Who are you going to vote for? (Read 3124 times)

passivekinetic

Who are you going to vote for?
« on: July 23, 2020, 07:34:10 PM »
Mayor I will vote for Kym Pine.

The others I am not impressed (no need to explain to you guys about C.H. and M.H.), and I also saw an attack ad on TV against Amemiya and too bad, it made him look real bad.

Kym Pine apparently is a Democrat (so she has a chance of winning in HI) but is also a gun owner (says a lot about how you really feel). So, as long as the liberals don't realize that, it's all good.

Kym Pine has traction, so I want my vote (and those of people I talk to) to have a winning chance.

What are your folks' views on the Republican reps?
Ron CURTIS
James DICKENS
Nancy OLSON
Artuo P. REYES
Taylor SMITH

"The sheep fear sheepdogs, because they fail to see the wolves."
- Anonymous

oldfart

Re: Who are you going to vote for?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2020, 09:43:04 PM »
I like kym pine but I used to work for blangiardi.
He entrusted me to run a critical operation.
He was a good guy to work for and we have a mutual respect for each other.
What, Me Worry?

eyeeatingfish

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2020, 11:21:00 PM »
I was looking at either Blangiardi or Pine. I also considered Stonebraker (i mean come on, the name is just cool) and though he does seem to have an impressive past his webpage covered so little in the way of policies and one of his big ones seemed like rolling back too many covid19 protections so I am not sure I could support him.

I got the ballot yesterday. Marked a few and have to do a little research on some of the choices. No idea among the republican candidates and I am curious what the heck the Shopping Party is.

Rocky

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2020, 09:43:18 AM »
    We're for StoneBraker . :thumbsup:

Civil Beat had interviews with MOST mayoral and PA, Here's Stony's
https://www.civilbeat.org/2020/06/candidate-qa-honolulu-mayor-bud-stonebraker/

For PA it's Meagna Kau  :thumbsup:
https://www.civilbeat.org/2020/07/megan-kau-promises-to-prosecute-all-crimes-in-new-tv-ad/

Funny is CB asked all the same questions to candidates while Star Ad and HNN had "selective" questions that were biased between questioning Rep and dems  :wtf:
“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
                                                           Franklin D. Roosevelt

mrgaf

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2020, 02:31:18 PM »
Voting for these guys.... fresh faces but still dummies... they should fit rite in with Hawaii politicos and politics.... :thumbsup:

New poster child for the demoncratic party....

To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.  Thomas Paine.

No man can get rich in politics unless he is a crook.  It cannot be done. Harry Truman

Only good liberal is one taking a dirt nap.

eyeeatingfish

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2020, 10:34:34 PM »
Out of the people running for congress I picked Ron Curtis. His website contained fairly lengthy and thought out positions on a number of topics. Some of the other republicans didn't really seem to be as serious or have as much thought. One of them even sounded a little on the crazy side.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2020, 09:24:15 PM by eyeeatingfish »

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2020, 11:29:09 PM »
Out of the people running for congress I picked. His website contained fairly lengthy and thought out positions on a number of topics. Some of the other republicans didn't really seem to be as serious or have as much thought. One of them even sounded a little on the crazy side.

Leave something out?   :geekdanc:
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

mrgaf

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2020, 06:49:01 AM »
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.  Thomas Paine.

No man can get rich in politics unless he is a crook.  It cannot be done. Harry Truman

Only good liberal is one taking a dirt nap.

robtmc

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2020, 07:47:25 AM »
   Funny is CB asked all the same questions to candidates while Star Ad and HNN had "selective" questions that were biased between questioning Rep and dems  :wtf:
Have to carefully filter what info the low-information drones in Hawaii are allowed to see.

groveler

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2020, 06:11:56 PM »
Have to carefully filter what info the low-information drones in Hawaii are allowed to see.
I quit reading CB as they banned me for insulting
a Democrat or something like that.
Even the Russians and Chinese don't permanently "Ban" me
They do delete my comments but allow speech.
interesting. American Democrats aren't very open
to different ideas. But Russians, Chinese, and Asian
Indians are.

eyeeatingfish

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2020, 09:24:42 PM »
Leave something out?   :geekdanc:

I did, thanks for catching it. Edited my post.

hvybarrels

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2020, 12:16:36 PM »
Ron Curtis is too much of an insider for my taste. The points that JD Dickens made were much more in line with my values, including gun control. Plus his website is less annoying.
“Wars happen when the government tells you who the enemy is. Revolutions happen when you figure it out for yourselves.”

passivekinetic

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2020, 11:57:41 PM »
OK, I'm gonna vote for Ron Curtis.

Dickens didn't even have a website, in this day and age, 2020 for crying out loud. Or at least I couldn't find one, which is also a problem (i.e., he is clueless). Only some Facebook page, and doh, I deleted my FB account years ago, so I can't see crap about him.

Curtis has a STEM background, not a dummy, and what I read on his website didn't make me puke. Being an insider can be useful to use connections and leverage to make things happen.

https://roncurtis808.com/background-bio/
"The sheep fear sheepdogs, because they fail to see the wolves."
- Anonymous

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2020, 08:47:52 PM »
The elections folks recommend getting your Primary Ballots mailed 3 days prior to election day.  That would be WEDNESDAY this week  --  as in TOMORROW!   :geekdanc:

If you don't get it mailed in time, or just don't trust the post office to get it there in time, there are places to drop them off from now until the polls close.

https://www.kitv.com/story/42389804/where-to-drop-off-your-voted-mail-ballot-packet

or

https://histategis.maps.arcgis.com/apps/MapSeries/index.html?appid=40a88743b85b4fbfb8cf6128bacfedcf

(click on "Places of Deposit Only")

I'm planning to drop mine off at the Mililani Park and Ride tomorrow.  I don't want some mail carrier or mailbox vandal to intercept my ballot before delivery.

Unlike many states, Hawaii ballots must be received by the time polls close the day of the election.  Other states look at the postmark and count them as on-time if marked before the polls close.

:shaka:
-- Melvin Udall

ren

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2020, 07:52:17 PM »
disappointing. Our anti2A menace is holding on...
Deeds Not Words

oldfart

« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2020, 08:55:06 PM »
It was so funny to watch people running up to the collection box just seconds before 7pm.
Some people got there too late but a lady was collecting ballots anyway.
What, Me Worry?

ren

« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2020, 09:19:54 PM »
It was so funny to watch people running up to the collection box just seconds before 7pm.

yep..there was a line at the copy machines at Times....
Deeds Not Words

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2020, 09:21:45 PM »

And we expect them to be able to do vote-by-mail for Presidential elections?

I'd prefer they stay home without a mail in ballot if they can't get the easy stuff right!
-- Melvin Udall