by sliver »