brass catcher designs (Read 28552 times)

dirsh

Re: brass catcher designs
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2012, 11:56:41 PM »
I forget how much i paid. I think it was 45. I just remembered thinking it was totally worth the cost. I think he has them with him when he's there

Sometimes people's brass hitting me gets irritating. One time this group beside me had EVERY single casing from EVERY rifle they were shooting hit me. They were cool and kept apologizing and one of them ended up holding a hat to catch the brass. I think it would be great if brass catchers were required
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
╾━╤デ╦︻

sound wave

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • 1,540 meters per second
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2012, 12:11:35 AM »
thanks for the info.  so the height of the pole does go up and down?

seems like buying that one for the silhouette and pistol side would be better than trying to build my own. 

I wouldn't need to use it at the rifle side since I have one for that purpose.

Dolomite

« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2012, 11:23:26 AM »
How do we get a hold of Tony to buy one? What does he look like? I really want one of those....

Inspector

« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2012, 12:00:48 PM »
Just go to the pistol range at Kokohead and ask for Tony and tell him what you and give him cash.  :thumbsup:
SCIENCE THAT CAN’T BE QUESTIONED IS PROPAGANDA!!!

Dolomite

« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2012, 01:45:37 PM »
Cool thanks

stangzilla

« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2012, 03:14:01 PM »
fabbing mine at the moment.
got a clamp on lamp with moveable neck from walmart for $5
removed the light and cut off the wires
gonna zip tie the net to the moveable neck of the lamp.  and theres my brass catcher.
i might need to build a small base for it to clamp onto.  but thats easy.

otherwise revolvers ftw.   :shaka:

dirsh

« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2012, 06:05:06 PM »
fabbing mine at the moment.
got a clamp on lamp with moveable neck from walmart for $5
removed the light and cut off the wires
gonna zip tie the net to the moveable neck of the lamp.  and theres my brass catcher.
i might need to build a small base for it to clamp onto.  but thats easy.

otherwise revolvers ftw.   :shaka:

post pics when you're done  :thumbsup:
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
╾━╤デ╦︻

jc2721

« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2012, 06:41:22 PM »
It's more like only one or two specific people constantly complain. It will be required on the rifle side and the RO's on the pistol side are already trying to keep the brass under control. But I am afraid it will probably spill over on that side as well.
I'm in favor of brass catchers, particularly with guys shooting semi-autos at the rifle range.  I hate it when someone's brass bounces off of my rifles.

Anyway, my brass catcher is an old fishing net with the handle cut off around 7 or 8 inches.  It's nailed onto a board and butted up against the bench rests at the range.  I put a box or two of ammo to weight it down and it works well.  Total cost was one dollar for the net (found it at the swap meet), a piece of scrap lumber and a wood screw.

Years ago I bought one of those adjustable brass catchers from the mainland and it's worked well at the pistol range.  It is too big and bulky for the rifle range, hence the fishing net.

sound wave

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2012, 07:34:46 PM »
I'm in favor of brass catchers, particularly with guys shooting semi-autos at the rifle range.  I hate it when someone's brass bounces off of my rifles.

i don't notice a problem with brass bouncing off my rifles..  it more so when it bounces off my head...  or burns my neck.  then when the guy shooting either doesn't know it is hitting me, or pretends that he doesn't know.

too bad they can't partition the pistol stalls so that the brass won't hit the person next to the shooter.  then again i am sure that would be on the bottom of their priority list if at all.

GZire

« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2012, 07:55:46 PM »
I hate that brass catchers would become mandatory.  If that's the case, then it should be no shooting without covered footwear, long pants, long sleeves, etc.

Bota-CS1

« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2012, 10:33:39 PM »
I'm all for brass catchers on the rifle side.  Nothing worse than some dipstick spraying your wife with his brass.  Worse was he saw the first couple hit her and went kept on shooting until I stood up between the benches and asked him to stop.  I think I'll come up with a brass catcher that'll deflect spent brass back at these kinds of shooters...call it my F-U Catcher mk1.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 10:40:40 PM by Bota-CS1 »
No one is coming, it’s up to us.

Legislation should never be about depriving law abiding citizens of something, but rather taking those things away from criminals.

stangzilla

« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2012, 08:52:43 AM »
post pics when you're done  :thumbsup:

will do.  i hope it doesn't look ghetto.  but as long as it works.

sound wave

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2012, 08:58:43 AM »
will do.  i hope it doesn't look ghetto.  but as long as it works.

you should leave the light bulb and plug.  that way, when you are waiting in the dark for the range to open, you can turn on your lamp and do some reading  double function.    ;D

hey man, if it prevents your neighbor from getting hit by hot shells, i don't think he will care how ghetto it looks.

stangzilla

« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2012, 09:14:15 AM »
saw a nice one at the pistol side.
a guy screwed a fishing net into the top of a mini tri-pod.

i also thought about bringing an extra big piece of cardboard and fix it to the bench next to me
so it deflects the brass from others.

ren

« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2012, 10:02:42 AM »
I'm all for brass catchers on the rifle side.  Nothing worse than some dipstick spraying your wife with his brass.  Worse was he saw the first couple hit her and went kept on shooting until I stood up between the benches and asked him to stop.  I think I'll come up with a brass catcher that'll deflect spent brass back at these kinds of shooters...call it my F-U Catcher mk1.
Yeah, I got burned, it is still healing. A guy in his tacticool, KAC carbine did a Haley, Costa mag dump till the RO stopped him. I was shooting prone next to him. I don't mind a few pelts etc. as it is part of shooting but have some sense of courtesy.
Deeds Not Words

angioman

« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2012, 11:31:10 AM »
I'm gonna make one like this with a laundry bag, pvc and some clamps..should cost around 5 bucks...laundry bag from walmart, pvc from CM, and bas5e clamps or wood from CM...here is a video link

Teichi

« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2012, 12:05:32 PM »
Yeah, I got burned, it is still healing. A guy in his tacticool, KAC carbine did a Haley, Costa mag dump till the RO stopped him. I was shooting prone next to him. I don't mind a few pelts etc. as it is part of shooting but have some sense of courtesy.

You should get a direction adjustable muzzle brake made for that special someone close to you. Your AR-10 puts out a 1 foot ball of flame. Why waste it all that unburnt powder on the weeds in front your firing point?

ren

« Reply #37 on: December 12, 2012, 03:03:05 PM »
You should get a direction adjustable muzzle brake made for that special someone close to you. Your AR-10 puts out a 1 foot ball of flame. Why waste it all that unburnt powder on the weeds in front your firing point?

Deeds Not Words

GZire

« Reply #38 on: December 12, 2012, 08:05:06 PM »

Any muzzle break is pretty bad except for anyone directly behind the rifle.  I did see one guy with a home made flash hider, except it was more like a flash accentuator............I swear to God you could see a beach ball sized fireball at 12:00 noon on a sunny day..........it was quite impressive.

sound wave

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 19, 2012, 12:33:25 AM »
is tony there wed-fri as well?  or just on the weekend?  planning on picking it up this week.

thanks.