Jungle Boots (Read 1903 times)

hvybarrels

Jungle Boots
« on: March 08, 2021, 10:50:39 PM »
I am looking for some boots for working outdoors in nasty muddy conditions on the side of a mountain where it rains most of the year. The issues I run into are traction, mud sticking to the sole, quick draining, and especially glue disintegration where the sole separates from the boot. Back in 2017 the announcement was made that the armed forces were field testing a new Jungle Combat Boot here in Hawaii and it sounded very interesting, but unfortunately they kept all their findings to themselves. I hear there are people who swear by some of the older vietnam designs but it is difficult to get specifics and there are a whole lot of companies out there who are pushing junk that falls apart after a few days of work. Does anyone have experience in this field or know someone who can offer advice? I am spending what seems like an awful lot of money on shoes that do not last very long in these conditions.

https://www.military.com/daily-news/2019/08/13/here-are-jungle-combat-boots-emerged-army-testing.html
“Wars happen when the government tells you who the enemy is. Revolutions happen when you figure it out for yourselves.”

Q

Re: Jungle Boots
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2021, 01:37:40 AM »
I am looking for some boots for working outdoors in nasty muddy conditions on the side of a mountain where it rains most of the year. The issues I run into are traction, mud sticking to the sole, quick draining, and especially glue disintegration where the sole separates from the boot. Back in 2017 the announcement was made that the armed forces were field testing a new Jungle Combat Boot here in Hawaii and it sounded very interesting, but unfortunately they kept all their findings to themselves. I hear there are people who swear by some of the older vietnam designs but it is difficult to get specifics and there are a whole lot of companies out there who are pushing junk that falls apart after a few days of work. Does anyone have experience in this field or know someone who can offer advice? I am spending what seems like an awful lot of money on shoes that do not last very long in these conditions.

https://www.military.com/daily-news/2019/08/13/here-are-jungle-combat-boots-emerged-army-testing.html

Belleville jungle or burma runner or altama black vulcanized if you want a traditional military/panama style boot (jungle runners were my preferred when I was more avid with hiking here)

Rocky Sv2 jungle or work and the bates jungle model are also decent.

Rocky

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2021, 08:29:29 AM »
iI have a pair of Rocky SV2 Tactical's and I must say they are the most comfortable boots I've ever worn. Unfortunately, they too suffered sole separation.
 I did re-glue and still use.
As for longevity, nothing beats my Red Wing work boots I've had for over 30 years !  :thumbsup:
They're beat up but they've been jumping into concrete for decades.
Red wing has a "Loggers Boot"  and a "CRV" which might be what you're looking for.
JMHO
“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
                                                           Franklin D. Roosevelt

hvybarrels

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2021, 11:14:57 AM »
Thanks for the recommendations. I was thinking about logger boots but not sure how fast they would fill up with water or how they would handle super sticky volcanic mud. It is an expensive gamble, but then again it is a product that will last for decades and can be rebuilt.

It looks like Hawaii Tactical Outfitter carries some different flavors of Jungle Boot so I will swing by and check them out. Any other places worth shopping?
“Wars happen when the government tells you who the enemy is. Revolutions happen when you figure it out for yourselves.”

RSN172

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2021, 12:04:28 PM »
I would just use a good pair of rubber boots.

hvybarrels

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2021, 01:39:49 PM »
I have a pair of those for the flat sutff, but they leave a lot to be desired on the steep inclines especially when it comes to traction and protection.

hvybarrels

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2021, 09:19:43 PM »
Today I had to repair all my shoes at the same time, even the rubber boots so i did some work barefoot. It was close to base camp and I had fun squishing mud between my toes but really grateful that the centipedes did not get me.

My repairs have been with shoe goo and loctite shoe glue so far but they both inevitably fail. Next I am thinking about trying the Great Stuff form-a-gasket because that has some incredible properties.

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2021, 10:38:56 PM »
Today I had to repair all my shoes at the same time, even the rubber boots so i did some work barefoot. It was close to base camp and I had fun squishing mud between my toes but really grateful that the centipedes did not get me.

My repairs have been with shoe goo and loctite shoe glue so far but they both inevitably fail. Next I am thinking about trying the Great Stuff form-a-gasket because that has some incredible properties.

Maybe try that Flex-Seal to repair.  Comes in tape, spray-on and paint-on versions in various colors.  On sale right now at Costco in clear.

I've tried it on several things around the house.  It works great!
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

QUIETShooter

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2021, 06:29:06 AM »
Redwings are awesome boots but soooo expensive.

Worth it though if you regularly do work on the side of the mountain.  I was going to say just go with rubber boots that was mentioned earlier but it doesn't provide ample ankle support.
Sometimes you gotta know when to save your bullets.

groveler

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2021, 08:40:12 AM »

For shoe repairs, flat out the best is 3M 5200 Marine adhesive. It takes a week to set up and is not cheap.
I keep two pairs of boots so one set can be repaired or dryout while you use the other pair.
Something I learned in the miltary.
I gave up on "waterproof" boots as the Goretex liners wear out well before the boot does,
So I buy boots that dry out quickly.
Bates Tactical sports are my present boots.

robtmc

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2021, 07:37:02 PM »
Had I known back when real mil-surp jungle boots were available, would have bought several pairs.   Most comfortable boot I ever wore.   Like the jungle utitlities vs. the thick tuck-in stateside crap.

All the Chi-com crap is a joke.  Looks like a decent boot these days is hyper expensive.

hvybarrels

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2021, 09:38:32 PM »
Had I known back when real mil-surp jungle boots were available, would have bought several pairs.   Most comfortable boot I ever wore.   Like the jungle utitlities vs. the thick tuck-in stateside crap.

All the Chi-com crap is a joke.  Looks like a decent boot these days is hyper expensive.

I have heard a lot of people express the same sentiment. Thanks for the verification that the legendary ones are not made any more and saving me the time looking.

Looks like a healthy serving of 3m Marine Adhesive in my near future and an expensive pair of loggers not too far down the road.