My Bolt Action .308 Win & 6.5 CM Reloading - Sharing Experience (Read 22574 times)

drck1000

Re: My Bolt Action .308 Win & 6.5 CM Reloading - Sharing Experience
« Reply #120 on: September 23, 2021, 07:13:59 AM »
Ordered a barrel… should I be concerned about harmonics?

SNIP
Dunno.  Whack yourself in the head a few times and check the pitch. . .

808Hunta

« Reply #121 on: September 24, 2021, 07:30:29 PM »
Ordered a barrel… should I be concerned about harmonics?

Nice, what did you order? For your BR?

I just got in some barrels, stocks and a chassis as well. But might be a little til l get things going.

808Hunta

« Reply #122 on: September 24, 2021, 07:31:12 PM »
Dunno.  Whack yourself in the head a few times and check the pitch. . .
:rofl:

Ocean19

« Reply #123 on: September 24, 2021, 11:32:50 PM »
Nice, what did you order? For your BR?

I just got in some barrels, stocks and a chassis as well. But might be a little til l get things going.
What calibers are you going to run?

808Hunta

« Reply #124 on: September 24, 2021, 11:57:30 PM »
What calibers are you going to run?
Calibers are 243/6mm, 264/6.5mm, 284/7mm and 308

Cartridges are looking like 280 AI, 7mm-08, 6.5x47 lapua, 6x47 lapua, 6BR, 6.5 Sherman, 30 Sherman magnum. Possibly another 6.5x284 and 243 AI with Bartlein 400MODBB Barrels. All the short action gonna be switch barrel off a defiance currently a 6XC.

Ocean19

« Reply #125 on: September 24, 2021, 11:59:39 PM »

Cartridges are looking like 280 AI, 7mm-08, 6.5x47 lapua, 6x47 lapua, 6BR, 6.5 Sherman, 30 Sherman magnum. Possibly another 6.5x284 and 243 AI with Bartlein 400MODBB Barrels. All the short action gonna be switch barrel off a defiance currently a 6XC.
Holly hell you don’t mess around!!!!

Do you chamber your own barrels?

drck1000

« Reply #126 on: September 25, 2021, 06:48:57 AM »

So…. What did you order?  ???

So you can test the “harmonics”  ;D

808Hunta

« Reply #127 on: September 25, 2021, 08:21:55 AM »

I wish lol unfortunately I don't chamber my own. Short action stuff Marc Soulie is doing and the long action stuff Chad Dixon. Waiting on some chamber reamers and go gauges for the wildcats.

drck1000

« Reply #128 on: September 25, 2021, 09:41:33 AM »

Whoa!  That’s quite a quiver in the works!  What size animal is the 7mm have in it’s sights? 

The 6.5x47 Lapua is another interesting one for my interests.  I was thinking of that one as alternative to 6.5 CM. 

6.5x284 seems popular for a wide range of uses as well.  The more I get into .308, I want to refine and get better at that cartridge, but also see the potential for other cartridges.  Sticking with get better at that I have now with loading setup for .308 and eventually with 6.5 CM.  But other cartridges are always “calling my name”. 

808Hunta

« Reply #129 on: September 25, 2021, 02:52:41 PM »
Whoa!  That’s quite a quiver in the works!  What size animal is the 7mm have in it’s sights? 

The 6.5x47 Lapua is another interesting one for my interests.  I was thinking of that one as alternative to 6.5 CM. 

6.5x284 seems popular for a wide range of uses as well.  The more I get into .308, I want to refine and get better at that cartridge, but also see the potential for other cartridges.  Sticking with get better at that I have now with loading setup for .308 and eventually with 6.5 CM.  But other cartridges are always “calling my name”.

Howzit Bradda

Pretty much whatever hawaii has to offer lol.  It's getting to be a real pain traveling with firearms around the world. It's doable just getting to the point of hating the hassle lol. I had one years ago and always regretted selling it so wanting one back in the stable.

Yeah my current 6.5x47 lapua is quite heavy. So doing one with a bartlein CFW Barrel that's much lighter. Love the cartridge.

Yeah I built my first 6.5x284 Norma for my son. He loves it, I enjoy it a lot as well. Now that bartlein came out with their mod400bb barrels thinking of doing another one and another 243 AI. I just love to tinker lol nothing wrong with 308 bro it's a great cartridge. I've killed more game with that cartridge than I could ever remember lol. It's still one of my faves. My daughter's like the 6mm's so I work with them much more lol.

During this day and age burning north of 150 gr of powder per shot is counter productive lol so I moved away from the big stuff for awhile.

Great to see your experience grow my bradda. And all the knowledge as well

Happy shooting and loading, Aloha

Ocean19

« Reply #130 on: September 25, 2021, 03:08:57 PM »
So…. What did you order?  ???

So you can test the “harmonics”  ;D
Waiting on an HV 6BR 26” bartlien barrel.

I was reading mixed responses on the bolt action forums about heavier barrels. Some say there easy to tune with hand loads and some say for ultimate accuracy you will may need a tuner just because the barrel is so thick that minor changes in seating depth or powder load makes such a small diff down range.

Is the inside donut on the brass a concern? Some say yes and some say no.

Does neck turning make a difference? Some say yes and some say no.

Who knows depending on caliber, brass prep, powder, barrel, and chamber it all comes down to having to experiment based on what you have.

I’ve been following articles and videos of Lou Merdica who does a lot of testing. Interesting to hear his comments about what works and what doesn’t. He says if it doesn’t work at a 100 yards forget any distance further out.

I was also looking at a 30br. Interesting cartridge for target shooting and there was a section talking about hunting for those interested in that discipline.

drck1000

« Reply #131 on: September 25, 2021, 04:00:47 PM »
Waiting on an HV 6BR 26” bartlien barrel.

I was reading mixed responses on the bolt action forums about heavier barrels. Some say there easy to tune with hand loads and some say for ultimate accuracy you will may need a tuner just because the barrel is so thick that minor changes in seating depth or powder load makes such a small diff down range.

Is the inside donut on the brass a concern? Some say yes and some say no.

Does neck turning make a difference? Some say yes and some say no.

Who knows depending on caliber, brass prep, powder, barrel, and chamber it all comes down to having to experiment based on what you have.

I’ve been following articles and videos of Lou Merdica who does a lot of testing. Interesting to hear his comments about what works and what doesn’t. He says if it doesn’t work at a 100 yards forget any distance further out.

I was also looking at a 30br. Interesting cartridge for target shooting and there was a section talking about hunting for those interested in that discipline.
I think you're WAY over analyzing things.  Or at least my perspective is that at a certain point, you're going to just have to try and find out for yourself.  JMHO.  Knowing full well the variety of feedback one gets on forums, and not just this forum.  Ideally, you find folks where their interests align with yours and that helps.  But there are many folks that some of this stuff is academic (as in they don't really shoot all that much) or they don't give a lot of context of what their use is. 

I had a discussion with my gun builder on tuners or brake and just tune via hand loading.  Luckily, his shooting preferences or interests aligned decently (not the same) as mine.  That and there are many who are able to tune their setups for similar caliber, distances and accuracy expectation.  Personally, I'm not striving for ultimate accuracy.  If I were, I probably would have gone with a setup way different, and closer to the F-Class or benchrest setups.  I watched a few of the Lou Merdica videos, as well as some that are on the "members section" of a forum.  While that guy has seemingly been there and done that, not quite been doing what I am looking to do.  If you are looking to do that, that will be awesome.  And looks like quite expensive, as well a tremendous amount discipline to get there.  They buy barrels but bunches, powder but the 100s of pounds, whole lots of bullets, etc.  Craziness! But I can understand that that's what it takes (or can take) to get to their level.

drck1000

« Reply #132 on: September 25, 2021, 04:03:13 PM »
Howzit Bradda

Pretty much whatever hawaii has to offer lol.  It's getting to be a real pain traveling with firearms around the world. It's doable just getting to the point of hating the hassle lol. I had one years ago and always regretted selling it so wanting one back in the stable.

Yeah my current 6.5x47 lapua is quite heavy. So doing one with a bartlein CFW Barrel that's much lighter. Love the cartridge.

Yeah I built my first 6.5x284 Norma for my son. He loves it, I enjoy it a lot as well. Now that bartlein came out with their mod400bb barrels thinking of doing another one and another 243 AI. I just love to tinker lol nothing wrong with 308 bro it's a great cartridge. I've killed more game with that cartridge than I could ever remember lol. It's still one of my faves. My daughter's like the 6mm's so I work with them much more lol.

During this day and age burning north of 150 gr of powder per shot is counter productive lol so I moved away from the big stuff for awhile.

Great to see your experience grow my bradda. And all the knowledge as well

Happy shooting and loading, Aloha
Never thought about it that way.  Shooting say 6 mm cartridges would take a lot less powder than .308.  Maybe in the 10-20% less range.  Like a sale rate on powder.   ;D

I am certainly enjoying my adventures in shooting and reloading for precision.  Just wish I had more time to put into being in the loading room and at the range.  Hopefully will be back at it soon. 

Ocean19

My Bolt Action .308 Win & 6.5 CM Reloading - Sharing Experience
« Reply #133 on: September 25, 2021, 05:22:12 PM »
I think you're WAY over analyzing things.  Or at least my perspective is that at a certain point, you're going to just have to try and find out for yourself.  JMHO.  Knowing full well the variety of feedback one gets on forums, and not just this forum.  Ideally, you find folks where their interests align with yours and that helps.  But there are many folks that some of this stuff is academic (as in they don't really shoot all that much) or they don't give a lot of context of what their use is. 

I had a discussion with my gun builder on tuners or brake and just tune via hand loading.  Luckily, his shooting preferences or interests aligned decently (not the same) as mine.  That and there are many who are able to tune their setups for similar caliber, distances and accuracy expectation.  Personally, I'm not striving for ultimate accuracy.  If I were, I probably would have gone with a setup way different, and closer to the F-Class or benchrest setups.  I watched a few of the Lou Merdica videos, as well as some that are on the "members section" of a forum.  While that guy has seemingly been there and done that, not quite been doing what I am looking to do.  If you are looking to do that, that will be awesome.  And looks like quite expensive, as well a tremendous amount discipline to get there.  They buy barrels but bunches, powder but the 100s of pounds, whole lots of bullets, etc.  Craziness! But I can understand that that's what it takes (or can take) to get to their level.
Yes I see those peoples comments, forum gods and show up to the range and shooting is horrendous or NRA instructors who have questionable gun handling skills. I guess it’s all subjective.

I’m not over Analying, I just notice the trends of comments and what people are considering important and not important.

But I do notice people generalize and make assumptions which is all too common.

Sharing info as to what works for them with data is always the best. But no matter if they have the same so called parts for reloading or shooting they don’t do everything the same as another individual.

Like everything else it’s all subjective until you do it yourself. What works for one person may not work for another results may vary.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2021, 05:33:57 PM by Ocean19 »

Ocean19

« Reply #134 on: September 25, 2021, 05:39:24 PM »
There are some good guys who share good info who are really good shooters here so that’s good!!!!

808Hunta

« Reply #135 on: September 25, 2021, 08:36:50 PM »
Never thought about it that way.  Shooting say 6 mm cartridges would take a lot less powder than .308.  Maybe in the 10-20% less range.  Like a sale rate on powder.   ;D

I am certainly enjoying my adventures in shooting and reloading for precision.  Just wish I had more time to put into being in the loading room and at the range.  Hopefully will be back at it soon.
Hahaha true that!

Glad to hear it I'm in the same boat at the moment. Working on the bedroom so loading room is storage at the moment lol  So just trying to get these barrels etc done

macsak

« Reply #136 on: September 25, 2021, 08:45:38 PM »
Yes I see those peoples comments, forum gods and show up to the range and shooting is horrendous or NRA instructors who have questionable gun handling skills. I guess it’s all subjective.

I’m not over Analying, I just notice the trends of comments and what people are considering important and not important.

But I do notice people generalize and make assumptions which is all too common.

Sharing info as to what works for them with data is always the best. But no matter if they have the same so called parts for reloading or shooting they don’t do everything the same as another individual.

Like everything else it’s all subjective until you do it yourself. What works for one person may not work for another results may vary.

ocean19 always over analying...

drck1000

« Reply #137 on: October 16, 2021, 09:33:23 AM »
Most of the components in for 6.5 setup.  Dies, bushings, brass, heads, powder, etc. Need to pick up some cleaning supplies and an expander mandrel.  The ETA for the rifle is still over a month, so have plenty of time.  Debating on holding out for some sales over the holidays. 

Inspector

« Reply #138 on: October 16, 2021, 12:07:02 PM »
Most of the components in for 6.5 setup.  Dies, bushings, brass, heads, powder, etc. Need to pick up some cleaning supplies and an expander mandrel.  The ETA for the rifle is still over a month, so have plenty of time.  Debating on holding out for some sales over the holidays.
What powder and heads are you starting out with?
SCIENCE THAT CAN’T BE QUESTIONED IS PROPAGANDA!!!

drck1000

« Reply #139 on: October 16, 2021, 12:18:39 PM »
What powder and heads are you starting out with?
6.5 - Hornady ELD match 140 gr, Lapua LRP brass and H4350.  That powder and bullet combo seems highly recommended online as well as with my gun builder (their crew shoots a lot) 

308 - My current 308 that shows most promise is Berger 168 and 175 gr, Lapua LRP brass and Varget and 8208 show the most promise.  Now that I have the new 308 coming, not sure if I'll continue with the current gun that much.  I have a bunch of powders to try as well.  H4895, IMR 4064 (showed good results with current 308), and some random other powder.  Plan is to use some of those that don't make the cut with .308 for 1903 30-06.