casing the joint (Read 5260 times)

hvybarrels

casing the joint
« on: January 01, 2019, 11:58:22 AM »
Two guys came by this morning (new years day) asking if I needed any rock walls or landscaping. They were wearing lavalavas with yellow safety vests and driving a beat up white crown vic. I got the feeling they weren't looking for work but checking the place out. It seems like we get this kind of probing regularly where we are. Definitely feeling fortunate to not be a 'brunch' type of person today. I wish the dog barked louder but she had a face full of fresh pork.
“Wars happen when the government tells you who the enemy is. Revolutions happen when you figure it out for yourselves.”

changemyoil66

Re: casing the joint
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2019, 12:42:22 PM »
Motion cams that alert ur phone give piece of mind. Wyze is cheap on amazon.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Q

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2019, 07:16:40 PM »
Certain demographic used to stall breadfruit.

I got geese, and they no longer even come near the fence.

WTF?Shane

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2019, 07:34:49 PM »
Certain demographic used to stall breadfruit.

I got geese, and they no longer even come near the fence.

Steal or stall? And who won’t come near the fence? The geese?

hvybarrels

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2019, 12:48:31 AM »
That's a great idea. Guard geese are afraid of nothing.
“Wars happen when the government tells you who the enemy is. Revolutions happen when you figure it out for yourselves.”

changemyoil66

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2019, 08:17:43 AM »
That's a great idea. Guard geese are afraid of nothing.

Hey geese are no joke.  Super territorial.  Might need a permit by HPD for them.

macsak

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2019, 10:01:36 AM »
Hey geese are no joke.  Super territorial.  Might need a permit by HPD for them.

"get a big goose"

drck1000

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2019, 10:14:18 AM »
Growing up, my uncle's property had geese.  The long neck African geese were pretty big and aggressive.  Luckily, I was one of the main ones feeding them when they were young, so they recognized me.  They were super territorial though.  They make a lot of noise in the morning and late evening, so it did cause some friction with neighboring property owners.  I think one of them unleashed their hunting dogs into my uncle's property one time. 

RSN172

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2019, 05:23:10 PM »
Motion cams that alert ur phone give piece of mind. Wyze is cheap on amazon.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I have two Wyze cameras, the ones that can pan and tilt remotely.  It also has a setting that will track motion.  Works very well and only $87 for the pair from Amazon.  There are indoor cams only.  I also have three Blink XT for the outside.   What I like about the Blink cameras is that they send the recordings to the cloud and they are wireless. So even if someone wants to steal the cameras, the recordings would still be there. Not so with the other camera systems.

Regarding geese, the Russian or Chinese geese are the best for guard duty.  Some breeds will not guard at all.  A medium size or bigger dog can kill geese pretty easily.  The good things are they require no training for guard duty, cannot be bribed with treats like most dogs and will eat mostly grass and weeds and leave other plants alone.

changemyoil66

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2019, 02:38:44 PM »
I have two Wyze cameras, the ones that can pan and tilt remotely.  It also has a setting that will track motion.  Works very well and only $87 for the pair from Amazon.  There are indoor cams only.  I also have three Blink XT for the outside.   What I like about the Blink cameras is that they send the recordings to the cloud and they are wireless. So even if someone wants to steal the cameras, the recordings would still be there. Not so with the other camera systems.

Regarding geese, the Russian or Chinese geese are the best for guard duty.  Some breeds will not guard at all.  A medium size or bigger dog can kill geese pretty easily.  The good things are they require no training for guard duty, cannot be bribed with treats like most dogs and will eat mostly grass and weeds and leave other plants alone.

Didn't know they make ones you can pan remotely.  Sometimes when the wife plugs it in, she moves it and can't see the right angle.

Swans I heard are very protective also.

Or if we had squirrel here.  Notice the stack on safe.

drck1000

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2019, 04:17:52 PM »
I have an Uokoo (SP?) that can PTZ remotely and a Nest that is fixed, but has a wide angle view that you can zoom in with decent resolution.  The good thing about the Nest is that you can have it record for playback.  I think we have the service to record 10 days.  The motion detection and alerts for the Nest is pretty good.  Don't get many false notifications. 

hvybarrels

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2019, 10:45:57 AM »
Jeez it happened again. Two different dudes no car. Went out to talk with them and they were like "oh we were looking for a different address".

changemyoil66

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2019, 01:17:17 PM »
Jeez it happened again. Two different dudes no car. Went out to talk with them and they were like "oh we were looking for a different address".

Damn dude, where do u live? (not going case your place)

But good thing you were there.  Hopefully they do not see it as a soft target since you was watching and move on. 

I had a neighbor who was not working so he was in the open garage for our apt all day working on his cars.  This was good for the building because it showed all day someone was visible and watching...Then he got a job.

London808

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2019, 05:43:31 PM »
My neighbors mom was just robbed this week, Shes 95. Lady came to to the door and asked to use the restroom. They took her purse. was used at an ATM in Palolo (had pin written down because shes old)
"Mr. Roberts is a bit of a fanatic, he has previously sued HPD about gun registration issues." : Major Richard Robinson 2016

hvybarrels

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2019, 07:01:22 PM »
I'm in the back of one of the valleys in town where it's a bit quieter. I haven't made friends with my neighbors yet and probably should. We seem to be getting probed a lot.